Thank you to the guys at HEGE supporting Badcaps [ HEGE ] [ HEGE DEX Chart ]

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New tool, Aoyue 8800! Desoldering just got easy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New tool, Aoyue 8800! Desoldering just got easy!

This thing is absolutely amazing! Well worth the $179. I'm supposed to be saving up for an oscilloscope but I decided I could use this more. I've been doing a lot of rework on sustain boards and I'm just sick of struggling with desoldering braid and vacuum pens. So far, I've tested it on a TNPA3557 SC board I'm working on. MOSFETs just drop right out of the board. Takes about 3-5 seconds to melt the solder. No problems even on multi-layer boards. I was going to buy one of those cheap S-993A guns but I found this thread which made me change my mind. I think those S-993A things have been modified to work on 110v. I find it odd that the 110v and 220v versions have the exact same model number. My guess is that they've just changed the cord, so you're supplying 110v to a 220v element and only getting half the power, so 50w instead of 100w. Just speculation, but the people who've used the 220v version seem satisfied with the way they work. The specs on this 8800 are a bit misleading. The power supply is rated for 150w, so it's advertised as a 150w desoldering pump. In actuality, the gun only draws 100 watts. It's got a temp range of 200°C -480°C / 392°F - 896°F. One think I really love is the all metal holder.
    Attached Files
    ------------signature starts here------------

Re: New tool, Aoyue 8800! Desoldering just got easy!

Isn't that 250W at 125V?
    ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Nice I use a Duratool Zd915 desoldering station it as well as yours isnt any hakko but has great thermal capacity and sucks up the solder like a champ, mine only cost £67 but has been one of the most useful tools I could have brought and makes my life alot easier
      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
        Isn't that 250W at 125V?
        100w at 110v.

Comment

Originally posted by ReeceyBurger123 View Post
          Nice I use a Duratool Zd915 desoldering station it as well as yours isnt any hakko but has great thermal capacity and sucks up the solder like a champ, mine only cost £67 but has been one of the most useful tools I could have brought and makes my life alot easier
          This is going to make troubleshooting sustain boards so much faster. It comes with a nice storage case, but I think it will never see the inside of it again. I looked at the Hakko FR-300. This was about $80 less, and already $80 more than I intended to spend. My finger was literally hovering above the buy it now button for one of those S-993a guns, then I decided to look for some reviews on the 110v version. Glad I did.

Comment

Congratulations, nice bit of kit.

I've seen a short review of the FR-300, this definitely looks to be a much better deal.

The question is, will you be able to get parts for it in 20 years like you can with Hakko.

There are methods of removing sustain boards without a desoldering vacuum, but it involves breaking the pins.
            "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post

The question is, will you be able to get parts for it in 20 years like you can with Hakko.
              I hope so!

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
              There are methods of removing sustain boards without a desoldering vacuum, but it involves breaking the pins.
              Generally, when I'm troubleshooting, I try to reuse parts which aren't bad. Especially considering that most parts have to be ordered from China.

Comment

Nice toy!! Old saying goes, " you get what you pay for" I've been there done that with cheap irons. Frustrated as hell, not being able to get them hot enough etc....repair enough of them, it will pay for itself!! As for an ossiliscope, not sure how keen you are on used?? I did find mine at a local thrift shop for $35. Guess I got lucky?? Been working perfectly 2+ years

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                  100w at 110v.
                  The label says 2A. :/
                  ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Originally posted by RJARRRPCGP View Post
                    The label says 2A. :/
                    Also, on a single layer board this thing melts the solder instantly. I just swapped out a transformer and fixed a power supply in under a minute. Score 1 for the 8800!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sugar_ray View Post
                      Nice toy!! Old saying goes, " you get what you pay for" I've been there done that with cheap irons. Frustrated as hell, not being able to get them hot enough etc....repair enough of them, it will pay for itself!! As for an ossiliscope, not sure how keen you are on used?? I did find mine at a local thrift shop for $35. Guess I got lucky?? Been working perfectly 2+ years
                      I was originally going for a used one. Now, I've decided on a new Rigol DS1054Z, 4ch 50mhz hackable to 100mhz. $399 at tequipment.net, and they offer a discount to EEVblog forum members. I was going to get it a few weeks ago but had some unexpected bills pop up. They're out of stock right now, I'm planning on getting one when they get their next shipment in.

