Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help Finding a Capacitor Replacement...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help Finding a Capacitor Replacement...

So my TV decided to take a dirt nap and die apparently and the TV repair shop wanted 70 bucks JUST to look at it. So I did some Googling about and found that this TV has a problem with Capacitors blowing out after a few years. So I cracked open the PC and what do I find on the Powersupply board? Two burst Caps. I've already removed the burnt-out caps to get the info off of them, but I'd rather not replace them with the manufacturer's caps because they are using a Bad cap brand called "CapXon". I did however find a similar cap on Digikey by Nichicon. Can someone look at the info I have and tell me if the Cap on Digikey is a safe replacement for the one in my TV?

ORIGINAL CAPACITORS

1200uF 35v

Radial (Through board) mounting type

Temp Range: -55C to 105C

Size: .5 inches x 1.5 Inches (12.5 mm x 38.1 mm) (this size Cap is not listed on the CapXon list for some reason tho.

REPLACEMENT CAPACITOR

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...me=493-1873-ND

I'm fairly sure that they are safe replacements, but I'd like to make sure.

Re: Need help Finding a Capacitor Replacement...

Additionally There is this Capacitor by Panasonic

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P10306-ND

It has a shorter lifespan (5000 hrs vs 7000 hrs) But it has the added benefit of being in stock and able to ship immediately.

Comment

Originally posted by Tornath
      Additionally There is this Capacitor by Panasonic

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P10306-ND

It has a shorter lifespan (5000 hrs vs 7000 hrs) But it has the added benefit of being in stock and able to ship immediately.
      Go with the Panasonic. They won't be operating anywhere near 105°C so the life expectancy is not an issue (now if you were planning on using them in boiling water...)

PlainBill
      For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

So does that mean that the Capacitors linked are both appropriate for my needs? I'm mostly a Novice with Capacitors. physically they look about the same, and unless I'm missing a critical spec they should be the same on an electrical circuit except for size. I just wanted to make sure it'd be safe to use them.

The CapXon Caps for the TV from the manufacturer cost 5-8 dollars each by comparison, which is why I want to make sure. These are less than a dollar fifty each.

Comment

Originally posted by Tornath
          So does that mean that the Capacitors linked are both appropriate for my needs? I'm mostly a Novice with Capacitors. physically they look about the same, and unless I'm missing a critical spec they should be the same on an electrical circuit except for size. I just wanted to make sure it'd be safe to use them.

The CapXon Caps for the TV from the manufacturer cost 5-8 dollars each by comparison, which is why I want to make sure. These are less than a dollar fifty each.
          Capxon's are on the list of 'bad caps'. By the data sheet the original caps were rated for use in switching power supplies. Panasonic caps have an excellent reputation. The Panasonic FC series you specified is designed to be used in switching supplies. Use them! You aren't just saving money, you're also buying reliability.

As far as the price difference, some manufacturers make a significant profit from the sale of replacement parts. Do a little research and see what the CapXon's would cost from a Capxon distributor. And it's not only the manufacturer. I was looking into the cost of a 92mm cooling fan recently. The manufacturer's suggested price for this fan is something like $55. One parts distributor has it available for $45. Another charges $78 for it. It's available on eBay (new) for under $40, and I've found it without the connector for $15.

DigiKey runs a very efficient operation. My only concerns about doing business with them is that they make very little (if any) profit on small orders. And I want them to stay in business.

PlainBill
          For a number of reasons, both health and personal, I will no longer be active on this board. Any PMs asking for assistance will be ignored.

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember, amateurs built the ark. Professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Welcome Tornath.

For future reference it is better to title thread with brand and model then problem. Along the lines of: "RCA XYZ105J Dead - caps replacement help needed"

Age, Brand, & Model # of TV please.

If 2 are bad, I'd be looking at any others in that area and perhaps in other areas for possible failures. Especially any in the same brand and series. Failures or weaknesses in power supply can cause failures in other circuits.

Since there are none of your capacitance/voltage caps on the LZ sheet you presented, I did look back to the closest available 1000uF@25v. Compared to the FC Panasonics, I would not recommend the FC series but would the FM Panasonics. The FM's are more closely in line with the LZ CapXon specs.

Toast
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Another important question in which circuit are the caps bulged the switching PSU, vertical deflection, etc?

What ICs they're near will usually give you a clue without a schematic.

Pics would help immensely also.
              Last edited by Krankshaft; 04-26-2009, 01:40 AM.
              Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

That cap is a custom ordered part and quite frankly iIt's an unusually high grade for that volts/uF combination.
                - Capxon LZ are comparable grade [ESR/Ripple] to Rubycon MBZ in 8mm and 10mm sizes but MBZ don't go over 16v or over 10mm.
                That's true of most higher grade Jap caps.

[ You can cross reference between series by looking at the 8x20mm and 10x20mm caps in the applicable data sheets. Caps of same grade will have same ripple/ESR by the can size.]

Extrapolating and estimating from other charts I would expect a 12.5mm x 38mm cap of that grade would have ESR ~ .010 and Ripple >3000.
                The -only- Japanese cap I know that goes to 35v with ESR/Ripple anywhere near that is Panasonic FM.
                EEUFM1V122L is a 12.5x30mm with ESR = .013 and Ripple = 3630.
                http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...name=P12406-ND
                Mann-Made Global Warming.
                - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                -
                You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                -

Comment

I attached a picture of the Cap. There are actually two of them that are blown, but they are identical in every way. It came out of a Magnavox 32MF231D/37 LCD TV which is 3 years old by Manufacture date. I'd post a picture of the Power supply board where they came from, but I'm a klutz with soldering so It's with my Brother until I get the caps for him to solder back on.

Oh, and the opposite side of the Cap says:

LZ 105C
                  P616
                  VENT
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Tornath; 04-26-2009, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ
                    That cap is a custom ordered part and quite frankly iIt's an unusually high grade for that volts/uF combination.
                    I don't trust the datasheets from crap cap companies they are like Chinese PSU manufacturers they overinflate the specs. This PSU is good to 500 watts yeah for 100 ms .

See Fukyuu caps good to 105 C my ass .

If something smells fishy then it probably is.

I use Pana FC on all inverter and PSU recaps they haven't failed me yet.

FM has lower ESR but I have a whole selection of FC in most common uf values up to 50 volts.

Heatwise most LCDs run very hot and crap caps simply can't stand the heat.
                    Last edited by Krankshaft; 04-27-2009, 07:26 PM.
                    Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

Now that you are in there be sure to replace all of the secondary caps or at least those made by Crapxon in that series.

Comment

Working...
                      X