Intel D850mv And D850mvse Mobo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intel D850mv And D850mvse Mobo

I have a Intel D850mv which failed after 3 years and 4 months of service. The failure was preceded by very strong odor and very unstable erratic board performance.
    Because I did not want to reload the system I looked around and found a D850mvse (same chipset) and it worked fine for 11 months. It is now smelling and acting a little erratic.
    Can't detect any swollen, busted, coated or lopsided capcitors, but definately beleive it is the old cap problem.
    Has any one else experienced this kind (cap) of failure with the Intel D850MV boards?
    Intel is not talking.
    Very frustrating problem. Even if I wanted to use a different board I am not sure if any P4 board is trustworthy.
    Considering a SuperMicro P4SPA for a rebuild any comments on this board?

Re: Intel D850mv And D850mvse Mobo

it does sound like badcaps but if it was smelling i would have expected to see some bulging.

the intel boards had problems with nichicon HN and HM series fails but your board was before that incident. the boards affected were :

Electrolytic Capacitor Leak on some 875 & 865 based products

Products Affected

IntelĀ® Desktop BoardsD865GBF, D875BZL, D865GLC, D845EPI, D865PERC, D865GRH, D865PERL, D845GVSR, D865PESO, D845GLVA, D865GWV, and IntelĀ® Entry Server Board S875WP1-E.
    i have some D845PEBT2 intel boards but they have good caps, my D875PBZLK which i am using now also. I dont have info about D850 fails but i will check the net tomorrow for you. About 3 years is about right for badcaps though. The D850mvse is going to meet the same no POST fate as the first one, better to get it recapped before it does as the job is easier that way.

It would be good if you checked inside your PSU to see if the caps are bulging there. Perhaps the psu is supplying bad power and there are good caps on the motherboard failing because they are having to work too hard.

if you could get a few photos of the caps on the board and in the psu that would help. Otherwise tell us what is written on the caps which are 1000uf and above.

If you want either of the boards repaired with good caps then PM Topcat who owns this forum, he can help.

I think it will be difficult to find a model with good caps that you could search for on ebay but we can help with that also if you decide to go that route.
    Last edited by willawake; 03-02-2006, 05:02 PM.
    capacitor lab yachtmati techmati

Comment

I have a D850mv mobo that might have bad caps. It started acting erratically the last couple of weeks, hanging up even in the POST and now it won't even POST at all. I called Intel's support line at 800-404-2284 (North America) and explained to them that I might have bad caps and I heard they were a fire hazard. They told me it was out of warranty and they finally told me that they had none to replace my bad one so they are going to send me a refund check! I'm faxing my information over this afternoon and i'll update you later.

Comment

what kind of caps do you have on your board? some pics would be good.

will you have to return your board to intel for the refund? if so and you want a replacement, i have seen some 850 intel here http://www.hypermicro.com/ in stock according to their catalogue. i have no idea if they are good vendor though.

Comment

I saw these two while shopping yesterday. Might be of some interest, they are a trusted vendor.

http://www.overstock.com/?PAGE=CATLI...O_SSUB_CAT=125

Comment

This board is riddled with several Nichicon caps. I can take lots of pictures but there's nothing to look at. None are leaking or buldging and I think if I were to remove them they might be leaking underneath. The symptoms match a failing cap as the board will power up but not POST. Good memory, CPU, powersupply and video card. It's like fire, you have to have the essential elements otherwise there is no action. I have sent Intel my info and haven't heard anything yet.

Comment

Will computer shops accept returns (from a customer) of an affected board which is still working, with or without bulging capacitors?
              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

bad news, a very rude lady named Rose from Intel called me today and told me that they won't be giving me a refund for my mobo or anything! it seems the technician "Alex" misled me or thought that they would cover these mobos. anyone know anybody at Intel that may be able to help me in this consumer affair now?

Comment

what is the warranty on your board? it should be covered being only 11 months old. i see the boxed boards have 3 year warranty but the bulk seem to have only 1 year. puts into perspective the price difference......

i would try again with another rep, preferably in writing.

Comment

The board was purchased in 2002.

I'll probably either re-cap it myself or get a local shop to do it for me instead of bothering with Intel again.

Comment

Sincerest apologies for digging up the old thread but I actually have two of these boards, and since having joined the site (and finally figuring out the search trick (clicking on the search button and selecting the radio button for search POSTS returns much more useful results...didn't notice that at first )) I've been doing searches for anything I have stored away.

It so happens the first Intel D850EMV2 board suffered two blown capacitors (Nichicon HM series 3300uF 6.3V) WELLLLL before I had any knowledge of capacitor defects. One day board started acting funny, finally refusing to POST. At the time (~2004), it was the computer I used for learning Windows Server 2003, ISA server, Apache, PostGRE SQL, and countless other applications without messing with my main computer. So I found a good used board on Fleabay (back when I trusted sellers enough to buy from them), and put the board on the shelf thinking it might come in handy for something one day (like the Intel electronics museum I was planning on building, LOL).

The newer board has more or less functioned as I expect an Intel board to perform (pay good money, get good board, right?). Eventually (~2008), I upgraded the processor to the highest 478 P4 she would accept, a 3.16 northwood with HT. Well, BIOS started bitching about not using pc1066 rdram (using pc800). Still posted, just that annoying message at boot time (man that RAM is pricey). Finally retired it about two years ago (still works, just waiting for more urgent priorites so I can upgrade the RAM to hopefully 2GB of pc1066.

So, today I found this thread and decided to have a look at the original board, and sure enough there they were...two Nichi's vented out of the top (thank god none of it got on the board).

Question time:
                      1)If I recapped the board, does anyone think it's still desirable at all?
                      2)The "next" board I'm looking at is a MSI 890FXA-GD70. The thing that strikes me the most is that aside from SATA III and USB 3.0 is that it features through-hole "solid caps". Are these available to the general public and would they make sense/cents for this board?
                      3)If the answer to #2 is no, cap replacement suggestions? I only ask because it seems as though some of you may (TopCat? Willawake?) already have a list of quality caps (maybe a "kit") I could use?

Pre-answered questions you'll likely ask:
                      1) No, the second board has a different set of caps.
                      2) No, I'm not sure what they used; I gotta dig it up.
                      3) Yes, pictures will be forthcoming; I'm tired ATM, about to finish up a few more posts before I crash for the night.

Thanks again, gotta go sleep, tomorrow's going to be solder-thon (Dell laptop AC receptacle broke loose, then I'm going to reflow the solder on that Sony DVD POS to see if it does anything to fix it...doubtful I'll shell out the loot for replacement caps, we'll see), among a fairly big honey-do day

C-ya
                      Bri
                      If you voted for Obama in 2008 to prove you weren't a racist, you'd better vote for someone else in 2012 to prove you're not an idiot!

Comment

Originally posted by Digital Technophile View Post
                        it features through-hole "solid caps". Are these available to the general public and would they make sense/cents for this board?
                        Yes, they are more correctly referred to as polymer capacitors. Badcaps.net has them in stock.
                        Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                        Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                        A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Working...
                        X