Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acer AL2416W Works, then fades to white then black...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Acer AL2416W Works, then fades to white then black...

Hello!

My problem is hard to describe in words, so I've uploaded a video to youtube - it can be seen here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoNEWJqJ1Ig

After being off for a few hours, this monitor will work for 20-30 minutes; It then does what you can see on the youtube video but using a "still" version of the picture that was on screen; within about 30 seconds the screen is completely black, and that is how it will act for quite some time if you turn it back on.

I've never got it back working "same day" - it was always a day or so later.

So far, I've opened the unit and simply had a look around for bulging caps, loose connections, etc, and seen nothing.

I do not like to throw things away needlessly, so am willing to spend time trying to fix this monitor (I have three more of the exact same model!).

Many thanks in advance for any assistance or pointers!

Regards
    Steve

Re: Acer AL2416W Works, then fades to white then black...

That's usually what happens if the panel itself loses its supply voltage.
    Could be a PSU fault or a problem on the T-CON board.

Certainly odd. First guess would be loose connection between the controller board and the panel, but that would almost be too easy..

Comment

That looks nothing short of freaky! looks like that film 'The Hole'.

Do you have some equipment to do some tests? and a decent camera to take some pics of the boards inside?

It even looks like there is a little face on the top left and side!
      Fixed so far : 1 Home cinema system, 16 LCD Monitors, 4 LCD TV's

How to resize your pictures guide click HERE
      Retiredcaps Ideal post example click HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Jasgriff View Post
        That looks nothing short of freaky! looks like that film 'The Hole'.

Do you have some equipment to do some tests? and a decent camera to take some pics of the boards inside?

It even looks like there is a little face on the top left and side!
        The little face is my bookcase - but yeah, it looks odd! :-)

I have equipment; specifically soldering iron, multimeter (digi), etc. Not afraid of trying to repair; Have recently repaired our plasma TV (several resistors needed replacing).

I hope the attached pictures are of good enough quality to be useful.

Steve
        Attached Files

Comment

As scenic mentions in his post you could try taking the ribbon out of the logic board on picture number 3 make sure its all clean and re connect it making sure its sitting tight.

Be very very careful with it as any damage might make the try unrepairable if it is connected to the LCD.

Comment

Hi
            Removing the ribbon cable was my first point of call; It did not look like a dodgy connection, and reseating it has changed nothing.

For me, the puzzling part is the fact that this monitor DOES still work - but only for 20-30 minutes per day (I say day because when it goes, i leave it until the next day - it could be 4 hours for all I know).

Its always a little disheartening to not find that a thousand other people have had the same problem; Still, that wont deter me from trying to fix this, even if it isnt quick!

Cheers
            Steve

Comment

So when you plugged it back in just now it went straight to being weird?

Something that I noticed in the video is that for the very short time you see the acer sign its fainter than I would imagine it should be? is it fainter than the other monitors when it powers on?

Comment

There has already been an 11 page thread on this model....

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9626

You did say that you don't mind it not being a quick fix ha.

There might be something useful there.

Comment

Well, I can confirm that the monitor now "works" after 3-4 hours of being left off - It wont last long though.

There is a noticeable difference in brightness between the two screens, both during the startup with the "Acer" logo (which appears to brighten in four stages on both) and with the desktop itself. That said, the now "faulty" monitor has always been a bit darker than my "main" screen.

I shall read the other thread on this model now....

Steve

Comment

Right - I've read the other thread; I can see no relation to my problem, but thanks for pointing it out anyway....

The monitor *just* went faulty again - so it was running about 35 mins....

Thinking out aloud, I'm wondering if the time = time to build up heat, and whether it might be a dry joint?? Does this sound feasible? If so, what's the best way to find them, and which board would be the most likely candidate.

Thanks

Steve

Comment

Could be heat related.

You could test to see if in this state there is enough power getting to the logic board. You could compare these results with measurements taken when the monitor is functioning correctly to see if there is any difference.

There are also a couple of voltage regulators on the logic board that you could check to see if it has the right power getting to it.

Comment

It would be great if, referring to my pictures, someone could point out what certain components are, for example the location of the voltage regulators.

Thanks

Comment

When you get the monitor up and running again, try heating up each board with a blow dryer to recreate the problem. Hopefully, using this method will allow you to narrow down which board is causing the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky-Steve View Post
                            It would be great if, referring to my pictures, someone could point out what certain components are, for example the location of the voltage regulators.
                            Measure the DC voltage of each pin (ignore the fat tab) with respect to ground. Report the part number on the chip and all the voltages for each chip.
                            Attached Files
                            --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

I have a Dell that does that...I took a fan and blew it into the vent slots on the back and it stopped...Still havn't figured out where the problem is...

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
                                Measure the DC voltage of each pin (ignore the fat tab) with respect to ground. Report the part number on the chip and all the voltages for each chip.
                                Many thanks for this pointer - I wont have any time to check this for a couple of days, but I'll report back...

Cheers for now
                                Steve

Comment

Ok - measured the voltages when working (cold) and at fault (?hot)

They were the same within a few milivolts

Attached picture best describes the voltages seen.

Also, have noticed that if, when at fault, I press Ctrl-Alt-Del, the screen will reset for a millisecond, the mouse will appear, and then the white mist decends again, as per the original video.

Thanks for all the assistance thus far.

Steve
                                  Attached Files

Comment

I have an idea... blow a fan in the vent and see if it lasts longer.
                                    Or, the opposite, as suggested, blow heat into it and see if it does that quicker. (hairdryer possible) but be careful not to apply too much so it doesn't get damaged more)

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky-Steve View Post
                                      Ok - measured the voltages when working (cold) and at fault (?hot)
                                      The middle leg that is "cut" is the one we are interested in. Also, you can just post the result in text format.
                                      --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Hi...

OK - I did measure the "cut one", but was wrong to assume it was not needed in my reply.

Anyway, the "cut" leg is 3.29v (on the component marked U17)

In regards to the text, the top right (U17 / with the cut middle leg):

APL1084
                                        WJ1DM

And the bottom one (U18):

APL1117
                                        PJ21M18

With regards to blowing hot/cold, I am running it without the covers right now.

Thanks
                                        Steve

Comment

Working...
                                        X