Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uniden Walkie/scanner - Bro please - just solder this wire it works oh BTW..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Uniden Walkie/scanner - Bro please - just solder this wire it works oh BTW..

Yeah this one is for the "What the H***" and should promptly be filed in the "worthless Repairs thread"
    Uniden walkie/scanner guy brings it in. Says hey Bro... (stop right there throw it in the trash bin) .. I dug this out of the trash and opened it up but I broke the battery wire off. Me- "do you know if it works?" Oh yeah it will work if you sorder that wire back on. Me- "Why did you open it?" OH i saw it was full of little baby roaches... W.T.F. I must look like the exterminator. I mean who would want that crap in their shop.? He's an old man and a long term customer and was as serious as a day is long so I have compassion and empathy... (really? WTF!!!) OK I grab one of my little plastic boxes (betty crocker great project boxes) and seal that POS up. I then told him it was more than just soldering on a wire for me to work on it I have to bath it in alcohol and then dry it. (I would beg for an ultrasound right now but mama said NO) I just went speechless... why? oh why did I not be more forceful and say "I can't help you with this one!"
    Oh well I will document this for your amusement and sadistic pleasure.
    I am now curious if it will work... i have to see it to believe it.
    Anyway I don't think I need technical advise on this yet but I'm sure some will have a few choice words when you see the freaken pictures. So as Dave Jones would say "Lets crack er open and see whats inside!"

Bear in mind he said he already cleaned it...
    Attached Files

Re: Uniden Walkie/scanner - Bro please - just solder this wire it works oh BTW..

I suggest not testing it. Who knows what diseases you would inhale!
    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Re: Uniden Walkie/scanner - Bro please - just solder this wire it works oh BTW..

what bands/frequency's does that pos cover?
      you could get a nice Baofeng UV82 for about $30 complete with lithium-ion battery & charger!

Comment

Originally posted by Doc38343 View Post
        Yeah this one is for the "What the H***" and should promptly be filed in the "worthless Repairs thread"
        That would probably win a gold medal there.

Can't tell if the crap on the PCB is roach poo or some kind of foam ... but I wouldn't touch it without gloves and definitely give it a deep wash before even attempting to do anything else to it. Heck, I wouldn't even throw something like that in my trashcan - too dirty for it.

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
          That would probably win a gold medal there.

Can't tell if the crap on the PCB is roach poo or some kind of foam ... but I wouldn't touch it without gloves and definitely give it a deep wash before even attempting to do anything else to it. Heck, I wouldn't even throw something like that in my trashcan - too dirty for it.
          Definitely roach poo... I hear they can survive nuclear fallout so i wonder of acetone and alcohol will kill the eggs.. LOL
          This is an act of charitable kindness for sure.

Comment

I've washed out infested electronics before. A tub of hot, soapy water seems to work wonders on cockroaches. If they don't drown, they end up living in the sewer where they belong!

No idea about the eggs though, but I didn't see any in the photos...
            "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
            -David VanHorn

Comment

Definitely roach poo... I hear they can survive nuclear fallout so i wonder of acetone and alcohol will kill the eggs.. LOL
              This is an act of charitable kindness for sure.
              Yes, they can survive high levels of radiation - not because they are resistant to it so much, but because they can reproduce and evolve faster than radiation can kill them.

As for Alcohol (IPA) and Acetone - that will definitely kill them, as would a high concentration of soap in water. They are generally not resistant to many household chemicals either. But again, they can reproduce very fast that they may develop resistance to certain toxic chemicals. As far as highly corrosive/acidic/basic chemicals go, it would be very hard for any organism to develop resistance to those. Even bacteria have a hard time. That's why a lot of the common household cleaners say they will get rid of 99.99% of the bacteria. In other words, from every 10000 bacteria bodies, at least one will survive on average. With billions upon billions of bacteria covering just about every surface, that's quite a few survivors.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                what bands/frequency's does that pos cover?
                you could get a nice Baofeng UV82 for about $30 complete with lithium-ion battery & charger!
                But will it have a Nascar emblem on the front!! LOL

For now it is still in my alcohol bath..... I have to work my way up to touching this even with the gloves on...

Comment

roaches no big deal....compared to bedbugs.
                  one customer brought in a laptop loaded with them.
                  it had eggs in the velcro of the carry case.

