Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Try!

Hi,
    I found myself with regular crashes ( several in one night over a 2 hour period ), I tried all the tweaks not realising it was a hardware issue not software, A helpful local engineer told me some caps had failed and advised I could repair, or upgrade, I began to read and found badcaps.

I found the two failed caps and ordered a full set of superior Panasonic replacements, just to say my solder technique is atrocious, but I took time and managed to get one cap secure but the other does have a little give
    ( generally NOT good).

Why post this, well my machine has posted first time and that was 2 weeks ago, and runs better now that it has for along long time, I bought the machine 2004. I conducted three Memtests, all proven passes. Id be interested to hear if the cap with a little give could still NOT be correctly connected to the board which may result in trouble at a later stage OR would it be fair ( or safe ) to say both replaced caps are integrating well with the board?

FYI , my 70W gas solder iron would not completely melt the solder and I was faced with catch22: scrap the board or use a 1mm drill bit to clean out the holes, I used the bit and got the above result BUT its your choice.

All the best ,

Berne

Re: 1st Try!

Congrats on getting it running! Now your issue depends on why the cap has a little 'give'. Is it because the solder joints aren't good, and the capacitor is loose? Or is it soldered in well and just the can of the capacitor is a mm or two above the board, so it can wobble a little? The second is just fine, there are numerous projects of mine where the caps aren't perfectly flush with the board, and everything runs fine. The first though might cause a problem. If the second cap isn't actually connected how it's supposed to be, that will put a lot more stress on the other caps, which will cause them to fail prematurely, and could cause more stability issues. A good, close range, in focus picture of the solder joints will help people here assist you in your diagnosis. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
    X