2007 Samsung LN-S4095D won't power on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2007 Samsung LN-S4095D won't power on.

I bought my Samsung lcd in March 2007 which means it was probably manufactured in 2006. I was watching Netflix when the tv flickered on and off as if it was being reset during a power brown out. There were brief artifacts on the screen and my home theater system displayed the HDCP ERROR message. Sound kept working, but the video wasn't coming back. It did this 2 or 3 more times over the next 5 minutes until it just wouldn't power back on anymore.

When pressing the power button on the tv, nothing happened. When pressing power on the remote, the light next to the power button would blink on the tv but again it wouldn't turn on.

After searching online I saw the common problem being the capacitors. Once I removed the cover and exposed the power board, I couldn't see any apparent issues with the capacitors. No bulging, leaking, etc. There was one capacitor that had black smearing on the top that looked like magic marker, but I remember seeing that can be leakage. So, I removed it. Upon close inspection of the capacitor, there is no swelling or damage to the top, I'm wondering if it was drawn on. I marked that capacitor in the first pic.

In the second pic, focusing on the upper right corner of the board which is a common problem area in other Samsung tvs, the caps seem ok, but there is one cap that seems to have a different substance on its surface than the one directly near it. They are wrapped in some sort of sleeve, so I can't tell what exactly they are. The only marking it has is that it is rated at 105 C. Could that be a problem as well?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by RuffRhyno; 09-13-2012, 04:08 PM.

Re: 2007 Samsung LN-S4095D won't power on.

Originally posted by RuffRhyno View Post
    There was one capacitor that had black smearing on the top that looked like magic marker, but I remember seeing that can be leakage.
    That is likely black felt marker from the factory.

They are wrapped in some sort of sleeve, so I can't tell what exactly they are. The only marking it has is that it is rated at 105 C. Could that be a problem as well?
    If it is marked LM852 on the board, "L" is usually an inductor and they rarely go bad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...e_designations

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductor

Do you have a multimeter and know how to measure DC voltage? If yes, what are the DC voltages on the two connectors in the corner? List them like so,

legend-silkscreen my reading
    pin GND = 0
    pin 5V SB = 5.034
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

In the photo that you have the one on left which I am going to say in #1 it looks like this may have cap pop it top

If I was working on this set and had it 5 years already I would check ALL CAPS with a ESR cap tester if you do not have one I would replace
      ALL of the caps on that board with FC type caps

If you run this TV set like I run mine it ON for at least 12 to 14 hours a day and some time more than that

There is not that many caps on this board

http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...luminum/131081

In the search pick FC Type

Series = FC

Manufacturer

Capacitance = The value that you want
      Voltage Rating = The value that you want
      Tolerance

Lifetime @ Temp.

Operating Temperature = This will be 105
      Features = General Purpose

Ripple Current

ESR (Equivalent Series Resistance)

Impedance

Mounting Type = Through Hole
      Package / Case

Size / Dimension = The value that you want if you know the size

Height - Seated (Max) = The value that you want if you know the size

Lead Spacing

Surface Mount Land Size

Packaging

I hope this helps
      Attached Files
      Last edited by sam_sam_sam; 09-13-2012, 06:42 PM.
      9 PC LCD Monitor
      6 LCD Flat Screen TV
      30 Desk Top Switching Power Supply
      10 Battery Charger Switching Power Supply for Power Tool
      6 18v Lithium Battery Power Boards for Tool Battery Packs
      1 XBox 360 Switching Power Supply and M Board
      25 Servo Drives 220/460 3 Phase
      6 De-soldering Station Switching Power Supply 1 Power Supply
      1 Dell Mother Board
      15 Computer Power Supply
      1 HP Printer Supply & Control Board * lighting finished it *

These two repairs where found with a ESR meter...> Temp at 50*F then at 90*F the ESR reading more than 10%

1 Over Head Crane Current Sensing Board ( VFD Failure Five Years Later )
      2 Hem Saw Computer Stack Board

All of these had CAPs POOF
      All of the mosfet that are taken out by bad caps

Comment

Can I see the whole back side of the TV to see how all the boards are connected together?
        On the first picture, there is a small connector on the top left of the board, next to it there is label indicating the function of each pin. Can I see that picture?
        On CN801, there is a pin with 'ON/OFF', can you take the DC voltage reading when the TV is off and when the TV is turn on by the power switch, I want to see if the voltage is toggling at that ON/OFF pin.
        Never stop learning
        Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
        http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by sam_sam_sam View Post
          If I was working on this set and had it 5 years already I would check ALL CAPS with a ESR cap tester if you do not have one I would replace
          ALL of the caps on that board with FC type caps
          @sam_sam_sam

Capxon makes terrible quality caps and while I would agree with your suggestion to recap in general (after there is some evidence the caps are at fault), the suggestion of using FC may not meet the original caps' ESR.

Panasonic makes FM/FR which has better ripple and ESR characteristics compared to FC.
          --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Working...
          X