Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > General Topics > General Computer Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2012, 04:56 PM   #61
shovenose
Super Moderator

City & State: Fairfax, California
My Country: USA
I'm a: Forum Junkie
Default Re: My Latest 8-core Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
Last time I did this, it was always sisoft sandra duels, comparing CPU benchmarks.....but that's been a good 8+ years ago... if it wasn't in person, it was posted screen shots. This was a common source of entertainment at any given LANfest. Considering this system was circa 2009 (atleast thats when the CPU's and motherboard were made), it'd be interesting to see where it came in.
Run NovaBench on it, post a screenshot. I'll do the same!
Old 04-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #62
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

downloading now.

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List

Motherboard Repair Services

If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 05:58 PM   #63
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Well,not sure how believeable this program is....its saying I have P3's, even after some patch they said it needed.....but here's the result after installing and running without a reboot. I had 2 browser windows up and outlook.

Specs....note what it says the processors are

...and the results...

From what I'm reading about this, the video card is the biggest killer of my overall score....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg specs.jpg (39.9 KB, 163 views)
File Type: jpg results.jpg (60.0 KB, 165 views)
Old 04-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #64
mariushm
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Romania
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

Sounds about right, but it's a flawed benchmark. It gives you more points simply because you have more ram and it looks like its disk benchmark tops at 109 MB/s just to name a few flaws.

here's mine for comparison.

capture_27042012_030311.pngcapture_27042012_030314.png
mariushm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #65
shovenose
Super Moderator

City & State: Fairfax, California
I'm a: Forum Junkie

I don't really trust NovaBench...
my laptop got 590, my desktop got 754...
I'm going to try this next:
http://www.passmark.com/download/pt_download.htm
OK, the results are in...
MY DESKTOP is the one with the tree background, my laptop is one with the black desktop background...
Attached Images
File Type: png benchmark.png (732.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: png laptopbenchmark.png (130.5 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by shovenose; 04-26-2012 at 06:50 PM..
shovenose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 PM   #66
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

^
While not 100% accurate by anymeans, it was a medium we could all kind of compare to. My video card is killing me!! jeez, that thing scored horrible. CPU's and RAM were ranking pretty good. Wish I had trusty old sisoft 2012....the only place I can bootleg a legit pro copy, the download is broken...
Old 04-26-2012, 10:33 PM   #67
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Just for grins, here's the benchmarks from my main rig at home:

Specs:

...and the results...

Graphics bit me in the ass again....and my older 73gb raptors aren't looking that great either. DDR3 memory speed sure kicks butt though. The CPU's I want are 6-core, but cost about 1200 each...can't afford/justify that....so the e5520's are it for now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg specs.jpg (51.4 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg results.jpg (66.7 KB, 92 views)
Old 05-17-2016, 06:28 PM   #68
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

To awaken another 4yr old thread.... This system has ran as my office machine since its creation in this thread. It's still running rock solid, no issues....but its time to freshen it up a little. There's 64GB of memory on the way, the most the board supports. I also bought a nvidia quadro NVS 510 2GB GPU, as the 9600GT is quite a relic.....and the reason I selected that, it has 4x v1.2 displayports (v1.2 supports 4k stuff for future expandability). I've been running 2x Dell 2709W's, and have come into a 3rd one. Going to try a 3 monitor setup....when I have a lot of stuff going, I find myself still needing more display real estate. I'm also cycling out the HDD's, upgrading the RAID controller, and replacing the HDD's with some 15K SAS drives. Stay tuned.
Old 05-17-2016, 06:42 PM   #69
mockingbird
Badcaps Veteran

Very nice...

Running a 771 chip myself, but found that a higher speed dual-core benefitted me greatly over the E5420. So it's got an L5240 which runs cooler and has a higher clock.

Still using a passively cooled Radeon 3450, just for the odd Counterstrike game now and again.
...Their plight, in fact is even worse, they don't realize that they're cantonists, they think they're free men. What a slavery that is - to confuse slavery for light, and bitter darkness for bright light.
-Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneersohn
mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 06:56 PM   #70
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by mockingbird View Post
Very nice...

Running a 771 chip myself, but found that a higher speed dual-core benefitted me greatly over the E5420. So it's got an L5240 which runs cooler and has a higher clock.

