Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Asus N55SL total dead after BIOS flash

Hi again,

The laptop has been up and running with a hard drive for about an hour now and seems perfectly fine just getting a little hot but I guess that is expected with the hardware.

I took the heatsink and fan unit off and I was amazed at how much thermal paste the manufacturer actually used, it was even covering all the tiny capacitors/resistors on the surface of the GPU/CPU, it was also rock solid, and there were some extra plastic cut outs on top of these. It took me a good half an hour to carefully scrape the solid paste off the chips and then wash with IPA.

Am I right in thinking that the most efficient application of thermal paste is the smallest amount evenly covering the silver surface?? So why do they put so much, is it a tactic to make them overheat and break eventually once it dries out or something?

Also whats with the think plastic sheets? I can't see what advantage they wold have, if anything they would only trap heat underneath?

Thanks for all your help guys anyway, very happy it is back up and running!

Comment

to know if it's a thermal paste problem, if cpu adn gpu are hot (fan spinning at max) but the air is not so hot then is thermal paste problem.

for the quantity, just use a small quantity hat cover all the chip.

u see on most all notebok that they put big quantity to just be sure they have put more then less (not as good but we know who assemble pc... sometimes are person with 0 knowledge). and most of the time use bad quality brand (had to change once the original thermal pase on a peak ati 3870. me and all other 3 m8 had to change the thermal paste because gpu was not woring fine.

Comment

Well it works and with that nice machine it would be weird not to heat like that.
        About the thermal paste , well that is applied automatically by machines so better more then too little , but only a nice sheet that cover the metal portion of the chip is enough.
        Clean the dust once every 6-8 months and it will be ok.

And next time don't break it if it works.

Comment

Hi sorry to dig up an old thread but im in the exact same situation with the same board/bios. I bought a new bios chip with the 207 bios flashed to it by the seller and swapped it with my bad bios. before installing the new chip the laptop was completely dead, no lights/fans etc, after installing the new bios I now have power back to the laptop but it still wont post/boot. It tries to read the dvd drive and lights up a usb stick when you press the power button but nothing else. I also cant force a re-flash using the ctrl-home combo. Anyone have any ideas please?

Comment

Originally posted by rutter82 View Post
            Hi sorry to dig up an old thread but im in the exact same situation with the same board/bios. I bought a new bios chip with the 207 bios flashed to it by the seller and swapped it with my bad bios. before installing the new chip the laptop was completely dead, no lights/fans etc, after installing the new bios I now have power back to the laptop but it still wont post/boot. It tries to read the dvd drive and lights up a usb stick when you press the power button but nothing else. I also cant force a re-flash using the ctrl-home combo. Anyone have any ideas please?
            Make some photos of the whole board.

Top view its ok. Not only a few zones. The whole board with macro.
            Just cook it! It's already broken.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I will have to disassemble the laptop to get the pic's you need. I should be able to do it tomorrow and get them posted. It is the exact same motherboard as the OP and only failed after a BIOS update. The new BIOS chip I installed had the 207 BIOS pre installed on it.

Comment

Just repaired an identical one - ASUS N55SL laptop, board N55SF with bios dump i found here.

Thanks!!

Comment

If you have fan 100% give me dump to try to solve me region problem
                  Im Back... sort of...

Comment

I need schematic da0nj5mb8c0 rev:c
                    power led on but no display.
                    Last edited by aanan; 09-03-2016, 05:36 AM.

Comment

Anyone please

Comment

original bios n55sl
                        Attached Files

Comment

thanks

Comment

Working...