Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mastech ms8229

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
    Try interchaning the bottom 4 contacts with the top 4 and see if the volts and amps functionality work? The reason for moving them around is perhaps one of the contacts is bad or malformed? If moving them around results in different behavior that tells us something too.
    I did. that was how I got the volts but lost the other functions. I can try moving contacts into different spots and see what that does after I can get to it.
    Make sense? What fun is there in making sense?- Discord

Comment

So it sounds like the contacts on the knob are probably bad. Maybe they have worn down and are not making proper contact with the PCB anymore?
      "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
      -David VanHorn

Comment

Originally posted by Agent24 View Post
        Maybe they have worn down and are not making proper contact with the PCB anymore?
        If that is the case, the cheap/free Harbor Freight $2.99 830 like DMMs can be used as a donor?

Modemhead has some pictures that show the contacts of these cheap meters.

http://mrmodemhead.com/blog/gallery/cen-tech-92020-dmm/

Alternatively, you can try to bend or see if all the contacts are the correct height at the peak point?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

If that is the case, the cheap/free Harbor Freight $2.99 830 like DMMs can be used as a donor?
          If they fit, I suppose so.
          "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
          -David VanHorn

Comment

i cant see how those contacts could be bad,
            i would take closer look at the switch board & meter board.
            i would be checking the through-hole plating etc looking for bad tracks.

one thing i can see, the plastic part has spaces for more contacts.
            are any missing or in the wrong location?

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
              i cant see how those contacts could be bad,
              i would take closer look at the switch board & meter board.
              i would be checking the through-hole plating etc looking for bad tracks.

one thing i can see, the plastic part has spaces for more contacts.
              are any missing or in the wrong location?
              I don't know if they are missing some or in wrong position. I did move them around which is how I got the volts back but lost the other ranges was because one contact was off by barely anything. I can move them but I dont know how much I could do. Also I don't think they are worn down. I used it for only a couple months before it died.

Comment

Try interchaning the bottom 4 contacts with the top 4 and see if the volts and amps functionality work? The reason for moving them around is perhaps one of the contacts is bad or malformed? If moving them around results in different behavior that tells us something too.
                Sorry I took so long. Had some other stuff I was too focused on. I did move the contacts but instead of the top four and bottom four as suggested, I had moved the bottom with the one above it and so on. That was how the contacts got off and it changed it to where the volts were back but every other range was gone until one poster posted a image and I fixed that.

Comment

Working...
                X