Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gateway LP2407 / FPD2484 Replaced Power Caps and worked, 3 weeks later now it wont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gateway LP2407 / FPD2484 Replaced Power Caps and worked, 3 weeks later now it wont

Basically as title says, my monitor died out and after reading some info here, I determinded that it was the power board caps, replaced them and everything worked for about a 3 weeks, then one day it died while I was using it.

The power LED goes blue when turned on (detects signal from computer) but no image on screen. I've tried using a flash light in a dim room to see if there was a image and there was none.

I've checked the fuse at F1 and when the monitor is on it shows 25v. I've replaced the 2 capacitors on the inverter board since they looked in bad shape but that didn't seem to help. Also when I check those caps, their recieve no voltage at all when the monitor is plugged in. I've also checked the wire connections to the ccfls (theres 6 total) and they aren't getting any voltages either.

Could use some help

Re: Gateway LP2407 / FPD2484 Replaced Power Caps and worked, 3 weeks later now it won

Originally posted by Sny View Post
    Basically as title says, my monitor died out and after reading some info here, I determinded that it was the power board caps, replaced them and everything worked for about a 3 weeks, then one day it died while I was using it.

The power LED goes blue when turned on (detects signal from computer) but no image on screen. I've tried using a flash light in a dim room to see if there was a image and there was none.

I've checked the fuse at F1 and when the monitor is on it shows 25v. I've replaced the 2 capacitors on the inverter board since they looked in bad shape but that didn't seem to help. Also when I check those caps, their recieve no voltage at all when the monitor is plugged in. I've also checked the wire connections to the ccfls (theres 6 total) and they aren't getting any voltages either.

Could use some help
    Very simple questions
    Is F1 on the inverter?
    Do you see 25V on both sides of F1?
    It would be a good idea to post pictures of your power supply and inverter, using managed attachments
    Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Re: Gateway LP2407 / FPD2484 Replaced Power Caps and worked, 3 weeks later now it won

I'm new to messing around with a volt meter, how would I test both sides? I tested by touching one side with negative and 1 side with positive.

The F1 fuse is located on the inverter board, located right next to the wires that's coming from the power supply.

I forgot to mention that I also replaced some caps on the image board since they looked shot aswell. Should I be seeing voltage in all caps? Some was 3.3, 5 and a few 1.8 but there was 2 on the image board that showed 0 voltage, aswell as the 2 that was on the inverter board that I replaced, still shows 0.

I don't have a good quality camera, just a crappy iPod touch, I'll see if I can highjack some pics from another thread if that will help.

Comment

Well it sounds like there is something going to ground on one side of your fuse.
        I don't remember the exact model, But some are known for having shorted mosfets .
        My suggestion would be to borrow a camera, so we can see what you're working on or use the advanced search feature see if you can find your model being discussed.
        Whatever I do, I consider it a success, if in the end I am breathing, seeing, feeling and hearing!

Comment

Here's some pics
          Attached Files

Comment

There's a little Su'scon 47uF right in the middle of that photo, plus five unidentifiables that don't look like they've been replaced.

With the power off and the probes on either side of the fuse, a good fuse will test as very low resistance, less than 1 ohm. A meter in continuity mode will beep.

Comment

Originally posted by jsog View Post
              With the power off and the probes on either side of the fuse, a good fuse will test as very low resistance, less than 1 ohm. .
              I suspect you will find F1 open,If it is open what are the part numbers on Q1 through Q4?

Comment

@ jsog, the pictures linked are from another thread of the exact same monitor, not mines. I've replaced all the caps on the power supply including the 47uf with one from a repair kit.

I touched 1 end with the negative terminal and the other end with the positive, after the lcd has sat disconnected for a few hours, the result is no voltage showing up at all.

Unfortunately all I have is a rinky dink Cen-Tech 90899 that I borrowed from a friend, which looks really cheap.

Q1-4 is 9985GM, 635102
                Last edited by Sny; 06-23-2011, 06:52 PM.

Comment

You need to measure the resistance of the fuse, not the voltage across it. I think I have the same multimeter. With that meter, you might see a few ohms of resistance across the fuse due to the crappy test leads that come with it. If the fuse is blown, the meter will show a 1 on the left side of the screen, just like it does when it is first turned on.

Comment

Ok, I set it for resistance and when I probed the negative on 1 side and positive on other, it was fluctuating 1-5

Comment

Originally posted by Sny View Post
                      Ok, I set it for resistance and when I probed the negative on 1 side and positive on other, it was fluctuating 1-5
                      If you really want to get this monitor fixed you're going to need to borrow a camera.
                      We need good quality close up photos OF YOUR BOARDS, that are in focus. There a lot of people who would be willing to help you but, There is little chance anyone is going to be able to say replace this part and your monitor will work.
                      One thing you do need to do is determine a base line number for your ohmmeter, With you ohmmeter on its lowest scale touch the two leads together and let us know what reading you get.

Comment

Working...
                      X