ratdude's main rig mayhem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ratdude's main rig mayhem

i will soon be ordering parts to get my main rig back up to par.

I already have:

atech G4 clone case
    950w tuniq psu (will be recapped soon)
    intel dp35dp mobo
    PDC 1.8ghz cpu
    cooler master TX3 cooler
    1 1gb stick of corsair 667mhz ddr2
    poly modded evga 256mb geforce 7600gt pci-e card
    analog tv tuner
    ide ls120 drive (for the floppy cutout slot in the case)

what i want to buy soon:

-2x SATA dvd burners (two doors for optical drives on the case, so why the hell not?)
    -sata hard drive (250gb or bigger with sata2)
    -internal card reader with a silver faceplate and 1 or 3 usb ports
    -more 667 or 800 ram (i have a member who i might be getting these used from)
    -90mm pwm fan (the non-pwm fan i had didn't play well with my mobo, see the intel fan thread)

my goals for the computer:

quiet
    decent power for linux gaming (torcs, foobillard, etc.)
    looks decent

how does my existing or top buy parts list look?
    sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Re: ratdude's main rig mayhem

looks pretty cool to me.... though i'm not sure if you want two optical drives, you can probably get something else that fits that slot. hard drive looks good. maybe if you get ram, get the same speed, since it can run in x-channel. it might be cheaper too. Does your mobo support pwm (system fan has 4-pin)?

Comment

the slot is optical only:

the board has 2 pwm fan ports
      sigpic

Comment

If you were in Oz, you could have my spare 92mm PWM fan from my TX3, but shipping would be a real killer to the US.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I'd get rid of the 1GB stick and get a matched pair, size and brand are your choice. Much less headache that way.
          Originally posted by PeteS in CA
          Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
          A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
            I'd get rid of the 1GB stick and get a matched pair, size and brand are your choice. Much less headache that way.
            that was the plan. 2x 1gb matched, corsair goes bye-bye.
            sigpic

Comment

Lots and lots of neon lights!!!!! They increase power 10 fold!!!!

Seriously, sounds great. Wow, and old LS120 drive! Haven't used mine in years. Was an awesome drive, and I loved the quick format of floppies for boot disks back in the day.

Comment

Haven't used a floppy in years. It was always completely unreliable.

Comment

Originally posted by NxB View Post
                  I still use one, mine's been pretty reliable. Certainly saves the hassle of wiping everything off a flash drive to make it bootable, then putting all the stuff back on and figuring out 2 minutes later that you need that bootable program again.
                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

tell me about it!
                    finding good drives and disks when i need them if fun.esp the micro floppy used in the swi stuff.those are always bad in m2,m3 boxes./hijack.
                    i may have some matched ddr2 800 sticks if you need them.
                    Originally posted by NxB View Post

Comment

well, my 1gb I have now came from you... have anything? if so pm me a price.
                      sigpic

Comment

well well well...

i found on newegg samsung lightscribe burners for $17 a pop. are samsung drives ok?

i also found that for $17 i can buy an identical memory module to what i have... so i can get 2gb for $17.

nothing has been ordered yet... any last minute input?
                        sigpic

Comment

No, Samsung drives don't last for more than a few months.
                          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

they're not the best.... but i guess for $17 it aint too bad.

for $2 more you can get LiteOn: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106333 or LG: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827136178.

apparently ppl really like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106335 tho i'm still using old liteons. not ihas model yet.

Comment

I've heard bad things about Samsung drives. Their hard drives are junk, why trust their opticals?

Go with Sony/NEC Optiarc. I have one for about a year and it cost me $29. I should have bought two - its been a good drive.

Comment

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827118040

That's the one I have and it's been great so far. I go through about a 100-pack of CD-Rs a year and slightly fewer DVD-Rs, so my drive gets a fair amount of use.

EDIT: By the way, LightScribe is kinda cool but the media is expensive. My dad got lucky and picked up a 50-pack of LightScribe DVD+R for $10 because of a pricing error at Fry's. They are not usually anywhere near that cheap.
                                Last edited by weirdlookinguy; 01-12-2011, 07:31 PM.

Comment

ok... it means only one optical but whatever... i might save up for blue ray later...

fan:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835186034

card reader:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820223103

hard drive:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136113

memory:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820146580

i am also getting more ram for may laptop as 512mb ain't cutting it... my laptop is sooo slow running gnome 3. I think i will get a couple of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820145506

comments?
                                  Last edited by ratdude747; 01-12-2011, 08:04 PM.
                                  sigpic

Comment

iirc i have a 2gb kit 2x1gb ocz kit here you can get.
                                    as for the opticals i have a few samsungs i installed several years back in a machine shop.
                                    used every day and a nasty environment.
                                    still going.
                                    certain batches/models give the bad press while the vast majority are fine.the sony optiarcs i have around here are 16.99 newegg blowouts.they also had spotty reviews.
                                    bought 50 of them and sold all but 6 which i still have 2 years later.not one dud.these all went to folks who would have let me know if these died.

Comment

ok... i was wanting lightscribe for at least 1 drive... all of my samsungs have been fine but they are old as %^&*! newest is a white ATA dvd-rom... so is the conclusing that the $17 samsung w/ lightscribe is good quality or s***can quality?

I heard newer lite-on and LG were junk... any truth to that?

i found another fix for only one SATA optical... my ide cable reaches the lower doored drive bay so i popped in a lite-on combo drive i have sitting around... with the idea that it would someday be swapped for blue ray.

does the fan look ok? it has a "fluid dynamic bearing"... it appears to be the only 92mm fan with pwm... if I am paying $10 for a fan i want to make sure it is a decent one...
                                      sigpic

Comment

I've heard bad things about Samsung drives. Their hard drives are junk, why trust their opticals?
                                        Their old IDE hard drives are some of the quietest around. Slow, but quiet. Their new F4 series is supposed to be pretty good. Their hard drives are are not all terrible.
                                        "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Working...
                                        X