Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting > General Electronics Technical Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2012, 09:46 PM   #21
diebog

City & State: California
My Country: USA
I'm a: Knowledge Seeker
Default Re: Need your help Identifying these capacitors/resistors

Just to try it out I went to Radio Shack and all they had was some 0.1 up ceramic dick capacitors 50WVC maximum Like I mentioned before I am a novice and still don't understand all the differences between Tantalum, Aluminum, Electrolytic, Polymer ect. They had some Polymer 22uf but were 35v. How do you check SMD capacitors? I took some off that SRS ECU that I had laying around and put an ohm meter to them and they all showed nothing. I think I read somewhere that a capacitance meter is what I need. I bought that one from Radio Shack but haven't got a chance to play with it. So is it not a good idea to use these identical reddish/brown smd's that I took off SRS ECU?
diebog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:22 PM   #22
budm
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: S.F. Bay area
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz

You need cap meter to read capacitance, you use Ohm meter to find out if it has leakage resistance, good cap will show on Ohm meter as an open circuits. You may be able to but we need to find out the value of the cap. At this point we are just assuming the values of the missing caps. You can use higher voltage cap, but the higher the voltage the bigger the body of the cap will be.

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809
budm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 AM   #23
diebog

Its ok if the body is bigger, there is plenty of room to attach it. So will the ceramic 0.1 50v work for the brown one? or should I just use the one I took of SRS ECU? And will the polymer 22uf work? or does it have to be Tantalum?
Old 04-17-2012, 01:36 AM   #24
diebog

When I ordered from Digikey I got extras of these Electrolyte Caps ............ 1uf50v......47uf50v.......47uf16v....47uf50......1 00uf25v....22uf50v.....4.7uf50v
Will any of these work? Id rather use these because they are far superior to the RS ones in my opinion. These are all aluminum 20% radial
Old 04-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #25
selldoor
Slow Learner

City & State: Lancashire UK

OK just to see if it works at all.
If the ceramic caps on your SRS board are the same physical size as the one you replace it should be ok - the colour may be just due to burning or staining they are not colour coded. ( Size is often all we have to work with when replacing smd caps as they
are usually unmarked).
Budm has already said you could try a 22uf 50v cap in place of the black cap. You will
need to have the correct polarity.

Capacitors are not always critical and I think that may be why budm asked if the board
worked without them in post #20
selldoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #26
diebog

Sorry, I forgot he asked that. The answer is no, I replaced it back in 06 because all my research had lead me to the "bad capacitors". So i bought a rebuild ECU and it didnt fix the problem. The If anything it added more to the equation. Before I had a flat spot/chugging action at about 1/4 throttle but cleared up after you punched it. Now it wont run at all and is over fueling. Fuel injectors stay on constantly while cranking. Mechanic traced everything back to an open ground somewhere in ECU. So that's where im at currently. I did some digging on capacitor types and if I understand correctly any cap will work as long as values are the same. SMD Tantalum are smaller in size but can have the same uf as an Electrolyte. Ceramic you get better results with is what another source said.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:02 PM   #27
diebog

So I tried that and stuck it in the car and it seems it didn't work. Car is still over fueling while cranking over. It tries to start but just cant seem to stay running. Maybe its getting flooded? Or a entire different problem. Im at my wits end rite now. What to do next.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:10 AM   #28
selldoor
Slow Learner

Is this a standard petrol engine car with spark plugs? Have you tried cranking it with
the plugs out but connected and grounded to see if they spark. Could just be a timing
problem.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:14 PM   #29
diebog

yes I have tried that. I believe the injectors are just wide open when cranking. I got a manual off the net and mi going to try to trace some of the circuits that control injectors. Maybe ill get lucky and find something. But have very little confidence that I will . Still if anyone out there that has access to a usable ECU or if someone could ship me a know working one and i could try it so i would no for sure that I need an ECU
Old 04-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #30
selldoor
Slow Learner

I dont know a lot about cars - even less than electronics -car repairing days preceeded
ECUs. I think you may need to change forums if this is a collectors car there should be plenty of enthusiasts out there that can help.

Did you see this ,does your car have one and is it working?

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_do_you...Relay_MD113566

You could ask a similar question "How_do_you_troubleshoot_Mitsubishi 3000gt ECO Part numberxxxxxxxx"

I assume you have a car manual there is one here
http://www.downloadprovider.me/searc...0&aff.subid=20
but you have to sign up to get it.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #31
diebog

ha i asked this in US3S but it doesnt seem to get many views or people are just too busy . And i dint think i put it in the right forum to start with. OOOPs
Old 04-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #32
Amraks
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Tasmania, Northwest
My Country: Australia

Have you checked your airflow meter,
Air leaks, crank angle sensor, fuel pump?

My Subaru Liberty does this its really sluggish and feels like you boost backwards instead of forwards.

I also have a car I'm working on and I suspect air leaks some where or its dodged wires on the ecu i need to re-pin on the wiring harness. its got a dead spot and lacks power should be boosting not dying, the thing is turbo.
Amraks is offline   Reply With Quote