Still using a passively cooled Radeon 3450, just for the odd Counterstrike game now and again.
Thanks. It's still running the pair of E5472's (3GHz 1600FSB quad core). This machine has never played a game, its the office workhorse....and it definitely pulls its weight!
Old 05-18-2016, 09:27 PM   #71
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
There's 64GB of memory on the way, the most the board supports.
Gotta love your builds - throwing in GB worth of memory as if it's MB really.
I don't think I have that much total even if I added up every RAM module in all of my junky PCs and laptops (some 11 desktop PCs, 7 spare desktop motherboards, and 2 moving-size boxes full of old Pentium II/3 laptops).

Quote:
I also bought a nvidia quadro NVS 510 2GB GPU, as the 9600GT is quite a relic.....and the reason I selected that, it has 4x v1.2 displayports (v1.2 supports 4k stuff for future expandability).
As old as the 9600GT might be, it is actually still classes above the Quadro NVS 510 when it comes to raw performance - that is, gaming performance to be exact. Of course, if you don't game... then yes, a low-end modern GPU is probably a better option for you. Moreover, nVidia Quadro GPUs are meant for workstations (and especially CAD/CAM), so even more reason for you to get that, since you build.... well, workstations .

Quote:
Well, the HD3450 cards are cheap anyways... but if you care about it, you might want to put a fan on or near it. Doesn't need to move much air really. Typically, a low-current (0.1 to 0.16 Amps) 80 mm fan from a cheap PSU hooked on 5V will be absolutely silent. It won't move much air, but if you put it on or near the card, it can drop the card's temperatures by as much as 20C.
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpos...9&postcount=31

By the way, are you playing CS online? And if so, which one - 1.6, CSS, CS:GO? I imagine the 3450 won't handle that last one too well.
Hope I don't derail this thread too much with this question

Last edited by momaka; 05-18-2016 at 09:29 PM..
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:46 PM   #72
dmill89
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Harrisburg, PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by momaka View Post
Gotta love your builds - throwing in GB worth of memory as if it's MB really.
I don't think I have that much total even if I added up every RAM module in all of my junky PCs and laptops (some 11 desktop PCs, 7 spare desktop motherboards, and 2 moving-size boxes full of old Pentium II/3 laptops).
With RAM as cheap as it is today (~$30 for new 8GB sticks, even less for used), it is easy to throw in a ton of RAM even if you don't really need it. My desktop has 32GB and my Laptop 16GB (can also support 32GB if I decide to upgrade), while I really don't need more than 8GB, but with RAM as cheap as it is I figured why not.
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 10:19 PM   #73
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmill89 View Post
With RAM as cheap as it is today (~$30 for new 8GB sticks, even less for used), it is easy to throw in a ton of RAM even if you don't really need it.
I guess that just shows how outdated I've become.
It's been a few good years of being out of the hardware "loop".
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:49 PM   #74
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN

The things Topcat does to keep one step ahead of me when it comes to workstation builds

The RAID card was my idea, but my current board/CPUs (and RAM before the upgrade) is clone of what's in this thread... so in a way both of our workstation upgrades are combined efforts to one degree or another. Long live Socket 771!

(Insert witty quote here)
ratdude747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:39 AM   #75
ChaosLegionnaire
HC Overclocker

City & State: Singapore
My Country: Singapore
Line Voltage: 240VAC 50Hz

Quote:
I guess that just shows how outdated I've become.
It's been a few good years of being out of the hardware "loop".
thats okay. i dont care for "modern" and "recent" crap too. doesnt ever last long compared to the good ol' stuff anyway. i just check around occasionally to see what the kids/boys are getting these days and then laughing at the tdp and heat produced by these things and all the corner cutting.
ChaosLegionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #76
mockingbird
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
Well, the HD3450 cards are cheap anyways... but if you care about it, you might want to put a fan on or near it. Doesn't need to move much air really. Typically, a low-current (0.1 to 0.16 Amps) 80 mm fan from a cheap PSU hooked on 5V will be absolutely silent. It won't move much air, but if you put it on or near the card, it can drop the card's temperatures by as much as 20C.
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpos...9&postcount=31

By the way, are you playing CS online? And if so, which one - 1.6, CSS, CS:GO? I imagine the 3450 won't handle that last one too well.
Hope I don't derail this thread too much with this question
Yea this card is sitting in a very old Enlight case with a vacuum condition (don't remember the correct terminology, but it's when there isn't enough intake area on the case, and the fans are choked for air).

