Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting > General Electronics Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
lti
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Windsor, Colorado
My Country: United States
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Why do AAA batteries leak so often?

I have seen more AAA batteries leak than any other size of battery. Today, I saw a new, unused Duracell AAA battery leaking inside the factory packaging. What makes them so likely to leak? It seems like the larger cells do not leak as often.
lti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Th3_uN1Qu3
On my level

City & State: Bucharest
My Country: Romania
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Send a message via Yahoo to Th3_uN1Qu3
Default Re: Why do AAA batteries leak so often?

They could be fakes. I've never seen a Duracell leak yet, but then again, i tend to use NiMH rechargeables on everything.
A working TV? How boring!
Th3_uN1Qu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
Rulycat
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North England
My Country: United Kingdom
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker

I've only seen really old stock leak. I find the cheap batteries you get with your TV for the remote never seem to leak. Ever. No matter who makes them.
Rulycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Leeds (University)
My Country: UK
Line Voltage: 230Vac 50Hz

My dad bought some "2800" mAh cells from eBay, against my advisory instead to buy some good brand 2000 mAh such as eneloops. Anyway, he used them in his emergency torch, but after about a month one of them sort of exploded, it expanded and leaked... something. Half the LEDs on one side of the torch don't light up any more (melted plastic) and the board is bent upwards. These were AA too. I wonder how much capacity these cells actually have? I'm guessing around 1000-1500mAh. If China have figured out 2800mAh cells already, and the biggest you can get retail from say Duracell is 2650mAh, I'm shocked!

65 LED/LCD TVs, 5 monitors, 24 plasma TVs, and 2 AVR 6.1 amplifiers saved from the dump!
Totally free service manuals database: http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/ (Contact me for requests or contributions.)

I have successfully fixed (from best --> worst build quality):
1 Pioneer KURO 9G, 8 Panasonic LCD/Plasma, 1 Sony LCD, 1 NEC Plasma, 2 Yamaha HTS, 4 Sharp LCDs, 5 Toshiba LCDs, 7 Philips Plasma/LCD, 1 Hitachi Plasma, 9 LG LCD/Plasma, 14 Samsung LED/LCD/Plasma, 1 Thomson Plasma, 1 Atec LCD, 1 Hanspree LCD, 1 Xerox LCD, 1 Harwa LCD, 2 Proview LCD, 2 Hyundai LCD, 1 "Onn" LCD, 1 Grundig LCD, 1 Dell LCD, 1 iiyama LCD, 1 Acer LED, 1 Logik LCD, 6 Bush LCDs, 19 Vestel LCDs

Last edited by tom66; 05-03-2012 at 04:18 PM..
tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
shovenose
Powered by Bing

City & State: Fairfax, California
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Forum Junkie

Well, the only brand battery I've ever consistnently seen leek are rayocraps. Other than those, only antes Duracell, fujifilm, energizer, etc.
I think the AAAs are just made cheaper so they leak more often.
shovenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #6
popeye

You need to by better quality batteries and when they have expired remove then no more leaks simples
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
lti
Badcaps Veteran

I don't think they're fake. They were purchased from the local grocery store, just like all of the other batteries I have used. I have seen a lot of Duracell AAA batteries leak with little use. This one had never been used and had a use-by date of 2017. I have some old C and D batteries that are nearly a decade past the use-by date and have not leaked.
Old 05-03-2012, 05:58 PM   #8
ncovert
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Pennsylvania
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz 200A
I'm a: Forum Junkie

Dunno. I guess since they have a lower current capacity, they just conk out easier
ncovert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
ben7
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Trenton, NJ
Line Voltage: 240v-120v 60Hz 200A service drop

Maybe it is because the can is smaller, and the seal sometimes isn't quite right.

To tell the truth, I don't use Duracells anymore because of them leaking or exploding on me

Especially the Duracell 9v batteries, they bulge out at the end and after a few weeks they explode, even with light use, or just sitting there not being used.

-Ben
Old 05-04-2012, 08:14 PM   #10
b700029
Banned

The smaller can has a lot to do with it. There is less volume for pressure to build before something gives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_Battery
The reason for leaks is that as batteries discharge either through usage or gradual self-discharge the chemistry of the cells changes and some hydrogen gas is generated. This out-gassing results in increasing pressure within the battery. Eventually, the excess pressure either ruptures the insulating seals at the end of the battery, or the outer metal canister, or both.
b700029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:05 AM   #11
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: New Albany, IN
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
Send a message via Yahoo to ratdude747 Send a message via Skype™ to ratdude747

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7 View Post
Especially the Duracell 9v batteries, they bulge out at the end and after a few weeks they explode, even with light use, or just sitting there not being used.

-Ben
That's because Duracell 9V batteries are in reality 6 AAAAs in a can. like AAAs but smaller and thus even more likely to leak. (good to know if you need AAAAs but are cheap).

The same is true for 6v latern batteries... although what kind and quantity varies by brand. some have C cells, some have AAs...

