Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bulging GSC 1500uf Caps

Hi,

I have a Jetway 650DF that won't post, and on closer inspection some of the caps look in pretty horrible shape.

There is leakage on most of the GSC 1500uf 6.3V (part numbers T20C and some T20D). They are approx 10x15mm.

I was wondering what type of capacitor would be best to replace them?

I found these on ebay and was wondering if they would do the trick:

1) Panasonic FF 1500uf 6.3V
    2) Rubycon YXG 1500uf 6.3V
    3) Samxon GC 1500uf 6.3V

Also it'll be my first time replacing caps so if there's anything else i'm missing let me know. Thanks
    Last edited by sandrogalli; 05-08-2010, 09:48 AM.

Re: Bulging GSC 1500uf Caps

Does anyone know anything about the GSC T20C's? Whethere they are Low ESR for example, I wouldn't want to replace Low ESR caps with ones that weren't...

Comment

Most motherboard capacitors will be low ESR. Are these 1500uF capacitors all in a row near the cpu? If so, they need to be replaced with "ultra low" ESR caps. That looks like a Pentium 4 motherboard, so for possible replacements:

https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=40
      https://www.badcaps.net/store/produc...products_id=65

Either of those will work as replacements, assuming the 10mm diameter you stated is correct. Rubycon is generally regarded as one of the most reliable brands out there. Samxon is a bit less expensive, also reliable. Both will outperform the GSC in there, which is one of the least reliable brands.

Are there other GSC capacitors on the board? Best to replace them all, as it's only a matter of time before they go too. GSC is *that* bad.

They are sold by the site's owner, so you don't have to worry about getting counterfeits on eBay. I've had mixed luck with eBay...I've gotten some great deals on genuine stuff, but I've also been duped. If you're new to recapping, and don't know how to spot fakes, it's better to stick to trusted sources.

Comment

thanks yy, exactly what i needed to know.

Comment

I wouldn't buy capacitors from eBay either. Even if they are genuine, they may be very old.

Best to buy from Badcaps.net or other good places like Digikey, Mouser, Farnell etc.
          Personally I buy mine from RS-Components\Allied Electronics

Low ESR is a must for motherboards but there are other factors too. It's best to try and look up the information on the old capacitors and then find replacements which match them as best you can (in specifications, not quality!)

This may not be possible with GSC specifically as their website appears to be gone.

Ripple current should meet or exceed the old capacitors, you can buy perfectly good new capacitors but if the circuit design is expecting capacitors which can tolerate higher ripple current than the ones you put in they will not live as long as they should.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
          X