Still, that sounds like a worthwhile endeavour... Right now it's at 45C idle and doesn't climb much higher than that even under load.

Yea, it's CS 1.6.

The good games go on the quad-core gaming machine with the Radeon 7770. It's a trash-picked Vostro 420 that came with a stock Core2Quad Q9650. Got 3 771 E5450 (ten bucks a piece, local buy. Couldn't resist), might just sell the Q9650 on eBay and mod the CPU or motherboard for the Vostro. (in 775 systems, you can either dremel the chip, or cut off parts of the socket on the motherboard. Only need to mod the BIOS then to include the microcode).

The 7770 was a replacement for an XFX 4890 that had a lifetime warranty.
Old 05-19-2016, 09:42 AM   #77
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratdude747 View Post
The things Topcat does to keep one step ahead of me when it comes to workstation builds

The RAID card was my idea, but my current board/CPUs (and RAM before the upgrade) is clone of what's in this thread... so in a way both of our workstation upgrades are combined efforts to one degree or another. Long live Socket 771!
LOL...I didn't even know what that silly proprietary slot was for, and never really looked...yup, you get top billing for that one. The card I got was a new one, which came with the supermicro miniSAS cables that have the enclosure control wiring built in, which will work nifty with the SC743 chassis.

I have the fastest e-series processors that will work in this board. the 3.4GHz (X5492) is a 150w chip versus the more efficient 3GHz (E5472) which is an 80w chip. The 64GB of memory was about 100 bucks....but I'll have to give up Server 2008 STD....as its memory limit for the standard edition is 32gb...so I'll run with W7 Ultimate.
Old 05-19-2016, 12:11 PM   #78
mockingbird
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
I have the fastest e-series processors that will work in this board. the 3.4GHz (X5492) is a 150w chip versus the more efficient 3GHz (E5472) which is an 80w chip. The 64GB of memory was about 100 bucks....but I'll have to give up Server 2008 STD....as its memory limit for the standard edition is 32gb...so I'll run with W7 Ultimate.
Don't worry about the wattage ratings on the 771 Xeons... I've read that Microsoft significantly exaggerated the ratings on these chips, and the thing is more likely to pull 80W-90W at full load. The 80W-120W versions pull between 50W-80W.

Heck, even my old Pentium D was hotter than a quad core E5420.
Old 05-19-2016, 01:20 PM   #79
Topcat
The Boss Stooge

Quote:
Don't worry about the wattage ratings on the 771 Xeons... I've read that Microsoft significantly exaggerated the ratings on these chips, and the thing is more likely to pull 80W-90W at full load. The 80W-120W versions pull between 50W-80W.

Heck, even my old Pentium D was hotter than a quad core E5420.
Microsoft lie? I couldn't imagine that! /sarcasm

Thanks for the tip, I never really looked that deeply into it, but you've got me thinking now. I plan on running this machine into the ground (going to use it until its a museum piece), so I'm thinking along the lines of *might as well max it out*...
Old 05-19-2016, 07:52 PM   #80
ratdude747
Black Sheep

City & State: Madison, IN

Quote:
LOL...I didn't even know what that silly proprietary slot was for, and never really looked...yup, you get top billing for that one. The card I got was a new one, which came with the supermicro miniSAS cables that have the enclosure control wiring built in, which will work nifty with the SC743 chassis.
Yeah, I missed that point when I was shopping around for mine, which was a $40 used one. I had to order special cables anyway (since my chassis isn't hotswap) so the factory cables would have been wasted (I have a couple mini-SAS to mini-SAS cables sitting for that matter). Speaking of which, my cables came in... but I won't be home until Wednesday night (in western TN right now, work related).

Quote:
I have the fastest e-series processors that will work in this board. the 3.4GHz (X5492) is a 150w chip versus the more efficient 3GHz (E5472) which is an 80w chip.
Same here, who would have though

Quote:
The 64GB of memory was about 100 bucks....but I'll have to give up Server 2008 STD....as its memory limit for the standard edition is 32gb...so I'll run with W7 Ultimate.
If you want I can hook you up with a tested and know working SLIC BIOS (what I'm running) and matching certificate swap kit (for stock 7 images). I know you'll use that BS loader but I'd be a bad friend if I didn't offer.

7 runs like a champ on mine, you'll love it.
ratdude747 is online now   Reply With Quote