Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Motherboards with Bad Capacitors > Major Manufacturers Boards
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #21
seanc
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,228
Default Re: Dell 745.....Here we go again!

I have one of these now, which had failed caps under the HDD caddy.
All of the 2200uf, 1800uf, 1500uf, 820uf and small 220uf caps have been done bar a couple of tiny 100uf or less caps and the odd 120uf Sanyo caps.

If I plug the machine in for the first time, the internal orange light flashes on, then goes out - like it has detected a short. It won't power on.
Unplugging the PSU and trying it again, it works fine and the machine operates normally.

2 different PSUs tried, which work fine on an SX280.

Tested with the board removed from the tray with all items removed (CPU, RAM etc), same symptoms.

Anyone seen this?
seanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:52 PM   #22
PCBONEZ
Grumpy Old Fart
 
PCBONEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
City & State: Phoenix, AZ
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 10,631
Default Re: Dell 745.....Here we go again!

Yes. - On 620's I think it was. [Some older Dell based thread anyway.]
Area near the drive is a low air flow hot spot.
Even the small caps go bad there.
.
Also happens sometimes when the small caps are 85C.
.
__________________
Mann-Made Global Warming.
- We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
-
You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
-
PCBONEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:11 PM   #23
BilyC333
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 8
Default Re: Dell 745.....Here we go again!

Just had a dell 745 go down at work... bad Rubycon caps under the HD caddy
BilyC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:24 PM   #24
Topcat
The Boss Stooge
 
Topcat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
City & State: Salem, MO
My Country: United States
Line Voltage: 120VAC 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 8,041
Send a message via ICQ to Topcat Send a message via AIM to Topcat
Default Re: Dell 745.....Here we go again!

The 745 USFF's have a small fan under there too....doesn't seem to help, I see boxes and boxes full of these boards, all with bad MCZ and/or KZJ's. Dell stopped using the 85* nichicon's (I think they were VR series, but don't hold me to that) around the NB chip (220@16v were the values), and finally went with 105*, usually rubycons or pannies. Havent seen one bad since.
__________________
<--- Badcaps.net Owner & Forum Administrator!!

Badcaps.net Services:

Premade Capacitor Kits
Badcaps.net Capacitor Master List


Motherboard Repair Services


If you've come here in search of replacement capacitors or repair services, please use the links above.
----------------------------------------------
Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
http://folding.stanford.edu/
Team : 49813
Join in!!
Team Stats
Topcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #25
seanc
Badcaps Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
City & State: Cambridge, UK
Posts: 1,228
Default Re: Dell 745.....Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCBONEZ View Post
Yes. - On 620's I think it was. [Some older Dell based thread anyway.]
Area near the drive is a low air flow hot spot.
Even the small caps go bad there.
.
Also happens sometimes when the small caps are 85C.
.
Done those now, same issue

No 85˚c caps on this, all 105˚c.
I guess I should stick Windows on it and see what happens, it'll soon BSOD if it's not well.

Connect PSU brief 'flash' of orange standby light.
Disconnect and re-connect PSU - orange standby light lit and the machine will do it's self test and power on fine.
seanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:18 PM   #26
PCBONEZ
Grumpy Old Fart
 
PCBONEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
City & State: Phoenix, AZ
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 10,631
Default Re: Dell 745.....Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topcat View Post
The 745 USFF's have a small fan under there too....doesn't seem to help, I see boxes and boxes full of these boards, all with bad MCZ and/or KZJ's. Dell stopped using the 85* nichicon's (I think they were VR series, but don't hold me to that) around the NB chip (220@16v were the values), and finally went with 105*, usually rubycons or pannies. Havent seen one bad since.
Usually Nichicon VR. - Sometimes they were more creative.

They've been bouncing back and forth between 85C and 105C for the small caps at least since P-III.
You can have two otherwise identical boards but one has the 85C and the other 105C.
.
Maybe they've finally figured it out but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see 85C showing up again.

...
Intel has gone China on us.
Some of their newer non-server boards are showing up with Lelon all over.
.
Pic is a DH55HC board which only has a few. [H55 chipset]
Been seeing Lelons on Intel boards from the H55 at least back to the 31 series chipsets.
I don't mean OEM boards either. Talking retail models.
Some boards have LOTS of them.
.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lelon.jpg (198.7 KB, 59 views)

Last edited by PCBONEZ; 08-15-2011 at 03:54 PM..
PCBONEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:48 AM   #27
Old Thrashbarg
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
City & State: Central FL
Posts: 20
Default Re: Dell 745.....Here we go again!

