Articles in computer and electronic magazines about bad capacitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Articles in computer and electronic magazines about bad capacitors

In PC User, November 2005 (Australian issue), there was an article about bad electrolytic capacitors on mainboards. Two of the brands pictured were Rifeking and Jackcon.

Also in Silicon Chip, May 2003, there was an article about bad capacitors on mainboards (one of them was a Chhsi in a photo)... the computer (Gateway) I had at this time did not have this issue at all.

Are there any other articles about bad capacitors in computer (and electronics) magazines?
    My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Re: Articles in computer and electronic magazines about bad capacitors

Great topic JAP, cuts to the bone.
    May take some research to dig up archival stuff.
    Jim

Comment

http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/20...0207018535.htm
      Not a magazine per say but dates back to Feb,03, has some interesting references.
      I'm sure this has been mentioned here before.
      Jim

Comment

Here is a link to the Silicon Chip article Japlytic mentioned.....
        http://siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30328/article.html

...and another online article at overclockers (sorry if it's already linked).
        http://www.overclockers.com/tips00140/

Comment

Link to John Dvorak article, didn't work.
          Last edited by arneson; 10-14-2005, 10:11 PM. Reason: bad link
          Jim

Comment

http://www.faradnet.com/company/paper.htm
            This one may work.
            Jim

Comment

Wiki article "Capacitor Plague"......again, sorry if it's already linked.
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague

Badcaps has a link at the bottom

Comment

Had some links to IEEE articles...still waiting for my free subscription after 5 years LOL...
                Ya'll think us folk from the country's real funny-like, dontcha?

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

Yesterday I got a call from someone who identified himself as a "reporter for Cnet" and asked some questions regarding the Intel mobo w/ bad caps that I posted. He said they would be running a story about it last night but I haven't see anything yet. Anyone else get a call?

Comment

I have received emails from:
                    Michael Singer
                    Senior Writer
                    CNET News.com
                    235 Second St. 6th Floor
                    San Francisco, CA 94103
                    (415) 344-2687

regarding the bad caps issue with DELL...

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of BADCAPS.NET or any of their affiliates.

Comment

APC Feb 2006 (Page 11): Dell is allocating $US300m for repairs to affected computers. (These forums were mentioned in the story)
                      My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

badcaps in Space
                        http://www.spaceref.com/news/viewnews.html?id=1037
                        http://www.spaceflightnow.com/news/n0503/15minotaur/
                        capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

The accuracy of the material alignment in manufacturing plays a role in whether the capacitor would fail after a certain number of thermal cycles. When the separation occurs, the electrical contacts in the capacitor no longer function properly, says Goldman.

That is quite an article Willawake, The above is in reference to the space shuttle engine control box caps.
                          Jim

Comment

I wonder if they use GSC or Fuhjyyu

Comment

guess they used rubycon on the blackbird

Attached Files
                              capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

Aww man, now I became so curious as to what brand it actually was ;-)

Great find Willawake!!!
                                "The one who says it cannot be done should never interrupt the one who is doing it."

Comment

Relatively few mfrs make space-qual electronic parts. You do exotic shake-and-bake tests, create mounds of paper, and sell a few thousand or a few tens of thousands of parts ... if they pass the tests. Not an attractive market for companies geared for high volume production.

My guesses as to vendors would be Cornell-Dubilier, whoever owns the Sprague mil-spec division, and/or whoever owns the Mallory mil-spec division.
                                  PeteS in CA

Power Supplies should be boring: No loud noises, no bright flashes, and no bad smells.
                                  To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.

Comment

...Scary...

Comment

I never cease to be amazed at the various places you will find crap caps.
                                      Thank freak that they found/replaced those ones in time - I just hope NASA/Airlines/Military sit up and take notice.
                                      The Airlines worry me with never-ending cost cutting.

Comment

Working...
                                      X