vizio vw42l hdtv10a no picture/sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vizio vw42l hdtv10a no picture/sound

I'm hoping someone here can help me with my problem, I have a vizio vw42l hdtv10a and I get no picture or sound out of the tv. I took off the back cover and seen the back lights are coming on but again no picture or sound. I can turn on and off the tv by using the panel buttons but thats it no menu channel up/down etc.. I have looked over several other threads involving similar problems and this is what I have replaced on the mainboard so far....

Mouser #: 621-AP1117E18G-13
    Mfr. #: AP1117E18G-13
    Desc.: Low Dropout (LDO) Regulators LDO BI 1.0A
    used for u9

Mouser #: 511-LD1117ASTR
    Mfr. #: LD1117ASTR
    Desc.: Low Dropout (LDO) Regulators LOW DROP
    FIXED REG
    used on u8, u2, u33, u7

Mouser #: 667-EEU-FM1E221
    Mfr. #: EEU-FM1E221
    Desc.: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded
    220UF 25V ELECT FM RADIAL
    used on ce75, ce8, ce7, ce14, ce16, ce91, ce2, ce1, ce5, ce6, ce23, ce11, ce27, ce18, ce25, ce26, ce20

Mouser #: 667-EEU-FR1V471
    Mfr. #: EEU-FR1V471
    Desc.: Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - Leaded
    35VDC 470uF 10x16mm LS5mm
    used on the two inverter boards,

I also followed the repair manual for this tv on the dc to dc converter trouble shooting guide (see attachment) after replacing all the parts listed above all voltage readings came out correctly as stated in the repair manual. and something else I noticed before doing repairs on the master inverter board there was a blue led on the pcb that would come on then go off, but after doing repairs it stays on so I guess I did something good just not good enough. thanks in advance for any help on this.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by aftonr; 08-21-2011, 09:29 PM.
    “Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.”

Re: vizio vw42l hdtv10a no picture/sound

I would look at the Tcon, I had the same model with a bad Tcon once.

Comment

how would you check the tcon?
      “Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.”

Comment

Your main problem is consistant with that of an inverter board issue. There are multiple threads for this same TV set. If you search this forum for that tv model number you will find threads that tell you how to test these inverters and so on.

Here is a post of mine from a similar set with the same symptoms.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...974#post129974
        Last edited by Dgtech; 09-01-2011, 03:54 AM.
        The strong-minded rise to the challenge of their goals,the weak-minded BECOME HATERS

Comment

check for power at the t-con (small tiny fuse upon cable input 12vdc or so)

I would then go after the video board.

You said you have backlight?

Can you turn the tv off? (That is a big one) If not then you may need a mainboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Dgtech View Post
            Your main problem is consistant with that of an inverter board issue. There are multiple threads for this same TV set. If you search this forum for that tv model number you will find threads that tell you how to test these inverters and so on.

Here is a post of mine from a similar set with the same symptoms.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showth...974#post129974

dgtech thanks for your reply, I looked at that post during my repairs and checked the master and slave inverter they were reading 8.5k-8.4k ohms on both boards I also replaced capacitors on these boards. I also checked fuses on tcon, slave, master and main board all good and I can turn on/off tv with the control panel buttons also I have Backlight. hope this is enough information and sorry it's taking me so long to respond to your posts I'm in CT doing storm restoration work from hurricane Irene, its hard to find the time to reply. again thanks for your help
            Last edited by aftonr; 09-05-2011, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by aftonr View Post
              dgtech thanks for your reply, I looked at that post during my repairs and checked the master and slave inverter they were reading 8.5k-8.4k ohms on both boards I also replaced capacitors on these boards. I also checked fuses on tcon, slave, master and main board all good and I can turn on/off tv with the control panel buttons also I have Backlight. hope this is enough information and sorry it's taking me so long to respond to your posts I'm in CT doing storm restoration work from hurricane Irene, its hard to find the time to reply. again thanks for your help
              I had the same problem with the same tv once and the fuse checked ok but I still ended up replacing the Tcon board. I found one on ebay for 35 bucks so instead of trouble shooting the Tcon further i just bought one there. Mine also had the problem where it wouldn't turn off as mentioned earlier. I replaced U33 regulator to fix that problem but I still had the backlight only problem that was later solved by the Tcon replacement

Comment

rmoody, I just purchased a tcon it shows it arriving 9-15-11 I will post the results when it is installed.