Comment

OK ladies and gents.. i'm suiting up and going in for the cleaning..... I will have to let it bake for a night to dry but we'll be able to test tomorrow... hopefully..I will survive and even avoid the "bedbugs" them is some nasty buggers..... can usually find them at the local goodwill and thrift shops....

Comment

what about UV - will it kill the bastards?

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu View Post
                        roaches no big deal....compared to bedbugs.
                        Yeah, I heard heat is the only thing that can truly get rid of those buggers, like heating the house above 120F/50C and leaving it like that for a few days.

what about UV - will it kill the bastards?
                        Yes.
                        After all, it also kills bacteria and gives you skin cancer if you over-do it...

In fact, I remember hearing somewhere that this is how they clean waters in the very dry and poor parts of Africa - they let ground water settle so that it is clear. Once clear, they pour it into clear plastic water bottles and leave it out under the sun for a full day. Some research showed that after 4-5 hours of hard sunlight, many of the dangerous bacteria in the water would die due to the strong UV and make the water mostly safe for drinking.

Comment

Well fellows If I wasn't seeing this I wouldn't believe it. She works just fine and come to find out the nascar emblem means it scans the official nascar channels so you can hear the pits talk when your at the race. It also is programmable for local police fire ect..
                          GO FIGURE.. I gotta give freaken Uniden cudos on this one. I noticed right away when cleaning it was gold trace circuit board.. every bit of the board was gold plate traces.
                          Dang... I soaked this sucker submerged in alcohol for about two or 3 days.. LOL
                          Any way I have no idea what to charge the old dude... $30?? heck I used a $9 bottle of 99% alcohol... figure $20 for my trouble... hell i don't know but one like it is $70 on ebay and up from there so.......
                          I just cannot believe it works perfectly.
                          I stuck a manual in just in case someone needs it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

9$ ?? how much did you use??

i buy 10L of 99.9% IPA for 30$

Comment

Nice job man!
                              Looks like a pretty cool gadget.

I say charge the guy $25... or go for $30 and give him like 1 month warranty or something like that - that way, he might be more willing to pay the higher price. After all, you did use up quite a bit of alcohol to clean up that roach poo, so it is what it is.

Comment

9$ ?? how much did you use??

i buy 10L of 99.9% IPA for 30$
                                Used to be $1.99 for 16 oz bottle in drug stores. Now the greedy pigs removed it from the shelves and you have to order online. It's called capitolism.. when they see an opportunity they capitalize on it. All about the Benjamins....
                                You can buy a case for about $2.50 per bottle if you get a 12 pack but then comes shipping and handling...... Yeah there is the face punch

I used 2 16oz bottles.... it was ruined so i cannot use with anything else. Or since it was tiny turds.. i just don't want to use it.. $9 is a little bit up but not when you add the shipping....

Comment

Originally posted by momaka View Post
                                  Nice job man!
                                  Looks like a pretty cool gadget.

I say charge the guy $25... or go for $30 and give him like 1 month warranty or something like that - that way, he might be more willing to pay the higher price. After all, you did use up quite a bit of alcohol to clean up that roach poo, so it is what it is.
                                  My wife said $20.. he is a lovable old guy and would pay what we ask. she said it will come back to me when I need some help one day. I agree.

Comment

My wife said $20.. he is a lovable old guy and would pay what we ask. she said it will come back to me when I need some help one day. I agree.
                                    If you know the guy, then yeah - give him lower price as he might do something back for you as well someday.

Comment

Nice job on bringing it back to life one less item in the land fill

I also give break to some people when fixing something for them
                                      9 PC LCD Monitor
                                      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
                                      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
                                      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
                                      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
                                      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
                                      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
                                      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
                                      1 Dell Mother Board
                                      15 Computer Power Supply
                                      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
                                      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
                                      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Used to be $1.99 for 16 oz bottle in drug stores. Now the greedy pigs removed it from the shelves and you have to order online. It's called capitolism.. when they see an opportunity they capitalize on it. All about the Benjamins....
                                        I think it's more like restrictions on substances which might be used for 'terrorism' or illegal drug manufacturing.
                                        "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
                                        -David VanHorn

Comment

Working...
                                        X