dell core i7 windows 10 slow hdd 3mb/s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dell core i7 windows 10 slow hdd 3mb/s

dell inspiron laptop core i7-7500u cpu, 8gb ram, 1tb 5400rpm hdd, windows 10 pro, customer complaint "computer is too new to be this slow"

hdd is st1000lm035-1rk172. updated intel chipset drivers and bios from dell site. drive sounds fine, no funny noises.

hdd smart data is ok with both hdtune 5.7 and latest crystaldisk info. hdtune error scan was running at 3mb/s so it would have taken too long to finish but after like 15 mins the little portion it had done were green.. hdtune benchmark results:

benchmark averages 4.3mb/s, one spike to 50mb/s but under 10mb/s the whole rest of the benchmark. ave access time 35ms. burst rate 108.8mb/s.

ran a short drive self test in seatools and it got stuck at 90% and said failed but it didn't really say why...

chkdsk didn't help. it hasn't run windows update successfully in a long time so if i leave it running for a bit and restart it, it'll get stuck at "getting windows ready" until i do a hard reboot.

Re: dell core i7 windows 10 slow hdd 3mb/s

controller is wonky I'd guess, I had an AIO do this exact same thing to me. I had to replace the motherboard.
    <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
    Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
    http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Team : 49813
    Join in!!
    Team Stats

Comment

Grab a bbk hard drive/ssd and install 7 or 10 on it. This will tell you if its a virus, faulty drive or hardware.

Comment

5400 rpm seems like a strange choice to pair with a cpu like that.
        the devil's o.s. wont help either.

Comment

The windows rate index is a good place to start checking from . Of course the CPU will show 7.8 from 7.9 , and so for the 8 GB modules .

The deficiency will fall primarily on the Hard disk (5.2 index) , so better replace it with something with 64 MB Cache at least , and 7200 r.p.m . Of course an SSD 250 GB as a system is the ultimate solution .

Another bottleneck will be the integrated graphics . It won't score more than 6.5 in the best cases . An Nvidia VGA , like the GTX 10XX is recommended .

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
            5400 rpm seems like a strange choice to pair with a cpu like that.
            It is stupid but common, manufactures know most people only look at the capacity for HDDs, so slow HDDs in mid/high end laptops where you would expect better are common.

Comment

a 5400rpm drive should be that slow and causing errors. Something is wrong.
              <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
              Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                a 5400rpm drive should not be that slow and causing errors. Something is wrong.
                Fixed it for ya.
                sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Originally posted by ratdude747 View Post
                  Fixed it for ya.

darn us old people.
                  <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                  Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
                    a 5400rpm drive should be that slow
                    Yes, it should indeed.
                    Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

Originally posted by goontron View Post
                      Yes, it should indeed.
                      This from the guy that loves quantum bigfoots @ 4500 RPM? How can that be?!
                      <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                      Team Stats

Comment

^ Ey, i like Bigfoots because they - in particular the TX series 12GB model - were the first hard drive to attain a capacity in the double digits of gigabytes.
                        Things I've fixed: anything from semis to crappy Chinese $2 radios, and now an IoT Dildo....

"Dude, this is Wyoming, i hopped on and sent 'er. No fucking around." -- Me

Excuse me while i do something dangerous

You must have a sad, sad boring life if you hate on people harmlessly enjoying life with an animal costume.

Sometimes you need to break shit to fix it.... Thats why my lawnmower doesn't have a deadman switch or engine brake anymore

Follow the white rabbit.

Comment

So... Left the laptop sitting for 8 hours and it semmed to have mostly resolved itself. Then it sat overnight and installed some updates and it was even faster in the morning.

Drive self-test passed, everything is good, just windows 10 being a piece of crap and getting stuck on some sort of updates or background process.

Thanks for your input anyway.

Glad I don't work on computers for a living anymore. Cars (especially late 80s through early 2000s) are much more enjoyable to work on and web development much more profitable.
                          Last edited by shovenose; 08-22-2017, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shovenose View Post
                            Glad I don't work on computers for a living anymore.
                            You and me both! It makes a great hobby, same as cars.
                            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Join in!!
                            Team Stats

Comment

So... Left the laptop sitting for 8 hours and it semmed to have mostly resolved itself. Then it sat overnight and installed some updates and it was even faster in the morning.

Drive self-test passed, everything is good, just windows 10 being a piece of crap and getting stuck on some sort of updates or background process..
                              Windows Defender. That made a brand spanking new computer with a 2500MB/s NVME SSD bog down while extracting a 70MB network card driver...

Upgrading to a real antivirus helps. Or no antivirus and just run ad blockers. But for your average joe a decent free AV like avast! or AVG is a good solution.
                              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                Windows Defender. That made a brand spanking new computer with a 2500MB/s NVME SSD bog down while extracting a 70MB network card driver...

Upgrading to a real antivirus helps.
                                upgrading to a real o.s. that does not have bogus driver packages would also help - a driver like that shouldnt even be a meg of code!

Comment

The driver itself was like 3 megs, the rest was applications and control panels. You know, typical windows stuff.

Win10 ain't all that bad. It's hit and miss like everything else Microsoft has ever put out, but it's not bad. The only thing i don't agree with (besides the privacy invasion that can be turned off) is moving from service packs to a continuous rolling release - you never know which "Windows 10" you're going to get on your next install.
                                  Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                  Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                  A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                                    The only thing i don't agree with (besides the privacy invasion that can be turned off)
                                    no it cant - that's been proven to be a placibo.

Comment

dell inspiron laptop core i7-7500u cpu, 8gb ram, 1tb 5400rpm hdd, windows 10 pro, customer complaint "computer is too new to be this slow"

hdd is st1000lm035-1rk172. updated intel chipset drivers and bios from dell site. drive sounds fine, no funny noises.

hdd smart data is ok with both hdtune 5.7 and latest crystaldisk info. hdtune error scan was running at 3mb/s so it would have taken too long to finish but after like 15 mins the little portion it had done were green.. hdtune benchmark results:

benchmark averages 4.3mb/s, one spike to 50mb/s but under 10mb/s the whole rest of the benchmark. ave access time 35ms. burst rate 108.8mb/s.

ran a short drive self test in seatools and it got stuck at 90% and said failed but it didn't really say why...

chkdsk didn't help. it hasn't run windows update successfully in a long time so if i leave it running for a bit and restart it, it'll get stuck at "getting windows ready" until i do a hard reboot.
                                      Is it an Inspiron 7000 'convertible' 2-in-1?

Comment

Sometimes I feel newer hard drives are not reporting SMART failures until it's sure there's a real issue, just to make sure people who see a hard drive sneeze don't immediately dig a grave for it (and avoid the costly RMA, of course)...

Definitely not normal indeed, though as an experiment while I was doing a massive OS upgrade on my SSD: I ran a similar sized HDD with an image copy of the SSD. The HDD was operating perfectly though at around 60MB/sec PATA (with a SATA converter).

hoobooy, yes that is quite slow after getting quite accustomed to the SSD. However for small transfers it's still usable, but copying/loading large files into RAM took what felt like an eternity.

Comment

Working...
                                        X