I had a 745 come in a couple weeks ago, with four bad 2200uf/6.3v caps near the northbridge. That's not particularly unusual in and of itself, except that this particular machine was a tower. All the other 745s I'd worked on had been SFF machines, but apparently the larger ones aren't safe either.
Old Thrashbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2011, 10:56 PM   #28
PCBONEZ
Grumpy Old Fart
 
PCBONEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
City & State: Phoenix, AZ
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 10,631
Default Re: Dell 745.....Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleyjames222 View Post
Any one plz help me
You haven't given enough information to work with.

What is the error message?

Have you visually inspected the motherboard and power supply?

Any beeps?

Have you tried a different power supply?

Have you re-seated the RAM?

Are all the fans working? [That includes the PSU and CPU fans too.]

.

.
PCBONEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:16 AM   #29
patters
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
City & State: London
I'm a: Complete Noob!
Posts: 1
Default Re: Dell 745.....Here we go again!

Where I work we have 120 OptiPlex GX620 machines (mercifully almost all have been ok for 5 years), but of the 10 or so OptiPlex 745 workstations, 5 have now died with bad caps on the motherboard. The symptoms were hard lockups showing a full screen of the same colour (e.g. orange, white, green, grey). We use onboard gfx. Three failed in warranty, and now another two. Dell are refusing to support them as they're not on their list of bad cap machines. They were bought in May 2007, so they would be inside a discretionary 5 year warranty as mentioned here:
http://en.community.dell.com/dell-bl...tor-issue.aspx

On some of the failed machines all the caps near the gfx card slot are domed, on others just two of them. When the service guy came to swap motherboards on the ones that were repaired he said he had seen hundreds. Conveniently Dell "have no records" of my previous Support Requests being capacitor-related, even though obviously those third party service contractors must write up the cases.

It seems to be a well known issue:
http://www.ccl-la.com/blog/index.php...ex-745-repair/

Last edited by patters; 02-21-2012 at 10:22 AM..
patters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #30
smason
Badcaps Veteran
 
smason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
City & State: Alberta
My Country: Canada
Line Voltage: 120VAC 61Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Posts: 1,589
Default Re: Dell 745.....Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Thrashbarg View Post
I had a 745 come in a couple weeks ago, with four bad 2200uf/6.3v caps near the northbridge. That's not particularly unusual in and of itself, except that this particular machine was a tower. All the other 745s I'd worked on had been SFF machines, but apparently the larger ones aren't safe either.
I've got 10 or 12 full-size 745s still in service, they've all bee rock-solid.
Ok, one bad video card.... but motheboards and power supplies have been fine.
__________________
36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....
smason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 12:47 PM   #31
PCBONEZ
Grumpy Old Fart
 
PCBONEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
City & State: Phoenix, AZ
My Country: USA
Line Voltage: 120V 60Hz
I'm a: Professional Tech
Posts: 10,631
Default Re: Dell 745.....Here we go again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by patters View Post
Where I work we have 120 OptiPlex GX620 machines (mercifully almost all have been ok for 5 years), but of the 10 or so OptiPlex 745 workstations, 5 have now died with bad caps on the motherboard. The symptoms were hard lockups showing a full screen of the same colour (e.g. orange, white, green, grey). We use onboard gfx. Three failed in warranty, and now another two. Dell are refusing to support them as they're not on their list of bad cap machines. They were bought in May 2007, so they would be inside a discretionary 5 year warranty as mentioned here:
http://en.community.dell.com/dell-bl...tor-issue.aspx

On some of the failed machines all the caps near the gfx card slot are domed, on others just two of them. When the service guy came to swap motherboards on the ones that were repaired he said he had seen hundreds. Conveniently Dell "have no records" of my previous Support Requests being capacitor-related, even though obviously those third party service contractors must write up the cases.

It seems to be a well known issue:
http://www.ccl-la.com/blog/index.php...ex-745-repair/
That warranty extension was specifically to cover a run of defective Nichicon HM and HN series caps.
That was over with before GX620 went into production.
[The defective caps were flushed out of the supply channels by Nichicon World Wide in 2004.]
The GX280 was still in production.
Early production GX280 were the last (Dell) machines affected.
-
What you probably have is the common heat issue with the Dell small case machines.
Those cases don't have adequate cooling. - They never have.
.
PCBONEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:54 PM.


Badcaps.net Technical Forums 2003 - 2014
Powered by vBulletin ®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Did you find this forum helpful?