Am I wrong on this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I wrong on this?

I told him the throughput is likely the switch, or an idiot time warner tech
    Attached Files
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Re: Am I wrong on this?

the fact that it's halved - is everything hard configured for "full duplex" and not entrusted to "auto"??
    i have seen XP and older fuck this up by default sometimes.
    not touched any newer win-shit so dont know.

Comment

There is not enough information in the screen shots to be sure what is being measured. For example, if the tech is reading framing info, or measuring actual throughput to the first hop router (wherever that is physically located), and the user is trying to use speedtest.net, or to download a file from a real server out on the Internet when everybody in the neighborhood is doing the same, it is no wonder that the measurements differ.

One of my co-workers who is paying for 100 Mbps Internet access over Verizon FiOS asked me to check it, and he was really getting 100 Mbps to speedtest.net.
      Last edited by Uniballer; 10-12-2016, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Depends on the speed of the can on the other end of the string (what server you're measuring from). Also, there could be a limit on the modem or router if either was bypassed.

Also the tech may be using a BS tool that is more marketing than diagnostics.
        sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

One thing not included is on two seperate computers hes getting 50mbps on ethernet. So I was thinking perhaps router processing power
          Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
          ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

well router ethernet>ethernet port performance is generally crap compared to a hardware switch / hub,
            but exactly half the rated speed is a bit suspicious.

Comment

try plugging in a third pc/laptop/tablet/whatever if the router has a third ethernet port and see how it behaves now.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                the fact that it's halved - is everything hard configured for "full duplex" and not entrusted to "auto"??
                i have seen XP and older fuck this up by default sometimes.
                not touched any newer win-shit so dont know.
                It would not matter because half duplex only means a device cannot both talk and listen at the same time ... if its just listening (to data coming in lets say like a download or a streaming video) then that data can still stream in at the full hundred megabits (minus overhead for TCP etc.).

Comment

First ... your assumption that the tech is full of shit and trying to evade the work involved of actually solving the problem is the right assumption in just about EVERY case of large ISPs ... the fact that hes getting 100 meg at his meter doesnt mean shit! What the hell is a meter anyways? Is it a PC running TCP/IP? Or is it some special device designed to measure the actual layer 1 / 2 signal coming into the clients home? Cause if thats the case, then all the tech has verified is that the signal coming into the home is sufficient to handle the service level that the client is paying for ... the problem now, is that somewhere his service is being choked back to 50 meg, and I would bet a donut that the confifg issue is in the cable modem.
                  Last edited by EasyGoing1; 05-19-2017, 07:57 AM.

Comment

This is a dumb thing to suggest because things like this are almost ALWAYS a default ... but has he power cycled his cable modem since changing his service? OR is this a problem that recently started ... like his service was running fine then allofasudden it wasn't???

Comment

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
                      It would not matter because half duplex only means a device cannot both talk and listen at the same time ... if its just listening (to data coming in lets say like a download or a streaming video) then that data can still stream in at the full hundred megabits (minus overhead for TCP etc.).
                      not true,unless your using UDP every packet - usually small like 8-64k has to be aknowleged before the next packet is sent.
                      dont be fooled by terms like "streaming", it's more like a high speed stream of bursts with ack's returned between each one.

Comment

My ISP uses light. I get 50m/50m. Unless I go straight to pc. My router is getting old like me.

I'm not a network guy.
                        Last edited by junktv; 05-19-2017, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stj View Post
                          not true,unless your using UDP every packet - usually small like 8-64k has to be aknowleged before the next packet is sent.
                          dont be fooled by terms like "streaming", it's more like a high speed stream of bursts with ack's returned between each one.
                          TCP/IP overhead exists in both half and full duplex as it is the nature of the protocol...

My point was that the duplex setting will not effect bandwidth, and in general ... a one way transmission over a half or full duplex connection given the same bandwidth will be very close to the same speed. Set the NIC in your computer to half duplex and download a large file. Then set it to full duplex and download that file again ... you'll see what I'm talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by junktv View Post
                            My ISP uses light. I get 50m/50m. Unless I go straight to pc. My router is getting old like me.

I'm not a network guy.
                            You're saying that your ISP uses fiber optic as their transmission medium... odd that you would not get the same bandwidth going straight to your computer ...

And just for trivial knowledge, the methods of moving Internet traffic over fiber are often the same as the methods used in copper (same protocols etc.) - the only time it is different is if they configure it as a trunk line which is an extremely fast way to push multiple data connections over one strand of fiber... those trunking protocols are wicked fast and the newer implementations wont even work on copper over long distances especially. fiber can be run at much MUCH longer distances before the signal needs to be repeated. Copper is lossy and noisy where fiber is virtually lossless and extremely quiet. it would be like driving a 30 year old car that had its shocks and struts replaced with steel rods on a dirt road... then switching to a brand new cadillac. night and day.

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
                              One thing not included is on two seperate computers hes getting 50mbps on ethernet. So I was thinking perhaps router processing power
                              If the router is what the ISP typically uses for these connections then doing a bandwidth test (preferably to a server on the ISPs network) will always result in showing you the speced speed of the connection... you would need many computers all of them sucking down Internet data in alarming quantities at the same time you're running the bandwidth test before you're going to notice their effect on the connection.

Comment

Like you could literally have 15 computers all watching youtube videos at the same time and then run a bandwidth test from a 16th computer and I would be surprised if the test results didn't show the full subscription speed ... and that is because of the nature of video streaming being very "bursty" ... even if other computers were downloading large files at the same time .. the odds that the server they are pulling the file from, actually allowing them to saturate your bandwidth is extremely low ... when you run a server, you design the throttling of outgoing bandwidth because you're going to have many people accessing you at the same time and you don't want people on the internet taxing your service and your hardware at any level where your own computer performance will be affected. In other words ... its pretty difficult for one person or even a bunch to be doing stuff on the internet at a level where others on the network will notice the speed loss... That would be VERY difficult to do.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyGoing1 View Post
                                  You're saying that your ISP uses fiber optic as their transmission medium... odd that you would not get the same bandwidth going straight to your computer ...

Yes

Odd you would think hardware doesn't matter. I mean 14k modem should gigabit right?

Comment

Working...
                                  X