Asus K8N with no post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asus K8N with no post

I tried to replace some of the swollen one's and still no-post! Green light is on, fan will turn on, tried to boot with a new PSU!!
    Most of the caps on this motherboard is KZG, just realized even the new one's I replaced was KZG...
    should I replace all cap with other brands? Or will there be more bad caps on this board that is not leak or swollen but bad?
    Thanks!!

Attached Files

Re: Asus K8N with no post

Replace all of thre KZGs. They often fail without showing it. If the baord still won't POST, can it. ASUS are known for just dying with no obvious signs or causes.
    I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I hope you tried to boot with RAM installed. And I hope you paid attention to the polarity as Asus likes to use the negative sign on the silkscreen of the board for + side of capacitors, contrary to normal conventions.

Yeah, take out those KZG capacitors.

Disconnect the board from the PSU and maybe remove the battery for a few seconds then plug it back, to reset the bios and then try to boot it.

Comment

Ok, just got a ESR meter! Tested all caps no problem except 1 x 100uf 16v is reading 0.29 but the rest "about 10 of them" reading are 0.7

my question is - is the one with reading 0.29 bad? " it's located in front of the 20pin connector"

Comment

0.29 for a 100uF sounds OK. 0.7 for the KZG sounds bad, shouldn't be more than 0.2-0.3

But I'm not sure if the fact that you measured them in-circuit matters - as the capacitors are in parallel the measurement may be a bit incorrect.

Comment

in that case, I may have to replace all of them except that 0.29...

Comment

It is comon for Asus to post without any picture..In fact I have two motherboards exactly the same as yours with exactly the same symptoms:POST but no picture on onboard or external videeo card..
              It is not the caps to blame,don't waste your time..

Look at post #6 https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16890
              Last edited by Joun; 04-23-2012, 07:02 AM.

Comment

The only time I heard of people regularly reporting motherboards dying with no visible cause, was with the Asus A7N8X family, which seems to be related to the BIOS being more vulnerable to corruption than typical and being an nForce 2 architecture flaw.

Most likely, it's because someone pushed the FSB clock way too high.
                Last edited by RJARRRPCGP; 05-01-2012, 03:39 PM.
                ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

Some months ago I got a pc with this motherboard that
                  powered up but did not post; all caps looked fine
                  but the LAN chip (IC+ between AGP slot
                  and CPU) was extremely hot.
                  Removed with hot air and the board came back to life.

Comment

Have a look at the pin side of your CPU. If any pins are bent or missing it may not post. If you have a post card, install it in a PCU slot and try booting. Look up the code displayed on the boot card. Make sure your CMOS battery is good and your video card is good. Use double-sided low density ram to test.

Comment

just found out one of the transistor (c5606) is pretty warm after I press the power!

I will try to replace that to see what happen next!

Comment

the large black 'transistors'? those are power regulators, they tend to get hot.

I would say nvidia problem but its an nforce 3, they don't usually die like nf4's do
                        Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                        ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

I reflowed the northbridge with a heat gun and tada it post again!!

Comment

so, the BGA problem is everywhere it seems!
                            from laptops to mobile phones to now desktop motherboards.
                            http://nishantpinto.blogspot.in/

Comment

no its been going on for a while with desktop motherboards too. Those nvidia chips run hot, no matter what they're on
                              Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
                              ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

This is interesting. belippy, what type of heat gun and how hot? Any hints? Looks like a trip to my favorite harbor freight for another use-it-once tool... ;-)

My K8N computer "died" a couple of days ago, too ! ! It's been troublefree for nearly 6 years. Right in the middle of a video it shut down like someone pulled the plug. The green power led is on, the cpu fan spins and the hard drive spins up , but no video.

There is a squealing sound coming from the space between the cpu and the rear I/O. Some coils are in there. Sounds like an old tube TV's with a bad horizontal circuit.

The BGA problem sounds possible for me, I transfered the board to a different case a couple of weeks ago. A poor connection wouldn't take much to pop.

Comment

Didn't see any bulged or broken caps on MoBo. Took one glance at the vid card and there it was ... a cap that blew its top ! I have another vid board and will try it.
                                  more later.............

Comment

Board is still not working with a new PCI video card. Standby power LED is ON, CPU fan runs, but no POST beep and no video.

One item - In standby mode before pressing the power button, the blue heatsink with the ASUS name gets very warm .... is this the Northbridge IC ??

Comment

Originally posted by kenzcatz View Post
                                      Board is still not working with a new PCI video card. Standby power LED is ON, CPU fan runs, but no POST beep and no video.

One item - In standby mode before pressing the power button, the blue heatsink with the ASUS name gets very warm .... is this the Northbridge IC ??
                                      Not good. What model/make is your PSU?
                                      Muh-soggy-knee

Comment

Working...
                                      X