Badcaps.net Forum
Go Back   Badcaps Forums > Electronics Theory and Troubleshooting > Equipment Usage, Soldering, Techniques, and Reviews
Register FAQ Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #1
smason
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Alberta
My Country: Canada
Line Voltage: 120VAC 61Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Calibrating my Hakko

My Hakko 936 was being flakey, so I replaced the element/sensor with one from Ebay. Works great now. I was wondering how to properly calibrate it. I read a thread here that said ballpark it based on the melting point of solder.
Sounds reasonable and probably good enough, but I'm usually not satisfied with "good enough"

I was looking into devices that would measure temps that high, and thought about getting a Fluke probe, but decided against it.

Today whilst rummaging in my desk drawer at work, I spotted the temperature probe that came with my el-cheapo "don't care if it gets borrowed stolen or fried" DMM that I use at work. Interesting, the probe has obvious high-temp insulation over the wire. So I thought, hmmm.. what if?
So I fired up my Weller pyropen iron, and tried it. Went up to 400C without self-destructing, then back to fairly accurate room temp afterwards, so I'll be trying calibration tonight.
smason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:33 PM   #2
Krankshaft
Super Moderator

City & State: New Jersey, USA
Default Re: Calibrating my Hakko

First off a Chinamart heating element is most likely a wire wound resistor OEM Hakko elements are printed ceramic which are much easier to regulate.

Hakko makes a special tool for tip calibration. It's called the Hakko FG100-01 and has replacement elements.

If the temp probe you have doesn't melt then the next thing to ask would be what it's accuracy is the Hakko instrument I have is accurate to + or - 1 C.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
smason
Badcaps Veteran

City & State: Alberta
My Country: Canada
Line Voltage: 120VAC 61Hz
I'm a: Hobbyist Tech
Default Re: Calibrating my Hakko

The replacement element was a genuine Hakko part, in a Hakko package from what appears to be a reputable shop in MO. Looks, feels and smells like the one I removed.

I doubt the temp probe is hugely accurate, but having ballparked the calibration, I checked it at 300c and the probe read 302, so close enough for me.
smason is offline   Reply With Quote