• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My laptop is sucidial.

Everex Stepnote xt5300t

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 TK-53 Dual core 1.7GHZ
    GPU: Nvidia 8600M GS.

In this photo my laptop is on and running opensuse. This fan will not start spinning until the laptop is on fire. It does the same thing in windows if I set it to powersave or balanced. This thing kicks on and off like an air conditioner. It's annoying I just want it on all the time.

I can't use speedfan or sensors to control the fan, it's not detected.

Bios doesn't have anything useful, very limited. Also Manufacturer went out of business, and US version of the website is no longer around, meaning no bios update.

I've re-did the thermal paste about year ago and used Artic silver 5 both on gpu and cpu, it helped some. I can use it with little discomfort at idle but when I'm doing intensive stuff on it, it starts burning my leg.
    Thing runs hot, cpu idles around 50 Celsius and that's at 800mhz. When everything is full load it can get up 70 easily and GPU can hit 90, before the fan starts going full rev.

The problem is not the heat transfer from the processors but the lack dissipation due to the fan not running.

Let's mod this bitch.

I think this fan is controlled by voltage and not by PWM.

I would like to make something that amplifies the voltage enough to make the fan spin but still in control of the system.

I don't have alot of knowledge on how to make something that complicated, but would be grateful if the badcaps community came together to assist me in this crusade against my laptop, who's with me?!
    Attached Files

Re: My laptop is sucidial.

nVidia graphics. Run the fan full speed all the time.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Experimented with it using a adjustable 1.5v-12v power adapter. The Fan is 5v 1.7W, I set the adapter to 4.5v. The sound doesn't both me that much, so I guess I just wire it to 5v source.

I just need to find a place that supplies 5v but won't blow the fuse or fry the board. USB jacks are near by, I think I can solder on some wire and tap into the 5v there?

The only problem is 1.7W / 5v = 0.34 amps 340mA
      Isn't the USB power specification 500mA max?

Safe?

or should I wire it to the sata/power plug in the hard-drive bay? Harder to get to.
      If usb, anyone know what the pin out is for the USB receptacle?
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Mad_Professor; 05-28-2011, 03:47 AM.

Comment

Yeah. USB is 5v 500mA. It will be fine for the fan, but don't use the port you connect the fan to or you might draw more (unless it's through a powered hub).

http://pinouts.ws/usb-pinout.html - USB Pinouts
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

That is major reason I don't buy a generic notebook like everex stepnote, Eurocom etc.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Any laptop could have a fan controller that is designed to run the fan slowly so the computer is quieter. Many computer users hate being able to hear fans, so computer manufacturers design the cooling system so the fan only runs when the temperature is above the maximum temperature rating of the component that is being cooled. People would rather have a computer that is burning hot than one with a spinning fan that they might be able to hear.

Comment

Working...
            X