Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting > Power Supply Design and Troubleshooting
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
mockingbird
Badcaps Veteran

Send a message via AIM to mockingbird
Default Giant FSP Resistors

What are these gigantic pink resistors FSP used to use in some of their PSUs?

This one comes from an AOpen branded FSP250-60GTW.

The colors are, from top to bottom:Red (Auburn), Green, Brown, Gold.

See attachment for larger image.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_27052.jpg (337.6 KB, 9 views)
...Their plight, in fact is even worse, they don't realize that they're cantonists, they think they're free men. What a slavery that is - to confuse slavery for light, and bitter darkness for bright light.
-Rabbi Menachem Mendel Schneersohn
mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:22 PM   #2
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Leeds (University)
My Country: UK
Line Voltage: 230Vac 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Default Re: Giant FSP Resistors

From their position (secondary side) they are probably minimum load resistors, which provide a small amount of load to the power supply allowing it to start with little or no external load.

57 LED/LCD TVs, 5 monitors, 16 plasma TVs, and 2 AVR 6.1 amplifiers saved from the dump!
Totally free service manuals database: http://www.toms-service-manuals.com/ (Contact me for requests or contributions.)

I have successfully fixed (from best --> worst build quality):
7 Panasonic LCD/Plasmas, 1 NEC Plasma, 2 Yamaha HTS, 4 Sharp LCDs, 4 Toshiba LCDs, 5 Philips Plasma/LCD, 1 Hitachi Plasma, 7 LG LCD/Plasma, 13 Samsung LED/LCD/Plasma, 1 Thomson Plasma, 1 Atec LCD, 1 Hanspree LCD, 1 Xerox LCD, 1 Harwa LCD, 2 Proview LCD, 2 Hyundai LCD, 1 "Onn" LCD, 1 Grundig LCD, 1 Dell LCD, 1 iiyama LCD, 1 Acer LED, 1 Logik LCD, 6 Bush LCDs, 15 Vestel LCDs
tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
mockingbird
Badcaps Veteran

I have another one where some of the thin ceramic has chipped off exposing metal underneath... Is there something of higher quality I can replace these with?
Old 04-24-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
mariushm
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Romania
Line Voltage: 230VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech

That resistor seems to be a 250 ohm one based on the colors you say, probably 5-10w based on the size.

As it's already said, it's there to provide a minimum load for the power supply, it helps it stabilize the voltages when very little is attached to it, or when in standby for example, when only the 5VSB is used.

There are various packages, for example wirewound resistors in ceramic package (acting as a heatsink) :

or thick film resistors that look like this:

(but these would be bad for you as the wires are much closer in the fsp power supply)

You can find them on Digikey easily.
mariushm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:34 PM   #5
PeteS in CA
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: San Jose, CA
My Country: USA, Unsure of Planet
Line Voltage: 120VAC, 60Hz & 115VAC, 400Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

I'm going to guess that the first color is actually brown, which would make it 150 ohms, a standard 5% value (220, 240 and 270 are standard values, but not 250). Actually, the more I think about it, I wonder if the third band (multiplier) might be black, a 15 ohm resistor (or even red-black-gold-gold, a 2 ohm part). I'm going to guess that it is metal oxide film, 5W; I could be wrong, but I don't think that technology/package goes up to 7W or 10W.

Love those vertical-mount bathtub types mariushm had in his post! Good PCB real estate efficiency, nice cooling air profile. They can be found in 2W, 3W, 5W, 7W and 10W, wire-wound for lower values, and metal oxide film for higher values. Cheaper ones are wire-wound (or film) on a fiber glass core; better ones have a ceramic core. The other ones are in the TO-220 package and need a heatsink to be able to dissipate their rated power.

Where might is right
There is no right.
- Sophocles in "Antigone"
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
- J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
To kill personal responsibility, initiative or success, punish it by taxing it. To encourage irresponsibility, improvidence, dependence and failure, reward it by subsidizing it.
PeteS in CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
mockingbird
Badcaps Veteran

Quote:
(or even red-black-gold-gold, a 2 ohm part)
I think this is the closest. It hink it's supposed to be brown black gold gold the more I look at it. This would make it a 1 Ohm Resistor. Does this make any sense? Maybe it's just big because of a high watt rating?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:41 AM   #7
tom66
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Leeds (University)
My Country: UK
Line Voltage: 230Vac 50Hz

Why not lift one leg and test it?
tom66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #8
momaka
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: VA
My Country: U.S.A.
Line Voltage: 120 VAC, 60 Hz

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom66
Why not lift one leg and test it?
+1

I regularly replace those minimum load resistors if they dissipate more than 0.5W of power - it's just a waste of power, hurts the overall efficiency, and cooks nearby caps if there are any. If the resistors had low values, generally I try to use 33 to 50 Ohms for 3.3V rail, 50 to 100 Ohms for 5V rail and 5vsb, and 330 Ohms or more for 12V and -12V rails, all 1W parts minimum (or at least 2x the power they will be disippating).

If a power supply has such huge load resistors, then the designer must have been too lazy to design a proper control loop. Most reputable power supplies have very small load resistors, and they are usually of high resistance too so they don't waste power.
momaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
PeteS in CA
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: San Jose, CA
My Country: USA, Unsure of Planet
Line Voltage: 120VAC, 60Hz & 115VAC, 400Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech

I thought of 1 ohm as a possibility, but on a 3.3V O/P that would be throwing away 10W, a big waste of power, putting a lot of heat near lytic caps, and if they are using a 10W part to dissipate 10W, that is beyond !
PeteS in CA is offline   Reply With Quote