This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: List of Bad Cap Manufacturers

Do you know CHANG brand? They are present in many dvd players and dvb-t decoders.

Comment

I've seen bad Samyoung NXB (and possibly Samyoung NXA) - add them to the bad caps list?
      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

Originally posted by kItE80 View Post
        Do you know CHANG brand? They are present in many dvd players and dvb-t decoders.
        My malfunctioning dvb-t decoder is full of them. Guess what I just had to change?
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by JingYing View Post
          My malfunctioning dvb-t decoder is full of them. Guess what I just had to change?
          I have already recapped three dvb-t decoders with chang capacitors.
          Ciao

Comment

They're owned by Huawei China : http://www.huaweiec.cn/index_en.asp

Note that there's lots of fakes ChangX Cheng etc.. these are probably "genuine" chang but with lousy wall wart adapters or power supplies and heat they're going to die no matter what.
            Last edited by mariushm; 03-25-2014, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Yes, are their.

Comment

Originally posted by Heihachi_73 View Post
                My Hisense LCD TV (HSL5529HDI) died on me yesterday. Turned out that there were at least three bulging Samxon GD caps on the PSU and another bulging one on the main board. Date codes for the TV: PSU 0833; mainboard 0838; rear panel plastic Oct 2008.

During the last successful power up of this TV, the backlight slowly faded on from right to left before hitting full power; the second power up attempt didn't have any fault (this was only done about a minute later so the caps were still fully charged); during the third power up (after leaving it unplugged and switched on for a while, discharging the caps) only the blue LED came on and that's where I gave up and took it apart. Eleven screws later, I managed to remove about an inch of the rear panel; turns out that there are nearly a dozen clips holding the two plastic halves together. Additionally, the LCD panel itself may now be cracked after trying to hunt around for said clips. Can't make it just fall off after taking out a dozen or so screws, can they? The only thing they didn't do was glue it shut like a wall wart...

In fact, I will now put up a few post-mortem photos in a new topic.
                G'Day mate, I had the same fun and games trying to get a Kogan open! Made to never be repaired quite obviously!

Comment

Maybe they are shameful of what's inside...

Comment

I'm typing this from the same PC with the same TV hooked up, it hasn't failed yet with its "new" caps.

Luckily for the TV, the only thing which cracked was one of the clips, which it obviously didn't need. This one could have been landfill years ago, as the aerial socket broke off early in its life (but of course, after the warranty expired), but I'd rather not continually waste money on throwaway TVs, especially when Australia (or at least Melbourne free-to-air and Foxtel combined) can't put anything decent on TV to start with!

Comment

YEC have EOL'd (End-of-life) one of their supercap lines, the "PC" flat pack. Recommended replacement "in development."

http://www.yec.com.tw/News/News-1/
                      Thanks for your great support over the past couple years on our PC series super capacitor. However, base on our internal decision, Yeong Long Technologies hereby would like to notify you End of Life for all PC series product. Relevant information is stating below.

Part Number FPC2R5405、FPC2R5605
                      Part Description PC series:4F 2.5V、6F 2.5V
                      Reason for EOL Internal decision
                      Recommended Replacement Under development
                      Last Buy Order Date 2014 / 03 / 31
                      Last Delivery Date 2014 / 12 / 31
                      Though this is a flat-type capacitor (similar in format to those found in some military and avionics equipment), it is interesting.

Comment

Hello i´am Thomas PSU editor at hartware.net

can you help me classify these Elite capacitors

http://abload.de/img/cs450m220tkbf.jpg

Thanks

Comment

Possibly EJ series. They're probably just standard Low ESR caps

Comment

Capacitors that I have had bad luck with;
                            Capxon Km
                            Fuhjyyu TMR TM
                            Samxon GF
                            Chenxing
                            Asia X
                            GL
                            BH
                            JEE
                            GSC
                            Evercon
                            Sacon
                            Seacon
                            Fujitsu Polly mer
                            Koshin
                            Taifu
                            Pce Tur
                            YC
                            Samwha WB WD XC
                            HEC
                            Gluxon
                            Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

You've had trouble with Fujistsu Polymers? And I'm surprised to not see Teapo or JunFu in your list

Comment

P4, one thing I've noticed here on BC is that some people don't distinguish between "bad caps" that clearly failed long before they should have (i.e. bad quality) and "bad caps" that failed after long service (i.e. bad in the sense that they had to be replaced).

As a crude rule-of-thumb, I would regard a low impedance lytic that fails in under 5 years' service to have been misapplied (used beyond or too close to its ratings), abused (e.g. the proverbial obstructed computer cooling vents), secondary damage from another failure, or bad quality. IMO, if a low impedance lytic fails after 5 or 6 years, it's probably secondary damage from another failure or a wear-out failure.
                                PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteS in CA View Post
                                  P4, one thing I've noticed here on BC is that some people don't distinguish between "bad caps" that clearly failed long before they should have (i.e. bad quality) and "bad caps" that failed after long service (i.e. bad in the sense that they had to be replaced).

As a crude rule-of-thumb, I would regard a low impedance lytic that fails in under 5 years' service to have been misapplied (used beyond or too close to its ratings), abused (e.g. the proverbial obstructed computer cooling vents), secondary damage from another failure, or bad quality. IMO, if a low impedance lytic fails after 5 or 6 years, it's probably secondary damage from another failure or a wear-out failure.
                                  Ahh. I like your rule of thumb. And yes, even a nice Fujitsu polymer can die in 5 or 6 years given enough heat or very high ripple (from failed caps in PSU)

Comment

I know Be'ren-jer (sic) products use crap Chinese caps in their power supplies.
                                    I forget the cap maker, but there was an 'O' or 2 in the name.
                                    Replace 'em all with some good 'uns like Panasonic or United Chemi-com (UCC) & those beast will actually work for a good while!... until some other cheep part bites the wazoo.

Comment

Possibly Ost (the German word for "East", IIRC ... ironically)?
                                      PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                      To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

Nope... I thinks it was a "Sino" brand (China).
                                        Probably Lelon, though I guess that's technically Taiwanese. (R.O.C.)

BION (Bleeve it er Not), there are folks out there offering update kits for the fancier Behrenjer (sic) products, where they supply you with better OpAmps (to replace "economy" TL074s, for example) and higher-Q, Lo-ESR electrolytics.
                                        They claim (& I don't doubt it) the part kits- once installed- improve the overall 'sound' of the product *immensely*. See, for example:
                                        http://openplanrecording.wordpress.c...-ultimate-mod/

Comment

rich, Elna has good stuff for audio products, but it has been several decades since they've been much of a player in the low impedance electrolytic capacitor marketplace. I first started working with a switching power supply company in 1980, so I speaking from firsthand knowledge.
                                          PeteS in CA

Comment

Working...
                                          X