Comment

You won't regret the 1054Z, it's great scope... I have a 1074Z.. I kinda regret not waiting a few months for the 1054Z to come out, what a bargain at that price, but anyway

I've never been a good fan of Aoyue stuff when my Aoyue 968 station encountered all sorts of problems. In the 12 months that I owned it, the hot air heating element failed twice, the soldering iron once, and the display kept going blank or showing crazy temperatures that I knew were wrong. I hope the 8800 is better for you.
                        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

If this thing lasts a year, I'll be happy. It will pay for itself within that time, and then I can get a Hakko.

Comment

I've had an Aoyue 852A++ hot air station for a few years. Not bad, but I'd probably buy something different if I had it to do over. Hopefully, the desoldering gun works out. I've had a Hakko 808 for a while, and I never use an iron to desolder through-hole components anymore.
                            LG Plasma Mal-Discharge Correction Service

Comment

Originally posted by capkid View Post
                              I've had an Aoyue 852A++ hot air station for a few years. Not bad, but I'd probably buy something different if I had it to do over. Hopefully, the desoldering gun works out. I've had a Hakko 808 for a while, and I never use an iron to desolder through-hole components anymore.
                              I have a Kendal 852D++ which is probably just a rebranded Aoyue. Had it since Sept, 2013 and never had a problem with it. Probably have a few hundred hours on it. When I upgrade from that, I'll probably get a Hakko with the hot air, vacuum desolder, and soldering iron, all in 1 unit.

Comment

Originally posted by capkid View Post
                                I bought that model last month, use it about 4 times so far.
                                I took it apart when I received it to verify that the Line, Neutral, and GND, and the rest of the unit are put it together.
                                The first thing I notice is that the nylon standoff that hold the PCBA on the rear panel were all broken so the board was just sitting inside.
                                I notified them but did not get the response.
                                I replaced the standoff with better version.
                                The units works well for me, and the heater assembly also looks good.
                                Here are the pictures:
                                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/bud...?sort=3&page=1
                                Never stop learning
                                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Originally posted by budm View Post
                                  I bought that model last month, use it about 4 times so far.
                                  I took it apart when I received it to verify that the Line, Neutral, and GND, and the rest of the unit are put it together.
                                  The first thing I notice is that the nylon standoff that hold the PCBA on the rear panel were all broken so the board was just sitting inside.
                                  I notified them but did not get the response.
                                  I replaced the standoff with better version.
                                  The units works well for me, and the heater assembly also looks good.
                                  Here are the pictures:
                                  http://s807.photobucket.com/user/bud...?sort=3&page=1
                                  Yeah, I had some issues with the airflow level not rising above "3" on the 1-5 scale. I tightened a couple screws and did a couple other things (been awhile - can't quite remember), and the air gets up to a little above "4" now. It's not a bad unit.
                                  Last edited by capkid; 02-25-2015, 11:38 PM.

Comment

Removed another IPM from an LG sustain board last night with the trusty paint remover. Jesus would one of these come in handy. Just about turned the board into charcoal in the process, will have to look into the proper tool for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by lookimback View Post
                                      This is going to make troubleshooting sustain boards so much faster. It comes with a nice storage case, but I think it will never see the inside of it again. I looked at the Hakko FR-300. This was about $80 less, and already $80 more than I intended to spend. My finger was literally hovering above the buy it now button for one of those S-993a guns, then I decided to look for some reviews on the 110v version. Glad I did.
                                      Fair enough, I couldn't do half the repairs I preform with out it especially on things like motherboards ect.
                                      Please Do Not PM My Page Asking For Help Badcaps Is The Place For Advise, Page Linked For Business Reasons Only. Anyone Doing So Will Be Banned Instantly !

https://www.facebook.com/Telford-Tel...7894576335359/

Comment

Originally posted by mmartell View Post
                                        Removed another IPM from an LG sustain board last night with the trusty paint remover. Jesus would one of these come in handy. Just about turned the board into charcoal in the process, will have to look into the proper tool for the job.
                                        Yes, a desoldering gun makes removing IPMs MUCH easier. One thing I like to do when removing IPMs is to add a little solder to each pin before using the gun so that it flows better and the holes are cleaner. Also, I use a heat gun on a low setting to heat four to five pins at a time so the solder melts easier.

Comment

Working...
                                        X