Newegg Ships Counterfeit Intel Core i7 920 CPUs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Newegg Ships Counterfeit Intel Core i7 920 CPUs

Releasing your own instruction set this late in the game is a few million dollars on the side of uncomfortable. Intel could use that moment to very easily rub them off the map completely.
    Find Nedry!

Check the Vending machines!!

<----Computer says I need more beer.

Comment

Didn't Intel already try to lock out AMD with 64 bit? Meaning, Itanium? Seems to me AMD made an x86 compatible 64-bit processor, and people adopted that instead. The Itanium is still around, but it's nowhere near what Intel had originally intended it to be.

I'm sure AMD will come out with some SSE-4 like instructions that will work just fine.
      A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still.

Comment

actually, amd could keep the x86 instructionset and use the gpu & some extra microcode to handle opcodes that take a lot of cycles.

that would make the cpu seem much faster without any software changes.

as for being a bit late for an instructionset change, what about nvidia's CUDA stuff?

Comment

What is to stop AMD from making its own instruction set which is better than SSE4? If there are real gains, people will support it. Who is to say Intel won't license it.

Not only is the core processor more expensive, but so are the motherboards.
          AMD did release a rival to SSE4.X. It's called SSE4a and has a laughable set of instructions compared to Intel.

Didn't Intel already try to lock out AMD with 64 bit? Meaning, Itanium?
          No, Itanium and Itanium2 were not meant for desktop at all. And Itanium was not Intel's brainchild, I'm pretty sure it was a joint effort by DEC and HP as well as Intel Engineers. And Itanium was in the works when AMD was still selling "586" cpus.

No, AMD will not use SSE4.X in a million years. Intel has refused to license it to them.

as for being a bit late for an instructionset change, what about nvidia's CUDA stuff?
          GPUs don't work the same way as CPUs. The API to GPU communication is done through the software (drivers).

CPUs that want to run Windows have to support either x86 or x86-64 (Linux has support for more platforms).
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

your missing the point, if the gpu & cpu share a common bus then the gpu can grap & pre-process some of the x86 instructions - the software wont know the difference.

Comment

Originally posted by stj
              your missing the point, if the gpu & cpu share a common bus then the gpu can grap & pre-process some of the x86 instructions - the software wont know the difference.
              Are you high on something?
              "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

Comment

Didn't intel just lose a lawsuit from AMD. They have a patent sharing agreement, don't know if this would fall under it. I don't know if they can just refuse.

THe cuda technology uses the GPU to process certain things. Why can't amd come out with their own tech.

The phenom II compares ok to the I7 in games and many things anyway.

Comment

amd has, its called teh AMD Stream SDK

most things dont even run SSE4, they barely run SSE3;

they'll be up to SSE5 and no one will care. its just an instruction set.

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird
                    Are you high on something?
                    i think you are.

but seriously, the benefits of amd fusion are the same as most system-on-a-chip benefits - lower heat, lower power tdp, less motherboard components, effective usage of a fab, and for amd, they get to lock customers in so they have to buy a whole new combo everytime they want to upgrade.

in the end, though, it will still be cheaper than intel. also, higher quality. i trust the fab in germany; can't say the same about china or costa rica.

Comment

no, i'm not high,
                      but i do work with systems that have intercepted cpu's where a pld grab's certain opcodes & modifies them in realtime.
                      such systems have been around for over 30 years.

they are used to scramble the code so hackers & pir8's cant dissasemble & modify the software.

Comment

here is a foto of an encoded 68000 cpu,
                        it contains a 68000 cpu, a decryption-core, and some glue-logic.
                        it is a dropin replacement for the standard chip - and it came out in the 80's!!!!!

intercepting command streams and messing with them in realtime is not fantasy - it's just a nightmare if your repairing stuff using them!

Comment

Ah, so that's why when I run FBA games it says "Decrypting 68000". My guess is that's the processor they used on CPS2 arcade consoles.

Comment

cps2 is similar, that foto actually is from a sega board.

Comment

Working...
                            X