Bad Caps on Galaxy 7950 agp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad Caps on Galaxy 7950 agp

I recently bought a Galaxy 7950 agp for my aging system, last week it just stoped working, after inspection I noticed a brown mark on the top of one of the caps. I've identified a bad cap and I want to replace it but i'm not 100% sure on what to buy,

The bad cap says FZ57 470 16V

Can anyone advise me on what I need to replace this with?

Also i had a small sd card reader, it had one tiny black cap on it and I broke the pins no I have no clue what the ratings are for that cap as there is no writing what so ever,
    Attached Files

Re: Bad Caps on Galaxy 7950 agp

They are Sacon FZ. Sacon are Evercon, which are GSC, which are VERY unreliable. Panasonic FM should be fine for replacments unless you want to poly-mod it
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Replace -ALL- the FZ caps. They're crap to begin with and don't get better.

Your cap is 470uF @ 16 volt.

A non-glare pic of all the caps will help us help you.

Toast
      veritas odium parit

Comment

whats poly-mod?

Comment

Falls under 2 categories -

Actively seeking and replacing "wet" or "aqueous" electrolytic capacitors with the solid polymer electrolytic capacitors whether or not they need replacing.

Replacing "wet" electrolytics once a failure of them has been discovered. Then determining whether to simply "upgrade" with a better grade electrolytic or to use a solid polymer cap and improve the functionality and stability of the circuit.

Solid polymers are better suited for:
          1) hotter environments such as video cards and the areas immediately surrounding the CPU that regulates and filters the power available called the VRM or Voltage Regulator Module
          2) circuits where stability and "clean(er)" power have a positive impact on functionality again such as video cards (GPU) and CPU and the memory power supplies
          3) all of the above when overclocking
          4) any circuit or area notorious for causing heat related failures in other electrolytics

Others will have more (better) reasons and perspectives.

Toast
          veritas odium parit

Comment

Good timing:
            https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=8343
            Mann-Made Global Warming.
            - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
            -
            You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
            -

Comment

Originally posted by spaldingg
              whats poly-mod?
              Modify using solid polymer caps in place of electrolytic caps.
              [Kinda grouping toasty's responses into one there.]

Now why I really posted:
              Some people have the idea that poly are always better insofar are ESR.
              That is NOT true.
              There are high and low end [low ESR] lytics and there are high and low end solid polymer.
              A low end poly could have worse ESR than a high end lytic so it's still important to look up both new and old caps in the data sheets to compare specs.
              Low end polymer are rather a new thing and people have ideas left over from before they existed and by that -assume- poly are always better.
              Four or five years ago solid polymer were too expensive to bother manufacturing them for the lower end markets but the costs are coming down now and they are expanding polymer product lines to cover those lower end markets too.
              Mann-Made Global Warming.
              - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
              Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
              -
              You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
              -

Comment

Sorry I didn't explain it in my other post. Replacing the caps with solid polymer caps was indeed what I meant. Sanyo SEPC or OS-Con are good polymers, but they are more expensive than Panasonic FM Electrolytics, so if you are willing to pay extra for ultra-reliable caps, use Sanyo SEPC/OS-CON but if you just want to keep the cost down, use Panny FM.
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Working...
                X