Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DELL E171FP White screen only.

Hello.
    Just joined the sites, looks great here. Just have a question. I have 2 DELL E171FP that have same problem. Turn on ok green light on but only shows white screen, does not matter hook up to computer or not.
    I am not new about repair the monitor but this one hard to trace without schematic. Thanks for any help.

Re: DELL E171FP White screen only.

If it only shows a white screen thats probably an LCD panel board or video driver board problem.

Without schematic replacement of the board is the only viable option.
    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Thanks Krankshaft. I've been search on internet and not only me have this problem, thanks god. I will search more and will update if I find something. I bet some one else must solved this before. Thanks for any help.

Comment

Hello hybridge or any other help
        I have got exactly same monitor and same problem, same symptoms plus added symptom, my on/off button does not turn off,
        Have you or anyone else found a fix yet, please post and let us know, I have looked over boards for visible problems, found none thxs
        bobdee
        Last edited by Bobdee; 01-15-2009, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bobdee
          my on/off button does not turn off
          Hallo
          Button broken!
          Take a lock at Krankshaft's Post
          you got the same problem!
          Operative Activity Replace Intelligence Wind calm
          This post has been edited 275 times by 2n3055: Today, 12:93 PM

Comment

Thanks for info
            I have not checked out button, but will do so, the reason being is that I think that I have read in previous threads on Monitors with problems is that when they are turned off after fixing them, the Backlight stays on due to a faulty Mosfet.

So I am thinking the button issue in my case,that is not turning screen off, is due to it being linked to white screen issue. (Help anyone)

Have read Krankshafts post very carefully and understand but someone out there might have found a fix with luck, or read something positive on issue, and will post on it (help anyone)

Hybridge did you find one????

I should have and will check if button is faulty,and post back, also its not viable to me to buy a board because I let them go for pennys, so it will go for parts if no fix.

thanks bob

Comment

Hallo
              Your problem is, the panel is working (white picture).
              But the Signal processor don't work !
              maybe i have the Service Manual

nice WE

Comment

Edit:
                SM for this Dell E171fp search for Samsung LTM170EU or ACER AL1715P (M170EG01

Comment

White at power up is defective panel if the buttons and power is working on the mainboard (the small one that has input connectors on and power feed to it).

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

hello 2n3055 and everyone with this

Removed switch panel and lead to video board, and checked out continuity on all 4 buttons from end of lead, all OK tested fine,
                    that make the not turning off problem, somehow a part of the white screen problem, as I see it,please correct me if I am wrong,
                    I will strip board out again and resolder connections to connector on the board and reconfirm on/off switch is working from there.
                    thanks bob
                    Last edited by Bobdee; 01-16-2009, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Hello and sorry
                      Got cut short last night, it was out of my hands,router turned off.
                      Thanks 2n3055 for info on panels, Thanks Wizard for input, I will check out your info later,
                      I double checked on/off Button through to board solder joints, they are A1 OK, so it must be part of white screen issue when it dont turn off at button.

I will look at it again and get back to you later today
                      thanks bob

Comment

Hallo
                        @Bobdee
                        Check the Fuse at the Panelboard (F1)

Comment

Thanks 2n3055
                          Already done so, after what Wizard said and its open, its going to be tough for me to replace becase of size, but now I need to know what takes them out, I think there is a dodgy IC on the video board, its a Dual P Channel power trench Mosfet according to data sheet, I dont Know how to check it other than replacing it,but can anyone tell me if this Mosfet would cause the fuse to go on panel as well as the problem with on/off button.

The Mosfet is marked U36 on board and is situated centre of Inverter connector and panel connector,also have link to D/Sheet as follows,

http://pdf1.alldatasheet.com/datashe...SI9933ADY.html

Any advice from anyone would be welcome and appreciated, also there is no rateing on fuse,

thanks bob

Comment

I just received an E171FP with the same problem. Will post pics as soon as I get my camera back.
                            There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                            • ASUS ROG Maximus IX Code
                            • Intel Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz
                            • 16gb GSKILL TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200
                            • 1 M2 SSD + 2 WD Blue 1TB (Mirrored)
                            • Windows 10 Pro x64
                            • GeForce GT1050
                              2 x Acer KA240H + 1 Vewsonic VP2130 21 (a cap replacement job )

Comment

Panel by default blocks light transmission when panel is without power even the backlight is lit. That is reason the panels is DARK when off and even tried to shine light through with a flashlight.

I had a very early 15" LCD panel that gone white (clear) that had -Ve bias dc to dc converter fail on the panel itself and had to operate on it.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

I just fix one dell E171fp,just replace the lcd panel.then let me know.good luck.

Comment

I just opened it and it is exactly (almost) the same as a Samsung 172N that I have. All the internal parts are Samsung. The difference between this and the 172N is that the 172N has the inverter/PSU in one board and the Dell has them separated (3 boards in total), and that the lamp connectors are different. I'm going to swap the lamps and check the panel of the 172N in the dell (the Dell has, surprisingly, the white screen problem on startup...no menu, no nothing ....)
                                  There are 10 kind of people in this world: those that understand binary, and those who don't.
                                  • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                  • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Do not swap lamps. White LCD means terminal failure in LCD itself.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Originally posted by Wizard
                                      Do not swap lamps. White LCD means terminal failure in LCD itself.

Cheers, Wizard
                                      The panel/screen in the 172N is working OK, just the power supply/inverter board is burned beyond repair. What I want to do is :
                                      1.- Take the lamps out of the Dell panel (they work, as they light the screen)
                                      2.- Put the Dell Lamps in the Samsung panel (after taking out the Samsung ones)
                                      3.- Test the Dell Monitor with the Samsung Panel

** I have to swap the lamps because the connectors are different (narrow in the Dell, Wide on the Dell). That wa, I'll end up with just a dead monitor instead of two.

With terminal failure you mean "beyond repair, throw it away"?. I've been keeping that screen (and have another from an eMachines e15t3g in the same condition) and I really need to make room, so if that's the case, let me know to take out the lamps and trash the panels.
                                      • Windows 10 Pro x64
                                      • GeForce GT1050

Comment

Well, if you can carefully lay out the loose board on the cut up cereal box cardboard against shorts on the LCD panel's and uncover the line driver board (LCD has metal shield with real small screws and find all the power traces around LCD panel's onboard DC to DC converters and measure against ground and you should get several different volts and one of them that can cause white LCD is missing voltage or wrong.

Be gingerly with handling the LCD driver board, flex ribbons are bonded to this and easy to damage. Took pic, will put it up on website after work to show what I mean.

Cheers, Wizard

Comment

Working...
                                        X