This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Power supply build quality pictorial. part 2

Thanks 370forlife, I was wondering who made it....I thought it looked like an Andyson at first minus the capacitor choices.

Comment

Got a decent little PSU here, well, after I modified it.... not sure who the OEM is

Originally had 560uF input caps, replaced with 820uF. Added a heatsink to the 8A bridge rectifier. Notice how it has a Viper22A for 5VSB I forgot the model of the MOSFETS, but it has 2 on that primary heatsink rated at 14A

Replaced all the capacitors of course, using some 3300uF 16V Samxon RS caps from behemot Originally, ALL of the caps were Asia-X.

I replaced the two 20A schottky's on the 12V with two 30A schottky's. This thing does indeed have dual 12V rails.

How many watts do you think this is good for? It likes to hang around 79% efficiency. I really need to get a load tester...
      Attached Files

Comment

I think it ExplodeGen or the other crap, looks very similar to different EuroCase PSUs on my market which also uses Asia-X. The transformer does not seem that big so I think some 400 W safe?
        Less jewellery, more gold into electrotech industry! Half of the computer problems is caused by bad contacts

Exclusive caps, meters and more!
        Hardware Insights - power supply reviews and more!

Comment

No way Codegen could make something like this Although yes 400W seems about right because of the transformer. When loaded to around 300W, the secondary heatsink got to around 50C so the fan kicked up to an audible level, but the primary heatsink was hardly warm at all

Comment

^
            They actually can. I have seen a couple of half-decent Codegens out there before. That said, I doubt they're behind that unit. I think it should do somewhere between 300 and 400W, depending on the switchers.
            I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Originally posted by c_hegge View Post
              ^
              They actually can. I have seen a couple of half-decent Codegens out there before. That said, I doubt they're behind that unit.
              Really? I haven't seen that many of them I'd be curious to see a decent one made by them. I remember it had 2 FET's made by some stupid name like "power chip" or something like that @14A
              Last edited by Pentium4; 06-09-2013, 04:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                Really? I haven't seen that many of them I'd be curious to see a decent one made by them.
                See http://prohardver.hu/tema/codegen_ta...z_601-650.html, about three quarters of the way down. There's some internals of one. It's a fair bit better than the gutless wonders that often come from them.

EDIT: I have also seen another decent one. It was a little different to that one, though. I think it might have been something like this one (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CODEGEN-C...item4ab2e1e03f)

Originally posted by Pentium4 View Post
                Do you also think this thing would top out around 400W?
                If it has 15A (continuous) switcher, like 2SC3320s, then 400W should be OK. With 12A switchers, (13009, D209L), then I wouldn't want to push it harder than 350W.
                Last edited by c_hegge; 06-09-2013, 04:48 AM.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Cool, thank you for the link. I'm fine with 400W, I believe it has just two 6 pin PCI-E connectors. But I will still be sure to check the specs on those FET's. I forgot to put in the original post, the 3.3V and 5V rails both have a 30A schottky as well, not that those are too important

Comment

Unless the fan(s) are almost sufficient for that P/S to hover, I'd agree with ~400W. Decent heatsinks, for that power level. Kind of wimpy O/P inductors - the cores, which are also -26 material rather than -52 (which would have lower losses, especially if the switching frequency is >50KHz). With those very uprated I/P lytics and 400W load you would have very decent hold-up and ride-through times for a 400W P/S. 560uF for 600W?

BTW, if that's a D/C on the main transformer, that thing was built this year.
                    Last edited by PeteS in CA; 06-09-2013, 08:01 AM.
                    PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                    To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                      Unless the fan(s) are almost sufficient for that P/S to hover, I'd agree with ~400W. Decent heatsinks, for that power level. Kind of wimpy O/P inductors - the cores, which are also -26 material rather than -52 (which would have lower losses, especially if the switching frequency is >50KHz). With those very uprated I/P lytics and 400W load you would have very decent hold-up and ride-through times for a 400W P/S. 560uF for 600W?

BTW, if that's a D/C on the main transformer, that thing was built this year.
                      The fan is a little slow, so this thing won't be doing any hovering

I wish that the primary and secondary heatsinks were swapped. The secondary heatsink is a little small in my opinion to have four TO-247 rectifiers attached to it. The output inductors are indeed pretty tiny. At least it has one for each 12V rail. I might swap them out for bigger ones, I just thought it was getting a little cramped in there on the secondary.

When you say "26 material cores" are you referring to the toroid coils?

I know, 560uF for "600W" ?

Yeah that's the date code on the transformer, very new. The date code on the other ones are fairly older
                      Last edited by Pentium4; 06-09-2013, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Micrometals powdered iron core materials

-26 and -52 material have the same permeability and the same inductance for a given number of turns, but -52 material is newer, has lower core losses above 50KHz, and costs a little more.
                        PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                        To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Very interesting. Thank you for that link

Comment

Micrometals is a US company, though I don't know where they manufacture their parts. At any rate, Micrometals -26 material was THE de facto standard material used in the P/S industry back in the late 70s and 80s, when I first worked in the industry. It was ubiquitous. Evidently, between that long-term market position and being able to keep their quality/price/availability good, Micrometals is still pretty much the industry de facto standard. One good development move was coming out with -52 material - lower losses above 50KHz - in the mid 80s, as MOSFETs were making such switch frequencies possible and MOSFET prices were coming down (and performance and reliability were improving). Micrometals was also in the forefront of recognizing and understanding the product life problem when the cores are operated at higher temperatures, and releasing high-temp materials for power products where higher temps can't be avoided (another reason to like P/Ss with really good cooling!).
                            PeteS in CA

Comment

Nice Liteon unit...Very well built for 300W. Replaced most of the caps of course.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Those finless heatsinks are somewhat disappointing, but that probably means it's an 80+ unit of sorts. The ADDA sleeve bearing fan probably will eventually fail if it hasn't been preemptively lubed. Lite-on PSUs are pretty well built, though. Their older units said on the label that they would sustain their labeled rating up to 50*C ambient. Definitely true from the way they were overbuilt inside.
                                Last edited by Wester547; 06-12-2013, 09:44 PM.

Comment

True, I do not like that style of heatsink either. Yeah that thing looks like it could handle some heat. Impressive to see a 6A bridge with a heatsink in a 300W PSU. And a 220uF input cap for a 300W is pretty impressive, I've seen single 220uF in 400W PSU's (That could actually do their wattage)

Comment

Linkworld AT psu with maximum out___put of 150W.

Every single electrolytic cap in this unit are Fuhjyyu, none appear to be bulging though and the PSU still works fine.

Input caps are 220uf 200V Fuhjyyu with Teapo style vents?
                                    Attached Files
                                    Last edited by Jooo; 06-17-2013, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jooo View Post
                                      Input caps are 220uf 200V Fuhjyyu with Teapo style vents?
                                      They even have all of the markings in the same locations as Teapo caps.

It might be able to handle 150W, but the ripple will probably be out of spec.

Comment

I would say that thing looks horrible, but for being made in Dec. 1996, it looks pretty good! Minus the caps of course. They look fine but they're probably dried out or out of spec. Interesting, the Teapo style vent on those input caps...And it has a bridge rectifier, wow! How many amps is it?

Looks like it'd do its rated wattage, although I think 220uF input caps are pretty wimpy even for a 150W PSU

Comment

I'd say it can do 100W with a headwind reasonably continuously.
                                          Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                                          For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Working...
                                          X