(Insert signature here)
ratdude747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:23 AM   #12
c_hegge
Super Moderator

City & State: North Coast, NSW
My Country: Australia
Line Voltage: 240V 50Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

I've seen one AA battery leak before. It was some really old no-name brand IIRC. I've never seen a duracel leak, or any other AAA, although I mostly use Energizer Lithium batteries. Lithiums are great because they last for ages and make excellent fireworks when they do eventually die.

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the coils backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 4x 250GB HDD (2 in RAID 1), 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro
c_hegge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #13
kc8adu
Super Moderator

City & State: dayton ohio

never seen lantern batts with other than 4 f cells or in some cases 4 d cells.
lots of crap fake video of various batteries full of aa.
eveready used to make a fancy lantern battery in a plastic case that was easy to open.
i repacked some with nimh f cells and reused a charger station that came from odd lots.saved a lot with those.
as for aaa leaking i suspect that in the race for best capacity things like wall thickness of the can and the seal crimp took a back seat .
thick can=less active material.tall crimp area=wasted volume.
this is one way to spot the fake bullshit nimh aa cells.these are made on old low tech equipment and the crimp is huge!.
compare to your eneloops and take note.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
That's because Duracell 9V batteries are in reality 6 AAAAs in a can. like AAAs but smaller and thus even more likely to leak. (good to know if you need AAAAs but are cheap).

The same is true for 6v latern batteries... although what kind and quantity varies by brand. some have C cells, some have AAs...
kc8adu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #14
Rulycat
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: North England
My Country: United Kingdom

Just had a thought. I've not really seen the failures of Duracells you in the U.S have, and E.U Duracells are made in Belgium whereas yours are made in the U.S.A I think. Some problem at the factory perhaps?

Energizers are still made in the U.S.A here though.
Rulycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:33 PM   #15
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by b700029 View Post
The smaller can has a lot to do with it. There is less volume for pressure to build before something gives.
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben7
Well, I've never had one of these explode on me, but the 9V Duracell definitely bulge a lot more than others near their end of life. Energizer 9V batteries on the other hand, do not bulge as much (if at all), but they often corrode their terminals near end of life. Basically I have a box full of batteries that needs to be thrown away and those were my observations from it.

As far as AAA batteries go - yes, those do indeed leak more often than AA and other larger batteries.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:37 PM   #16
RJARRRPCGP
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Springfield, Vermont
Line Voltage: 122-125V 61-62.5 Hz 100A

The Eveready ones that weigh super light with cat logo, sux!
On a CD player, they die like ni-cads on an RC car!

Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.3 Ghz (367x9.0)

5 GB of DDR 2 SDRAM

FSB termination voltage @ 1.3 V

eVGA GeForce GT 640

Antec VP-450

Windows XP Pro x64 SP2

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Don't eat yellow snow!" -Salem

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747
RJARRRPCGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #17
lti
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Well, I've never had one of these explode on me, but the 9V Duracell definitely bulge a lot more than others near their end of life. Energizer 9V batteries on the other hand, do not bulge as much (if at all), but they often corrode their terminals near end of life. Basically I have a box full of batteries that needs to be thrown away and those were my observations from it.

As far as AAA batteries go - yes, those do indeed leak more often than AA and other larger batteries.
I have seen some 9V Duracell batteries that bulged so much that they were difficult to remove. They were almost 1/4" longer than a new battery.

Maybe I should switch to another brand of AAA batteries. These Duracells leak too often. The one that leaked inside the packaging must have been defective, but I have seen many Duracell (Durasmell?) AAAs leak after almost no use. I don't want the batteries in my calculator to leak.

The picture below shows the batteries I put in the CMoy amp I built about a year and a half ago. I used it for a few minutes, decided that it didn't sound very good, and put it in my junk drawer. Today, two of the batteries are leaking. They were old, but they had been unused until I tried to power the amp with them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0480small.JPG (529.6 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-14-2012, 08:05 PM   #18
Agent24
I see dead caps

City & State: Behind a soldering iron
My Country: New Zealand
Line Voltage: 230V AC 50Hz

In my experience, they will all leak eventually when given enough time (years) - The cheaper ones just leak faster.

Never leave batteries of any kind in anything if you're not using it regularly enough to notice when they go flat.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #19
Shocker
Banned

City & State: Albany, Western Australia

Is the problem that they need to put vents on batteries??? Like on caps???
Shocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 07:09 AM   #20
stevo1210
FD Civic Driver

City & State: Eastern coast
My Country: Australia
Line Voltage: 240V 50Hz
Send a message via AIM to stevo1210 Send a message via MSN to stevo1210 Send a message via Yahoo to stevo1210 Send a message via Skype™ to stevo1210

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulycat View Post

Energizers are still made in the U.S.A here though.
That's actually a reason why I buy energizers. I've had Duracells leak as well. A close friend of mine runs a business and got scammed with fake duracells at one point which leaked in the packaging on the shelves, I personally could not tell a difference between the fake and real ones.

...You're speaking to a Honda enthusiast.
stevo1210 is offline   Reply With Quote