X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Members - please post your introductions here

Yo,

New member here. Since some here have admitted to being ancient I guess I must also confess. I go waaay back to even before Atari and C64. In fact I wrote one of the first 32 bit OSs way back when you used toggles on the computer front panel to enter the code to load a punched tape bootstrap loader to launch the OS. Anyone remember that? How about an Algol course at UC Berkeley?

I grew up in the Bay Area (Santa Clara) where myself and all my buds could repair those old tube TV's & Radios and were even building small Cyclotrons and the like. Anyway I ended up in Physics and then Financial Systems Software Development working in most languages and databases (mostly Oracle). Now I'm 'retired' and dabble in landscaping which I find healthier than beating my head on the Microsoft wall. But who knows maybe someday I'll write some landscaping software.

Anyway I found this forum while trying to fix my Samsung 245BW and was astounded at the wealth of information and how helpful the participants are. I dropped this project for now but hope to get back to it soon. Thanks all for the fabulous info!

Comment

Hi,

my name is Jerry and I am geeky.

I too am an old guy who tinkered with a c64. Now I repair computers at my own little shop for a living.

I have hit this forum many times to get info on bad caps. It seems that the cap issue is getting worse and worse every day. Have come across bad caps in mobos, psu's and lcd screens and saved many things from the landfill by replacing the caps.

So here I am, lurking in the shadows.

-- othercompguy

Comment

Hey all.

I'm an EE student at the University of South Florida in Tampa, total NOOB when it comes to solid state repair, and trying to find solutions to my GF's Gateway MX6960 power problem. I know this isn't the advice thread, so sorry for the lame intro, and thanks in advance for any knowledge gleaned. Y'all sound like you know your stuff!

Comment

ok,

not sure where to start as a newbie member but thanks for the invite to post as a new member here.
          I have found browsing this forum to be very helpful.
          I work in technology but not normally hardware so have found the assistance in diagnosing and repairing some of my viewsonic monitors to be particularly helpful.

cheers

G

Comment

My name is Joey. Im new here. Signed up to find out about fixing my grandparents Vizio but a couple of our other lcd's are going as well. Currently completeing my senior year of civil engineering.

Comment

Hello All,

My name is Buckie. I found this site while looking for possible fixes for a LG tv that is bad. I am a electrician by trade but like to tinker with things.

Comment

Hi people, Cool forum lots of good info, its appreciated thanks.Sorry for being short been at work for 14 days straight 4 more to go.

Comment

Hello!

Thanks, I found this site. It will surely help me a lot. Another stage of learning again. This is great, surely it may actually challenge me.

Comment

Hi!
                    I'm Jeff from Malaysia. Just joined this forum for information and advice. I'm into electronics just for the hobby after putting it aside for a very long time. I have just some basic knowledge of E & E.
                    Thanks.

Comment

Hello to everyone. I'm a big fan of forums, computer hardware/overclocking forums in particular. I used to be an avid overclocker but have slowed down a lot in the last couple of years; I do still have all my LN2 equipment, just in case I get the bug again. I build phase change cooling systems for computers, including cascade systems.

I found this place while looking for info on repairing a Vizio LCD tv. I love to tinker with anything electronic, even though I have no formal training. I hope to learn a lot here, and maybe I can even help someone else on the computer side of things.

BTW: I'm in my "mid" 50's, semi-retired, and live way out in the country in north central Missouri.

Comment

I'm the new guy. Actually, the old, new guy. I too have "tinkered' all my life. Much to the dismay of my parents (in years past) wife and children to present. Although, my younger daughter, shortly after she was married, commented to her husband "I don't understand, my dad never had to call anyone to fix stuff".

Anyway, that's me. Love messing with computers. Thankfully for me, my older daughter married a systems / network engineer, who is a genius with anything computing. He also keeps me in trouble, getting me involved in online gaming that keeps me in here instead of the Den with my wife. Ha.

I'm over 60 and live on the Gulf Coast.

Great to be here and hope to get to know you all.

k
                        Last edited by Kentana; 03-02-2011, 06:49 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

Dmac aboard.

Comment

Hi there from Roboflyer.

I'm a new member, pretty much a new guy to electronics, retired, and live on a mountain in Western Canada.

Found the Badcaps site whilst researching apparently completely dead HP VS17x monitor. (Two oozing 1000uF 10v caps look to be the culprits - am about to order replacements.)

Have already found this forum very helpful for my immediate needs - but there's also so much more, wider, info here! I think I'll enjoy browsing, getting to know you folks, and hopefully be a useful contributor as well.

Comment

Hello All, I hope this post lets Mr.C introduce himself.. I am old school electronics hobbyist from the 50's when I built my own galena crystal radio receiver. I watched the transition from tubes to transistors, analog to digital (Altair, you programmed 8 bits by flipping toggle switches), hand wired to microcircuits. We've come a long way, can't wait to see the next transition. I found this forum searching for information on a Dell flat panel repair.
                              You have me hooked with the quality of the answers, hope I can add to that pool...
                              Best Regards,
                              Mr.C

Comment

Hello, My name is Jim. I have been working in the electronics field as a field service tech for over 20 yrs. Mostly interested in LCD, Plasma & Led TV repairs now. Hope to help others and have others help me.

Thanks, Jim
                                jasbodr

Comment

Welcome to all our recent new members
                                  Ludicrous gibs!

Comment

Hello All! Got a newbie dropping in to say Hello, my names Mark and I live at the beach in South Carolina . I'm not much of a poster as I am a surfer, I am a high tech redneck who likes electronics, gadgets, and computers and likes to fix things myself, if I can. If while searching for answers I find a post that I feel I can provide helpful information or have an opinion, then I'll put up a post. Ya'll have a nice day.

Comment

Well I have been in electronics and computers for a long time (Altair and COBOL anyone?) Built a lot of toys and have done multi-layer board repair.
                                      Found this place when I wanted to see if there were others out there plagued by bad caps and what they were doing with them. Also seeing where and who might have kits that I can scarf up instead of always raiding my own stocks...

Comment

Hi! I am Brad Houser from San Jose.

Old Dell E171FP is down and I hope to fix it.

Comment

ok, i have a 32" westinghouse, when you plug the power cord in, and press the power button, the blue led turns on, and just stays on untail you pull the power cord out, i took the tv apart and there is no bad caps that i can really tell, does an one have any kind of idea where i should start. i have also checked the fuse with a metter and it tested good. the model number is LTV-32W6HD.

Comment

Working...
                                          X