300 Mbit Intel Wireless-N client set to 150 Mbit from factory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

300 Mbit Intel Wireless-N client set to 150 Mbit from factory

On a new Dell Studio 1555 with an Intel WiFi Link 5300 AGN, the maximum wireless connection speed on the 2.4 GHz band was 150 Mbit, even though both the client and access point supports 300 Mbit.
    I found that a setting under Device Manager > Intel WiFi Link 5300AGN > Advanced > 802.11n Channel Width for band 2.4 was set to "20 MHz Only" from the Dell factory. Changing this setting to "Auto" (as well as doing the same for 802.11n Channel Width for band 5.2) enabled 300 Mbit Wireless-N mode.

I don't know why Dell (and possibly others) would ship computers with Wireless-N clients with 802.11N Channel Width (or similar setting) set to 20MHz, instead of Auto or 20/40MHz etc.
    Regulations in Australia apparently support Wireless-N networks with a Wide Channel or 40MHz bandwidth etc.
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: 300 Mbit Intel Wireless-N client set to 150 Mbit from factory

i prefer cat5

most wireless is trouble - & miss-sold.

where i live, every fucking house has wifi - i doubt more than 5% own a laptop.
    the result is all channels are saturated & connections are flaky as fuck.

if the gear isnt portable, you shouldnt be iradiating yourself & everybody for about 500m with all that energy.

Comment

I second hard wiring all the way. Being in rented accomodation, Ethernet over Power is a godsend. It's not as fast as a proper 100mb LAN, but it always works.
      Wireless is fine for browsing the internet, if you want to use it for anything intensive, or a large group of wireless clients, it just won't work.

Comment

Factory drivers? Why don't you download the latest drivers, preferably from Intel.com if they offer them.

Comment

I third the hard wiring. I have a laptop and a wireless network here but when not using the laptop, which can be days in between uses, I just pull the power plug and leave everything else connected until i need it again. I have a VOIP service so i have it set up as cable modem --> VOIP box (acts like a router too) --> Switch --> then out to the wireless router and computers. this aslo separates my main network from the wireless a bit too.

One thing that does drive me crazy about my wireless is the lack of speed. It connects and says it is 54MB connected, full bars, but can only get up to half my actual connection speed to the internet. When i had 7 to 8 MB connection, i maxed at about 4 Mb through the wireless. Upgraded to 15MB down and now will download at about 7 to 8 MB through the wireless. Get full on wired, just not on wireless. do get my full 768k up though.

Comment

Working...
          X