Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Battling the Bad Capacitors > General Capacitor Questions & Issues
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
EIBM
MBZ > KZG
 
EIBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
City & State: AB
My Country: Canada
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 18
Default Relative Farad ratings and polymer caps

I have two simple questions.
#1
Is it alright to overshoot the farad ratings on a cap a bit? And if so, by how much?
For example, replacing a chemicon 3300F 16v (ugh), with a 4700F 16v rubycon.

#2
Would I be able [instead] to replace the same said chemicon 3300F, with a polymer cap; in which I'd use a 1800uF polymer due to the lower ESR rating?
-->I'm guessing you'd divide the electrolytic's 3300F by two, giving you 1650F, which the polymer's 1800F being the closest.
Thanks!
EIBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
mcdaydavies
Member
 
mcdaydavies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
City & State: Wales
My Country: United Kingdom
Line Voltage: 240VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 72
Default Re: Relative Farad ratings and polymer caps

1: Depends what device your replacing it in. If its a PSU, you might get away with it.
2: Your better just off replacing it with an electrolytic, Polymers can be hit or miss whether they will work right in the application you're using them for.
What series are the chemicon capacitors? Chemicon are usually reliable capacitors, unless the are KZG/KZJ.
mcdaydavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
EIBM
MBZ > KZG
 
EIBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
City & State: AB
My Country: Canada
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 18
Default Re: Relative Farad ratings and polymer caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdaydavies View Post
1: Depends what device your replacing it in. If its a PSU, you might get away with it.
2: Your better just off replacing it with an electrolytic, Polymers can be hit or miss whether they will work right in the application you're using them for.
What series are the chemicon capacitors? Chemicon are usually reliable capacitors, unless the are KZG/KZJ.
I'm doing this for a motherboard, so, I'd assume I would have to match the farad ratings judging from your response. From my understanding, it shouldn't matter if I go over the voltage rating though? As a higher voltage means it'll smooth the signal out better.

Yep, you guessed it, it's a KZG.
IBM made this awesome systemboard, most of the caps are actually already polymer ones, especially near the CPU (and other important parts of the board), but they stuck this lone 3300uF KZG chemicon right in front of the massive P4 heatsink!
It already opened a tiny bit to release the pressure it built up. Luckily doing so quietly. But regardless, I want to replace it, and all of the other electrolytic ones.
EIBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
mcdaydavies
Member
 
mcdaydavies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
City & State: Wales
My Country: United Kingdom
Line Voltage: 240VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 72
Default Re: Relative Farad ratings and polymer caps

The higher voltage cap wont smooth out the signal better, but it wont do any harm either, as long as they can fit.
On a motherboard, you should replace all the caps with the same farad rating.
Rubycon MBZ would be a suitable replacement.
All the KZG have to go, but it is not necessary to replace all the electrolytics, as long as they are decent caps. What are the brands of the other electrolytics?
A poly mod is unnecessary, but if you are going to, you generally half the farad rating, although the polys may not work properly. Its hit or miss.
mcdaydavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #5
EIBM
MBZ > KZG
 
EIBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
City & State: AB
My Country: Canada
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 18
Default Re: Relative Farad ratings and polymer caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdaydavies View Post
The higher voltage cap wont smooth out the signal better, but it wont do any harm either, as long as they can fit.
On a motherboard, you should replace all the caps with the same farad rating.
Rubycon MBZ would be a suitable replacement.
All the KZG have to go, but it is not necessary to replace all the electrolytics, as long as they are decent caps. What are the brands of the other electrolytics?
A poly mod is unnecessary, but if you are going to, you generally half the farad rating, although the polys may not work properly. Its hit or miss.
The other [electrolytic] caps are nichicons, it's not a cheap board. But I would still like to replace them with rubycons if it's not too difficult.

Here's a photo:

You can see the tall KZG in front of the CMOS battery (sticks out like a sore thumb), the polymer caps near the CPU, and some random polymer sanyos, like one above the PCI-e x16 slot, above the SCSI card, etc.
EIBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 AM   #6
mcdaydavies
Member
 
mcdaydavies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
City & State: Wales
My Country: United Kingdom
Line Voltage: 240VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 72
Default Re: Relative Farad ratings and polymer caps

Yep, all the KZG's must go. All the polymers can stay. Nichicon are generally good as long as they are made after 2005. Judging by the photo, the critical areas all have polys, whereas the non so critical areas have electrolytics. I would not bother replacing the nichicons, just the KZG's. You can if you want, but it is unnecessary.
Panasonic FM/FR, Nichicon HM/HN/HZ, Rubycon MBZ/MCZ are all suitable replacements.
mcdaydavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #7
EIBM
MBZ > KZG
 
EIBM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
City & State: AB
My Country: Canada
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 18
Default Re: Relative Farad ratings and polymer caps

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdaydavies View Post
Yep, all the KZG's must go. All the polymers can stay. Nichicon are generally good as long as they are made after 2005. Judging by the photo, the critical areas all have polys, whereas the non so critical areas have electrolytics. I would not bother replacing the nichicons, just the KZG's. You can if you want, but it is unnecessary.
Panasonic FM/FR, Nichicon HM/HN/HZ, Rubycon MBZ/MCZ are all suitable replacements.
I don't think the HM nichicon caps in there are bad, but it is a 2005 computer. None of them have puffed out and leaked.

Due to its age, the KZGs, & the potential of bad nichicons, all the electrolytics should be replaced to be safe. It'll still be in service for a very long while, too.

Thanks for the help! I'll go with rubycon and panasonic.
EIBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
mcdaydavies
Member
 
mcdaydavies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
City & State: Wales
My Country: United Kingdom
Line Voltage: 240VAC 50Hz
I'm a: Student Tech
Posts: 72
Default Re: Relative Farad ratings and polymer caps

I'm glad to be of help! Let us know how it worked out!
mcdaydavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:07 AM.


Badcaps.net Technical Forums 2003 - 2014
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Did you find this forum helpful?