X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Dell E228WFPC goes dim after 10 minutes, not 2 seconds

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
    I think I see a few things that should be clarified:

1) I think when POM_MJ mentioned "0805" back in post #19, it might have been interpreted as "C805". 0805 defines the case style of the smd cap he used. It defines a specific length and width.

2) Since the original cap is 1uf 16V, budm specified connecting two .47uf caps (not the 0.047uf that you mentioned above) in parallel, which gives a total of 0.94uf (close enough to the desired 1 uf). Also, pre-bend the leads of the caps before you solder them in, as bending them afterwards will lift the pads off the circuit board.

3) To remove C806, if you have access to a second soldering iron, hold an iron in each hand and heat both ends of C806 at the same time.

4) If you opt to order a surface mount cap for C806, then the proper value is: 1uf 16V, case style 0603.
    Clear and concise. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by jetadm123 View Post
      I think I see a few things that should be clarified:

1) I think when POM_MJ mentioned "0805" back in post #19, it might have been interpreted as "C805". 0805 defines the case style of the smd cap he used. It defines a specific length and width.

2) Since the original cap is 1uf 16V, budm specified connecting two .47uf caps (not the 0.047uf that you mentioned above) in parallel, which gives a total of 0.94uf (close enough to the desired 1 uf). Also, pre-bend the leads of the caps before you solder them in, as bending them afterwards will lift the pads off the circuit board.

3) To remove C806, if you have access to a second soldering iron, hold an iron in each hand and heat both ends of C806 at the same time.

4) If you opt to order a surface mount cap for C806, then the proper value is: 1uf 16V, case style 0603.
      Yes, "0805" is case style for the replacement cap 0.1uF/50V I used, original cap is "0603" 1uF/16V.
      Last edited by POM_MJ; 04-19-2012, 11:19 PM.
      | AMD Phenom II X2 550BE | GIGABYTE GA-MA790FXT-UD5P | GeIL DDR3 Ultra 2x2GB 1600C7 |
      | XFX GTS250 DDR3 512MB | Dell H525EF-00 | Lancool PC-K62 Black | Samsung 2232GW |
      | 2xWD7500AYYS | 2xHD322GJ Raid0 |

Comment

Can I just chip in here, I would try the heat again but being more precise - pre heat the cap with a soldering iron before switching on.
        Then If it is established that it is the cap do we think it is a faulty batch of caps or is the cap underrated for its position. Jetadm123 ,I think, is suggesting ordering the same value as the original but perhaps going with Pom_mj' s uplift is the way to go?
        I (obviously) havent a clue.
        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
        http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

Pre heating the cap is a good idea. I'll give that a shot.

Comment

Small development here - I chose to purchase a replacement inverter board from feebay, and the monitor is acting the same again.

Now, I'm not so sure it's not the CCFL's.

Next step is to try the eBay inverter on another sister monitor at work to ensure that the replacement inverter is good. If so, then my issue MUST lie with the panel - probably a failing backlight bulb.

Comment

I had a chance to bring a sister monitor home from work again today.

I swapped my bad panel into the known good inverter and logic board.

I've been using the monitor for more the 15 minutes already, with zero issues.

Next up is to marry the good LCD panel with my suspect inverter and logic board to see if the dimming behavior comes back.

One thing to note here, I'm not using the original inverter on my bad monitor any more. I bought a (supposed new) replacement inverter board on feeBay a few weeks back. But the replacement inverter board is acting the same way.

I'm going to go put the good lcd panel on my bad inverter and logic board and see what happens.

More to follow....

Comment

OK, I put the good lcd panel on the suspect inverter / logic combo.

15 minutes in, and no issues. Shut the monitor off, and turned it back on, and *blam* monitor starts the dimming behavior.

So, I have double verified that my LCD panel is good. There is most definitely a problem with either my (new) inverter, or my logic board.

I'm going to try swapping the logic boards between the two monitors next, to rule that out.

Comment

Swapped the LCD logic boards between the two monitors.

Tested the good monitor with the logic board from my bad one for 15 minutes: no problems.

Now I'm testing the bad monitor with the logic board from the good one. I'm 7 minutes in, and waiting. We'll see.

Comment

10 minutes in on the bad monitor again, and

*oops*

There it went.

It's weird...it's like at about 10 or 11 minutes, I can see the brightness of the monitor go up just the tiniest little bit, and then within 30 seconds, it'll go dim.

It is most definitely the inverter board.

So, my inverter board is bad, and my supposed new replacement inverter board is also bad. Great. Time to initiate a Paypal claim with the eBay seller.

Comment

I'm no good at surface mount soldering. Anyone here up for the challenge?

Comment

Perhaps a good time to update your profile with where you live and voltage?
                        Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair

Comment

After not being able to participate in 'Badcaps' since Dec last year due to having some Surgery,it is nice to see it is still going strong and helping those that need it.
                          This was of great interest to me, as I have had the same monitor with the fault for a few months now,and I know lots of others have in the past.
                          So took out C806 as advised, repalaced with 0.1uf,50v ceramic disc,and it has been running for the last 4 hours with no shutting down,with the fault on it used to take 30-40 minutes before fading away.I am delighted,both with fix and the return to the Forum.

Comment

Originally posted by Rtech View Post
                            After not being able to participate in 'Badcaps' since Dec last year due to having some Surgery,it is nice to see it is still going strong and helping those that need it.
                            This was of great interest to me, as I have had the same monitor with the fault for a few months now,and I know lots of others have in the past.
                            So took out C806 as advised, repalaced with 0.1uf,50v ceramic disc,and it has been running for the last 4 hours with no shutting down,with the fault on it used to take 30-40 minutes before fading away.I am delighted,both with fix and the return to the Forum.
                            Can you provide some photos of the repair you did? I will likely send this off to have this repair done, but I'd like to see what you did so I can instruct someone to do the same.

Thanks,

-Brad

Comment

Brad, regretfully the Monitor now totally built back up to its normal state.

Comment

Brad, regretfully the Monitor now totally built back up to its normal state.
                                Meaning the problem has re-occured? Or meaning you've buttoned it all back up and don't want to crack it open again?

Comment

Restored to normal,and my son has taken it to his home this evening to use for a day or so,as his old Benq has given up the Ghost,so this is a good way to give the Dell a really good soak test.

Comment

Restored to normal,and my son has taken it to his home this evening to use for a day or so,as his old Benq has given up the Ghost,so this is a good way to give the Dell a really good soak test.
                                    Aha...got it. Where did you solder the ceramic cap?

Comment

I first removed the C806, and there are two non used solder points directly next to the 'o' link,these go to the same points where the C806 was connected to.I then put a piece of insulation tape over the '0' link and the Diode next to it,put a little sleeving on the legs of the ceramic Disc I was fitting, and soldered to the two non used points,with the ceramic disc resting on the insulation tape.As the disc is thin when lying flat on the tape it does not cause any problems,and has worked very well.

Comment

Ok Rtech just to be sure I have done a pic of what I think you did.
                                        Perhaps you can confirm.
                                        Was there some reason not to use the C608 pads?
                                        Attached Files
                                        Last edited by selldoor; 05-21-2012, 02:35 PM.

Comment

I could have, but the top one is very close to R819,it would be easy for a slip of the soldering iron to cause damage to that.The way i done it used 2 previously non use solder points so therefore logically in better shape than the originals,and it made the job simpler as the legs of the replacement disc fitted very nicely to those points,without having to bend then,twist them etc etc.,so it was also much neater and professional in the end.

Comment

Working...
                                          X