Comment

rmoody, I just purchased a tcon it shows it arriving 9-15-11 I will post the results when it is installed.
                  good deal, let us know, maybe it will fix it. It's usually the cheapest board to buy anyways.

Comment

your the man rmoody got the board in last night hooked it up and fired up like a champ. thanks for your suggestion.

Comment

your the man rmoody got the board in last night hooked it up and fired up like a champ. thanks for your suggestion.
                      Good deal, I checked everything i could think of on my vw42L before finally purchasing a tcon and saved the day. Mine had vertical multi color lines like a public broadcasting announcement background.

Comment

Originally posted by rmoody View Post
                        Good deal, I checked everything i could think of on my vw42L before finally purchasing a tcon and saved the day. Mine had vertical multi color lines like a public broadcasting announcement background.
                        well I got to do some smd soldering while fixing this tv what an experience Im just glad I got the tv back I was hesitant to try the tcon but I figured it's only 50 bucks why not. thanks again!

Comment

I have mine fixed, I replaced U2 U7 U8 U9, U33 and CE27. I screwed up removing U8 and pulled up the pad to the adj side of the regulator and I was even using the chip set stuff. Luckly it was easy enough to trace it back to the adjusting resistor so I used a small piece of wire and ran from the resistor to the regulator and saved the board. Now I have ordered a Hot air rework station for SMD work.

Comment

Want to thank everyone on this site, great information and without you guys I couldn't have fixed my TV

Comment

Originally posted by rmoody View Post
                              I would look at the Tcon, I had the same model with a bad Tcon once.
                              I am having the same issue as the person who started this thread. Since I am not very savvy with tech issues coulds someone explain what a Tcon is.

Thanks, Jon

Comment

Are you getting backlights?
                                Here are the pictures of the boards, there are more than one version of this TV.
                                http://www.shopjimmy.com/catalogsear...+vw42l+hdtv10a
                                Never stop learning
                                Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

I have a very similar issue with a VIZIO VW42L HDTV10A. I am fixing it for a older couple in our community and trying to save them from having to buy a new one. when I first got the TV it was not getting any power, the Visio light on the front would not com on either Orange or white. from another thread I found that the f1 fuse on the main board was bad. it had no power across the fuse and when I pressed the power button the F2 fuse did not get any power. I ordered and replaced the f1 fuse (3A) and now both of them get power when I press the power button and the f2 looses power when I turn the power off.

However, the back lights do not come on still. so from another thread I was led to test the power on the J1 connector to the Main power/inverter combo board. here are the voltage readings I get:

unit in standby
                                  Pin#
                                  14 0.0
                                  13 0.0
                                  12 4.7
                                  11 4.7
                                  10 4.7
                                  9 Blank
                                  8 0.0
                                  7 0.0
                                  6 0.0
                                  5 0.0
                                  4 0.0
                                  3 0.0
                                  2 0.0
                                  1 0.0

unit turned on "white logo"
                                  14 1.5
                                  13 0.0
                                  12 4.7
                                  11 4.7
                                  10 4.7
                                  9 Blank
                                  8 0.0
                                  7 0.0
                                  6 0.0
                                  5 0.0
                                  4 12.0
                                  3 12.0
                                  2 12.0
                                  1 2.1
                                  When I turn the unit on, the blue lite on the tcon board comes on bright and then fades out. Is that normal.
                                  I have also checked the voltage at the connectors for the inverters by checking red to ground and white to ground and with the unit on none of them have any volts.
                                  I am at a loss now where to go form here. can someone please tell me what is going on. I have good pictures and can post them.
                                  Attached Files
                                  Last edited by blmcamp; 09-05-2013, 05:42 PM. Reason: attach pictures

Comment

We need to know what the pins are labeled as so we can tell if it is getting the correct signals. Does it have any kind of labels, I.E. ps_on, stby, etc.? Pictures of your board?
                                    Never stop learning
                                    Basic LCD TV and Monitor troubleshooting guides.
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...956#post305956

Voltage Regulator (LDO) testing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...999#post300999

Inverter testing using old CFL:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthr...er+testing+cfl

Tear down pictures : Hit the ">" Show Albums and stories" on the left side
                                    http://s807.photobucket.com/user/budm/library/

TV Factory reset codes listing:
                                    http://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24809

Comment

Here are some photos of the connector. I have to sigh off for today but will check back tomorrow, thank you
                                      Attached Files

Comment

OK. I am back now. I had to go home and put our some fires
                                        I hope the pictures I attached help.

Comment

Working...
                                        X