LED lamps a bit lit when switched off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LED lamps a bit lit when switched off

We replaced the old halogen lamps with LED ones supplied with line voltage (230V), older ones had a 230 to 12V transformer, and when they are switched off they are still lit although very dim, also I have replaced a incandescent bulb with a CFL in my room and when switched off it blinks a bit each second during an hour then stops, this happens in all the rooms they are installed with different switches, anyone knows why? I don't understand how current can flow with the switches off.

Many thanks

Re: LED lamps a bit lit when switched off

CFLs do the flashing thing due to the capacitor inside.
    As for your led light replacements all I can think of is induced current in the wires.
    My pc
    CPU : AMD PHENOM II x4 @ 3.5Ghz
    MB : ASUS M4A89TD PRO USB3
    RAM : Kingston ValueRAM 16gb DDR3
    PSU : Cooler Master 850W Silent Pro
    GPU : ATI Radeon HD 6850

Comment

You should check the electrical wiring.
      Your switch is interrupting neutral, not live as it should be.

Comment

photoswitches,x10,other remote switches do this since they draw a bit of power through the load.

Comment

Many thanks , then I'll make sure the switch cuts the live!

Comment

Does your switch has a little pilot light that is on when the lamp is off?. If yes, that's the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Derek23 View Post
              Many thanks , then I'll make sure the switch cuts the live!
              It doesn't matters.

Does your switch has a little pilot light that is on when the lamp is off?. If yes, that's the problem.
              Yes! Even small current thru LED is enough to charge CFL's cap.
              Probable the same problem with LED lamps.
              The switch must be real mechanical naked switch: without pilot LEDs or something

Comment

Originally posted by fabrizziop View Post

No, it's a normal switch (well those who you can control the lamps with 2 switches I don't remember the name currently).
                Originally posted by Gordon01 View Post
                It doesn't matters.
                Then does this have a fix? It's annoying and maybe bad for the lamps

Comment

Derek - the switches are called 3-way (for having 3 current-carrying terminals). These switches can be a problem due to being able to bleed voltage. I've run into similar situations you're describing caused by the bleed. I use a non-contact voltage tester regularly in my line of work as an electrician. The problem is the tester is sensitive enough to pick up as low as 40 volts. The bleed level normally seen on a 3-way switch setup is around 50 volts.

With that said, carefully take a voltage reading with the switches 'off' and I'm willing to bet you're having issues with bleed or induced voltage.
                  Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

Many thanks Delaware

You're correct, there is ~35V in my case, and it fluctuates a bit!

Comment

Working...
                    X