This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Hi, just signed up, electrical experience is rather wide ranging, started with vacuum tubes in school, built a couple of my own systems for the house. I'm an industrial electrical tech. Hoping to find some information on repairing flat screen monitor power supplies. This site came highly recommended.

Comment

Hi,

Jeremy from France there.
      Not new in troubleshooting, but never really troubleshoot anything in electronic.
      I am used to service windturbine (my job), and motorbikes my hobby.

Hope I could be helped, and help back!

Regards,
      JV

Comment

Hi My name is Buddy I like to learn how to fix things myself. I don't know a better place to start learning than here. Thank you for letting me be a member of this great forum.

Comment

Hello all, my name is Jimmy. I went to a radio/TV repair school after I graduated from High School. I ran my own TV shop for about ten years. I also repaired TV's for a fellow that had a full time job at General Telephone, now Verizon. I worked at the phone compay for 4 years then quit and got a better job working for Southwestern Bell, now AT&T as a communication tech. I worked for Bell for 28 years in Dallas then retired in the late 90's.

Although I worked at the phone company I continued the TV repair part time till the mid 80's. It was about that time that Sony and Panasonic came out with their first $40K+ investment, 20" flat panel solid-state led prototype TV's. I now have flat panel TV's in most rooms of my house which 3 are sonys, a 32 and two are 42's, 2 smaller 20" sanyo's and one fantastic 55" Panasonic VT30 in the living room. I use two DVR receivers and feed them using long hdmi cables and two dist amps from monoprice and mediabridge.

Back to me. I had my TV shop in Garland, Texas which is just outside of Dallas. I closed it due to economics at the time in the late 60's.

After retiring from AT&T in '99 we moved to Alamogordo, New Mexico where the sun shines most everyday. It's near white sands memorial park which most have heard of.

I haven't seen any UFO's yet, but who knows.

Comment

Hi all, I'm Aaron from Fort Walton Beach, Florida.

I used to work as a car mechanic while I went to school for Electrical Engineering in New Orleans and then Hurricane Katrina sent me here to FWB. Now I work for Ricoh Corporation fixing copiers and printers, been doing it for almost 10 years now.

My side job is, you guessed it, fixing computers and TV's.

Comment

Hello my Name is Rich and I have had some fun lately fixing plazma TV's. I thought this forum would be a good resources. I'll also admit I am stumped with a 50" LG plazma with a light fuzy picture. LOL.

Comment

Hi! I'm from the Philippines and I joined here because i would like to know how electronic hardware works as well as how to repair computers at board level.

Comment

Hi, im gene, from philippines, the pearl of the orient. I am currently working as a field application engineer but with previous experience in electronic design repair and troubleshooting. Hope i will be welcome here...and be a good help for the community...

Comment

In trying to restore two older computers, my computer guy told me MOBO is bad and need a new one because of bad caps. So in my research I found this site. Since I like to dabble in electronics and soldering, I figured I'd try to revive it with a cap transplant. Worse case scenario I waist some money and throw away perfectly good caps, best case scenario I revive my mobo and become better at soldering.

Comment

hello people

Comment

Hello my name is Matt Anderson. I am a 26 year old Bowling Green State University graduate with a Bachelors Degree in Criminal Justice. I live in the rolling hills of Amish Country in the middle of Ohio.

Comment

Originally posted by willawake View Post
                          welcome feel free to ask any question or just have fun...
                          Hey, I'm Sean in Jacksonville Florida. I have a plasma TV that stopped working. I found the thermister rt1s on the PSU fried. Do you know the specs for this component? The PSU is the BN96-00249a. I cant find the parts list for this board anywhere... the thermistor has sck 206 on it.

Thanks,
                          Sean

Comment

Hey guys,

I'm a physician by training, but tinkerer at heart. Came here because of Tom's great tutorial on troubleshooting plasma TVs and looking around I think I can safely say I plan to stick around.

S

Comment

Guys, I am a new member who is not a teckie. I wish i understood more of what most of you do or are good at, but i probably know enough to be dangerous!
                              I am here becasue I am loking for help with a Samsung Monitor that blipped. I went through the July 2011 posts about the same problem i had with my 245bw monitor and i went inside and tested the capicitors shown, but they are reading the normal prescribed ohmage. now i would like to know more about fixing this thing. hard to throw this thing away when it may only be a small problem.
                              HycoJoe

Comment

G'day

This is a late post as I joined back in January, looking for info on repairing an old IBM monitor. As expected, it turned out to be a failed capacitor and this site was a great help locating the suspect.

I've been pulling computers apart since 1989 (I have always pulled my toys apart since I was a kid. Originally to see what makes them work and then as I got older, to see if I could fix them myself).

No doubt I will post in other threads when I next need some info or I see an enquiry that I can assist with.

Cheers for now.

nulla

Comment

Hello! Well I have recently acquired 2 broken TV's and hope to fix them (I can solder a little and that's about it). Maybe with the help of this group I can get at least one of them operational.

Comment

Bob speaking with his fingers.
                                    Short day.
                                    To find a short or multiple shorts.
                                    Say the 3.3v supply has 4 ohms.
                                    attach your ohm meter to the 3.3 volt line.
                                    And using chilling spray or a heat gun.
                                    The component that causes a change in the ohm is or are most likely at fault.

Comment

Hi i'm new here. I'm a 22yo prospective electronics junkie. I love to learn about anything. Love electronics because it's knowledge that you can use just about anywhere and any time.

Comment

Hello my name is Tim, I followed a link here off of google as I was looking for some info on repairing a flat panel. I liked what I saw so I registered so I could participate.

Comment

I am a new member looking for technical help on electronic repairs. I am a network "engineer" (past ccie) by day.

Comment

Working...
                                          X