Nec Multisync FE700+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nec Multisync FE700+

I got today that crt monitor and was planning to give it to a friend, but when tested it I noticed some discoloration in the upper right corner of the screen.

It can be seen in the photos that the chassis is broken there..

How do you explain the discoloration?

Is it fixable?
    Attached Files

Re: Nec Multisync FE700+

tried degaussing it?
    some monitors have an option in the menu for that..

Comment

Looks like somebody was playing with a magnet.

If the internal degaussing doesn't work as it sometimes won't if the screen is really magnetized you'll have to use an external degaussing coil.

Power it up and slowly rotate it in a circular motion while stepping away from the screen. Once you're far enough away and don't see it effecting the deflection anymore turn the coil off.
      Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Degaussing and on offs didn't help.

Where can I find an external degaussing coil?

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch
          Degaussing and on offs didn't help.

Where can I find an external degaussing coil?
          Sounds like it could be a warped shadow mask.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

thought about that too.. as it looks like the monitor fell onto that edge.. :/

Comment

Originally posted by PlainBill
              Sounds like it could be a warped shadow mask.

PlainBill
              it uses aperture grill.

Comment

it uses aperture grill.
                Semantics. The monitor was probably dropped on that corner, distorting the aperture grill, shadow mask, or whatever you wish to call it.

If you can easily borrow a degaussing coil, it's worth a try, but it's unlikely to actually help.

PlainBill
                For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

I used a screwdriver with a magnet to test how the monitor responds when you get it near it.

I read over the internet that some people attach small magnets at their monitors in a way that the discoloration is less visible.

So, I put the screwdriver at the top right of the screen and the discoloration went away but it was temp: When the magnet was removed it got back.

Then I had the idea to degauss it while I had the screwdriver on it in a way there was no discoloration but that had the opposite results: The discoloration got bigger when the screwdriver was removed.

So, what I did was to put the screwdriver in a way that the top right corner of the screen was completely reddish and then degaussed. It instantly became less discolored and after I removed the screwdriver, the screen's colors are nearly perfect!!

I don't know if this is a temp fix and it will get discolored again over time... Time will tell.

What do you think?

Comment

I used a screwdriver with a magnet to test how the monitor responds when you get it near it.

I read over the internet that some people attach small magnets at their monitors in a way that the discoloration is less visible.

So, I put the screwdriver at the top right of the screen and the discoloration went away but it was temp: When the magnet was removed it got back.

Then I had the idea to degauss it while I had the screwdriver on it in a way there was no discoloration but that had the opposite results: The discoloration got bigger when the screwdriver was removed.

So, what I did was to put the screwdriver in a way that the top right corner of the screen was completely reddish and then degaussed. It instantly became less discolored and after I removed the screwdriver, the screen's colors are nearly perfect!!

I don't know if this is a temp fix and it will get discolored again over time... Time will tell.

What do you think?
                    I think you have magnetized it in a matter that compensates for the warping of the mask. The normal degaussing action the monitor uses when turned on will remove it. The distortion will return fairly quickly.

PlainBill

Comment

You were right...

Comment

You were right...
                        Well, nobody can say you didn't give it a good try. Too bad it didn't work out.

PlainBill

Comment

Thanx for your help anyway

Comment

Working...
                          X