New, badly faked Rubycon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New, badly faked Rubycon...

Just found this in a 12V 1.5A DVE brand PSU, because something was loose inside the case and making noise...

Aside from the usual crap sonstruction (X-cap,MOV and heatsink left out, smaller diode instead of TO220 cased one), the output cap looked quite good, for abpout a second:

Wait, Rubycon with this vent style? Wait, its got 2 layers of heatshrink?
    So i unsoldered it:

shrinked it a bit too hot?

Second PSU, same story, except for the final:

Both of the inner caps are labeled ELNA and look quite a bit like it, from the vent and the rubber plug.
    But the elna catalog doesnt show a RJX nor a RJG series...
    So these probably are fake too...
    Attached Files

Re: New, badly faked Rubycon...

Those are Elna style vents. (Sorry I'm an idiot because I now see that you mentioned this & I can't figure out how to delete my post.)
    Last edited by relkin67; 02-10-2010, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Also I see another cap behind the blue inductor coil that possibly be fake Samxon?

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

definitely fakes.
        <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
        Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
        http://folding.stanford.edu/
        Team : 49813
        Join in!!
        Team Stats

Comment

WTF!!!
          a lot of work to fake some caps.btw i have seen koshin's with the elna style vent.post some pics of the bung too.

Comment

Okay pull the Samxon cap (that one behind the blue coil) out and hold on it till after feb and contact Pope cap (Joe), he will NEED that so he can send it to his Samxon maker.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Koshin usually have that type of vent
              I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Wow, so, not only did they fake the manufacturer (twice), but they sold a 680uF @ 10v cap as a 1000uF @ 16v cap! Yikes! I wouldn't want anything like that in my equipment...

Comment

That's what I call a case of "resleeving", which is removing the sleeve of a genuine (or fake) product and placing a new sleeve of a higher grade unit on the capacitor.
                  My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

The other cap is a G-LUXON 470u/16V.
                    Primary cap is 10/400V, JUN FU on one, SAMWHA on the other.
                    No fake here, i guess. What part would they fake a LUXON crap with?

Sorry for no measurements, our RLC bridge blew up and is being sent to Agilent for repair.

Comment

Whew. Really looked like it was.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

That's counterfeiters for you doing it half ass and not following through. If they removed the original sleeve and used a K vent it would be the perfect counterfeit.

Did they really think nobody would notice the caps didn't have Rubycon's K vents?

That vent style almost looks like the symbol for a lytic in schematics.

They probably had the process automated removing the old sleeves would be too problematic for machinery. Plus there's no way counterfeiters are going to invest money creating a machine to remove sleeves that probably doesn't exist.

They probably made a nice profit selling 680ufs where the manufacturer specified 1000uf in large quantities. They needed to modify the value so while they were at it they probably figured it might as well be a reputable brand.
                        Last edited by Krankshaft; 02-11-2010, 04:18 PM.
                        Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

The font on the name is pretty good but the 0's are a bit off. The dead giveaway is the vent and obvious double sleave. Any pics of the bung? lol that sounds bad.

Comment

ELNA RJG series could be real? and possibly equivalent to RJB series?
                            because I've found some publish data at elna-america web site

RJG Series - Durability (high temperature charge)
                            http://www.elna-america.com/c_g10.htm

RJG Series - High temperature and low temperature characteristics
                            http://www.elna-america.com/c_g11.htm

RJG Series - Frequency characteristic
                            http://www.elna-america.com/c_g12.htm
                            | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
                            | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
                            | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

Working...
                            X