ESR meter - recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESR meter - recommendations?

I could use some help deciding which ESR meter to purchase. I need one that I can use in circuit..

I see three candidates that are good, trying to figure out which one to purchase.

Atlas ESR70
    Blue by Bob Parker
    ESR Micro by RusMike

From what I have read in this forum, everyone seemed to be happy with their meter. Maybe it does not matter which one I go with?

thanks

Re: ESR meter - recommendations?

Look for the same info!

Comment

I'm not familiar with the Atlas, though I do have their semiconductor tester, and it's great.

You can't go wrong with either of the others. I quite like the Russian one myself.
      36 Monitors, 3 TVs, 4 Laptops, 1 motherboard, 1 Printer, 1 iMac, 2 hard drive docks and one IP Phone repaired so far....

Comment

The only way to get an accurate ESR reading of a cap is out of circuit. The reason why is if there are other caps, such as in a SMPS, it will try to read all the caps in that section.

I have the Bob Parker Blue (the kit model), took me an hour to assemble and calibrate. I opted not to enable the battery-level/auto shutdown feature.
        Stupidity should be a crime, especially for drivers. I have NO patience for them.

Comment

I made the Blue esr a couple months ago. I left out the resistor for auto-turn off also. I did add some jacks as I like to use different leads , hooks, probes, clamps.
          Attached Files

Comment

Thumbs up for ESR Micro 3.1 here.

Mine needed 10 days to arrive in the mail. I asked for mine without the case - it was the cheapest option at 50 USD.

I'm having a blast with it!

Vincent

Comment

Originally posted by doanh View Post
              I could use some help deciding which ESR meter to purchase. I need one that I can use in circuit..

I see three candidates that are good, trying to figure out which one to purchase.

Atlas ESR70
              Blue by Bob Parker
              ESR Micro by RusMike

From what I have read in this forum, everyone seemed to be happy with their meter. Maybe it does not matter which one I go with?

thanks
              I have the ESR Micro V4 by Ruskmike. I remember when i bought mine having the same problem on choosing as you.

Kind Regards
              bp1

Comment

I love my Atlas ESR70, it works like a charm...

Comment

One of the best places I have found for ESR testers is on the Radio forums, we just picked up a digital and an analog this week for about $35, but everyone has their favorite places to hunt for test equipment, just throwing it out there.

Comment

http://members.shaw.ca/swstuff/esrmeter.html is cheap and easy to build. Can't speak for its accuracy, but the one I built has found some bad caps that didn't look bad.

Comment

unfortunately, the ESR Micro (the russian one) isn't available anymore. supplier seems to have pulled the plug on a few components needed for it.
                      and the message on his website (production temporarily stopped) has been there for months

Comment

Originally posted by Scenic View Post
                        unfortunately, the ESR Micro (the russian one) isn't available anymore. supplier seems to have pulled the plug on a few components needed for it.
                        and the message on his website (production temporarily stopped) has been there for months
                        That message has been there since long before i ordered mine wich is 6 or more months ago (got it in 10 days or so). Tbh i think hes just lazy updating the english translation of the page. This is the google translate of the russian page.

"Attention!
                        Due to the delay by our suppliers supply parts and equipment will be sent with a delay (probably 3-4 weeks).
                        We hope for your understanding.
                        After sending the devices you will be notified by email."

If you really want the ESR Micro i would say throw him an email and just ask him, hes very friendly to talk to.

Comment

Anyone know the differences between the 3 ESR meters ?
                          I am most interested in the ESR micro 4 and the atlas ESR70+

Comment

I first bought the EVB ESR meter, which is fine for straight ESR testing. However, I found that having to switch meter to test for capacitance was a little to annoying. So, when the ESR micro 4 came out, I ordered it. One feature I have found very useful with the ESR micro 4, is the test pad on the right side of the meter. When testing capacitors and resistors out of circuit, one can just touch the pad, and get a reading without fiddling with the probes. It's just so much faster.

There has been several discussions on the ESR meters here, and I can't remember see anybody talk bad about a meter they actually own them self. So, I think you just need to look up the features you want, and maybe the price that suits you best.
                            ------------
                            Be a mensch

Comment

This gives comparison of 6 esr meters. http://www.anatekcorp.com/esr_compare.htm

Comment

I read that comparison but it did not include RussMike..

I will check the radio forum to see what comes up. I can send RussMike an email too.

Thanks everybody..

Comment

can you tell me which radio forum?

thanks

Originally posted by Sixmark View Post
                                  One of the best places I have found for ESR testers is on the Radio forums, we just picked up a digital and an analog this week for about $35, but everyone has their favorite places to hunt for test equipment, just throwing it out there.

Comment

i juste got a nice kit in the mail today! From peak with 3 nice testers!

Comment

can you provide a link? there testers? what are they?

Comment

i have those 3 tester i dont know how to use them yet!! i wanted an esr meter and my boss got this big kit and i willlearn to use it!

http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_dca55.html
                                        http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_lcr40.html
                                        http://www.peakelec.co.uk/acatalog/jz_esr70.html

the esr70 have auto testing no need to press test. it test esr very fast and have audio feedback. it test capacitance out of circuit and discharge capacitor of to 50V and if its more then this tell you to discharge it!

Comment

Working...
                                        X