MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon Dented Cap Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon Dented Cap Question

Hello, I just received my new custom pc. I wanted to replace the stock cooler but just realised that one of the capacitors under the cpu cooler (second from the top) has a dent on the top corner.

My motherboard is z170a msi gaming pro carbon. The dent is either factory defect or happened at the pcshop which buildt my desktop pc.

Will this kind of dent can effect cpu overclock performance (i7 6700k) or the lifespan of the capacitor?

How can I understand if the cap is functioning or not? For now computer can operate normally but can things change if i OC? Should I replace the cap and if I should which brand model etc is the compatible replacement?

There is no hole or anything just a physical dent. The flash makes the dent appear glossy but it is black just like the rest of the cap.

Thanks a lot!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vurhan; 01-01-2017, 04:39 PM.

Re: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon Dented Cap Question

It's a pretty small dent and unlikely to do much to the capacitor, but it's still possible the capacitor may have been damaged internally and could fail. If it fails shorted, it may explode.

If you are worried about it, you should take the PC back to the shop and get them to replace the motherboard.
    "Tantalum for the brave, Solid Aluminium for the wise, Wet Electrolytic for the adventurous"
    -David VanHorn

Comment

If the pcshop declines to replace the motherboard, which capacitor should I buy (brand and specifications) to get it replaced by a professional. I am newbie on this topic and highly frustrated by the situation. I cant use my new computer because the dent makes me uneasy. I wont be able to see the cap if i install the cpu cooler and start to use the pc. Any help is highly appreciated and thanks a lot!

Comment

Put the CPU back in or the shield before you bend any pins.
        Stress test the PC, if it falls over complain. If not, don't worry.
        I'm puzzled why you'd get a shop to build a PC then you pull out the CPU to upgrade the cooler. You should have just built it yourself

Comment

I know, thats my worst regret... I thought they would do a more prof. cable management than me, I overestimated their professionalism a lot...

Comment

What is a reasonable overclock value for i7 6700k to support with good air cooling so that I can understand if my capacitor is working or not?

Comment

My guess is the dropped the cooler on the cap.
              Forget overclocking for now. Just use one of the many programs that will stress the CPU.
              https://www.raymond.cc/blog/test-sys...tem-resources/
              I'd recommend new thermal paste before you do.

Comment

I would tell you if you want to keep this system for a while I wouldn't put more that 1.35v, that Mobo may support more but the cooler may not, and the CPU could shorten its life a bit, air coolers that can do more than that r1 universal or nh-d14/15 or other big cooler but those are not a Good idea because they will bend the CPU PCB, custom water cooling might be the best if money is not a trouble, I don't like the h100i btw
                Last edited by Drack; 01-21-2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Just make a prime 95 small test, 30 min should be ok

Comment

Working...
                  X