Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pro Video DVR-Q4/80 (self-contained 4 camera DVR)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pro Video DVR-Q4/80 (self-contained 4 camera DVR)

(Manufactured by Speco Technologies under the ProVideo name)

I just pulled one of these out of a customer's office, and opened it up to see why they stopped using it.

Surprise, surprise! Bad caps. Not only bad caps, but bad cap choice as well.

(Pictures if requested)

The main power supply itself has the following capacitors

TEAPO 47uF, 400v (x2) (2cm)
    TEAPO 1000uF, 25v (x3) (1cm)
    TEAPO 100uF, 50v (x1) (8mm)
    TEAPO 4.7uF, 50v (x1) (6mm)

That's it. Not much there, cap wise.

It then outputs 12v and 5v, to run two fans, a hard drive, and two motherboards.

The motherboards are a variety of K.K and GSC caps. (I've never seen a K.K cap before). The 1000uF caps, K.K and Teapo, are blown. Not only that, but the power board Teapos are... fried. One is the normal green and gold, the other two are now black and greyish/silver (the strip). I suspect that they started out green and gold, and just plain cooked.

Here's the bad cap choice part. I checked the rails on which the 1000uF TEAPO caps were living. 5.2 volts. That's it. The 400 volt caps are sitting on a 162 volt rail. Oh - and there are spots for 7 more capacitors on the board as well.

I think they must have just grabbed the 25 volt, and gone "Hey, if we use these, we can throw away the other two!" or something similar.

Anyone have a suggestion on what to replace them with? (Rubycon ZL 10v 1000uf? 1200uf?)

I figure that once I replace these, I'll have a working 4 channel DVR system that can be sold cheaply to another customer (or used myself) - that apparently still costs $1300 - or they just haven't changed the price in 10 years.
    Last edited by Bookworm; 01-08-2012, 08:58 PM. Reason: adding manufacturer name

Re: Pro Video DVR-Q4/80 (self-contained 4 camera DVR)

Originally posted by Bookworm View Post
    (Pictures if requested)
    Yes please, I'm curious to see what the inside looks like.
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Re: Pro Video DVR-Q4/80 (self-contained 4 camera DVR)

I haven't forgotten, I just got pictures last night, and haven't had time to upload as of yet. I also have to resize them a bit. 8 megapixel is a bit large to upload.

Comment

Working...
      X