Soyo SY-P4I875P Dragon 2 - cap questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Soyo SY-P4I875P Dragon 2 - cap questions

What a great site - I stumbled on it looking for caps.

I have a Soyo SY-P4I875P Dragon 2 mobo that won't post and has 2 buldging caps beside the AGP slot. This board has SACON crapacitors and is of approximately 2003-2004 vintage. I have a few questions before I proceed with a recap of this board.

First, the problem may not have originated with the caps. The computer locked up one night and on reboot it failed to get beyond the initial diagnostics post screen, specifically it locked at the BIOS reflash entry prompt. Subsequent power cycles failed to post. On inspection (boy, should have done that sooner) the graphics card was toast (the fans were hanging out and the decorative plastic over the heatsink was heat warped) and two caps were buldging. The PSU was also fried. So, theoretically of course, did the caps cause the problem or did they result from the problem? And also, will a recap help or has to much damage been done? What other parts would be suspect?

Second, if I do recap the board, I have some questions about the original cap specs. There are 3 values of caps above 500 μF that I would like to replace. One of the values has two different part numbers. Here's what I have (all SACON):

(7 pcs) 2200μF 6.3v 105˚C SZ306
    (14 pcs) 1000μF 10v 105˚C SZ310
    (3 pcs) 1500μF 16v 105˚C SZ310
    (4 pcs) 1500μF 16v 105˚C SZ306

I can't get to SACON's spec sheets for the SZ series caps. If someone could post a link - that would answer a lot of my questions. What is the difference between the specs of the SZ306 and the SZ310 parts (particularly with the 1500μFs).

The next biggest value caps on the board are 470μF 16v. Do these need to be replaced? If so they come in at least three flavors, SZ211, SZ309 and SZ306. What are the specs for those part numbers?

Sorry for the large number of questions but I can't locate the info in my searches. If additional information is needed - please ask.

Thanks!

Re: Soyo SY-P4I875P Dragon 2 - cap questions

Sacon has become Evercon

[The number after SZ is only a date code. It doesn't matter in finding replacements.]

These are from the Sacon/Evercon SZ series chart.

2200/6.3v
    -10x20mm - 2550/.014
    -10x25mm - 2700/.013

1500/16v
    -10x20mm - 2550/.014
    -10x25mm - 2800/.012

1000/10v
    -8x14mm - 1050/.045
    -10x12.5mm - 1540/.026

Watch the can size (mm)x(mm) when you look up the OST's too.
    -
    Some Soyo boards have OST's were the uF/volts on the cap do not match the physical size of the can shown in the current charts. [Within a series the can size is more important to ESR than the uF or volts value.]
    -
    I'm not sure if OST changed the series properties or if Soyo was using counterfeit OST caps.

The Sacon (and OST and G-Luxon) on some of the Soyo boards I've looked at have this unusual (um?) situation? condition? (I have seen this same thing on four different Soyo boards from P-3 Tualatin through i865 chipset.)
    -
    I you look at them closely it looks like the vent is stamped -after- the sleeve is installed on the can.
    -
    The edge of the sleeve is pressed into the vent stamp mark. [This is very strange.]
    -
    I have not seen this on other brands of caps and I haven't seen it in these brands except on Soyo motherboards.
    -
    Anything else I've looked at it's obvious the vent is stamped first and the sleeve installed later because the stamp mark runs under the edge of the sleeve and the sleeve is not pressed into the pattern.

The interesting thing is I only see this in Soyo boards and those boards all of OST, Sacon, and G-Luxon are affected.
    - This suggests to be that despite the branding on those caps they all came out of the same factory.

-
    In replacing:
    The can size matters WAY more to ESR/Ripple than either the uF or volts.
    The can size has priority. (Within a series of caps that is.)
    -
    So, when you look up a uF/volt value check that the can size in the chart matches the can size on the board.
    -
    If it doesn't match then find (in the chart) a can size that matches the can size of the cap on the board (and that is somewhat close on uF/volts). Use the ESR/Ripple values from that exact can in choosing your replacements.

-
    All of that said. Soyo boards are pretty solid once you replace ALL the caps.
    On Soyo boards if it has a vent -> replace it.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
    -
    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
    -

Comment

Thanks for the rapid response. I finally got to the SACON SZ size chart (after acroread installed the chinese character set it needed) so this is what I have (with vents) that needs to be replaced:

Qty__Value___Volts__Size___ESR___Ripple
      10___470uF___16v___8x12__0.06___850
      14__1000uF___10v___8x14__0.045__1050
      7___1500uF___16v__10x25__0.012__2800
      7___2200uF___6.3v__10x25__0.013__2700

The physical parts on the board do match the chart sizes. And they do have the vents stamped into the sleeves as you mentioned.

I'm not exactly sure what Rubicons Topcat has that will match - the Rubicon charts I have list sizes that differ from what he stocks. I've asked for a custom kit quote and hopefully will hear back soon.

Comment

Ruby MCZ are the appropriate replacement for the 2200/6.3v and 1500/16v.
        Samxon GC would also fine.

The other two sizes aren't anything hard to match/beat.
        Nichicon HE, Chemicon KY, and Ruby YXG or YXH would all be adequate replacements for those.

Mann-Made Global Warming.
        - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
        -
        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
        -

Comment

hello, figured this thread was ready for hijacking because its 5 years old..
          i also have the same board, Soyo Dragon SY-p4I875 Dragon2

the entire row of caps next to the cpu heatsink were buldging, so i replaced all those 11 and the 4 between those and the I/O shield, but i didnt replace any of the others on the board, the 49 or so others i didnt replace. i used Nichicon HM (M) 105c caps.
          i didnt read the spec sheet or really know if those caps were suitable replacements or not.
          anyways it seems im still having problems with the motherboard, sometimes it wont post, and i simply have to unplug it, and plug it back in, i swapped psu's already so its not that. i want to finish recaping this board, but i want to try and keep price minimum, as this board is dated, i simply want to preserve this board because its special to me.

any particular series i should stick with as much as possible?

Comment

Originally posted by aidynphoenix View Post
            i didnt read the spec sheet or really know if those caps were suitable replacements or not.
            I know its a month ago but you might still get an answer. Can we assume you used the same voltage and capacitance for the replacements. We do like pictures on this site- if you were to post clear pictures of your motherboard
            it might help. What make/series were the caps you replaced.
            Please upload pictures using attachment function when ask for help on the repair
            http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=39740

Comment

I have that same board in storage, same problem, those wierd-shaped-vent caps are all bloated
              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Working...
              X