Sega Game Gear / Bad Caps!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sega Game Gear / Bad Caps!!!

Hi everybody new to this, anyone i have a game gear it is one of those devices that uses bad capacitors, symptoms of this are poor contrast on screen lots of crosstalk on screen, brightness problems and possibly not turning on at all and failing of the sound sound system. This week im going to try and replace the caps on the board, im following the guide shown here

http://members.optusnet.com.au/evilt.../ggrepair.html (This one)

http://www.smspower.org/dev/docs/ggsoundfix/

What i want to know is im using the miniaturised type called Minelect, from maplin (Electronic retailer) does anyone know if thats the actual make or who makes these caps. Also how well do ceramic caps go in the place of electrolytic devices?

Re: Sega Game Gear / Bad Caps!!!

Anybody have any tips for redoing caps on a Game gear? I received one from a friend, with about 12 games, but it has the washed out screen. I have never done surface mount stuff, any tips? Where can I get the caps from? Digikey the only place?

Comment

ChipQuik makes getting the old ones off much easier. It consists of a special low temp solder and flux. You put the flux on and then bathe the solder pad of the component with the solder. It stays molten long enough to pick the component up with a tweezers. I used it to remove some 8 pin SMD FETs with no prior experience. I figured out how to do it very quickly. There are also some guides on the net on how to do it. Here is the link for a small ChipQuik kit on Digikey: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...l&name=SMD1-ND

Comment

Well, getting them off isn't the problem, is soldering the new ones on.... I have some soldering skills, but not sure if I could do that.

Comment

i'v done a few.

it uses strange caps that are like normal caps on there side in a small frame.
          they all leak.

you need to open it, make a note of all lopcations ?& values.
          then remove them all & clean the leaks with IPA.

i recap them all using surfacemount tantalums i pull from old dvd drives & over junk - they wont leak again!

you have to be a bit carefull btw removing the old caps on the audio pcb - you'l understand when you see it.
          and the pwer board - use regular decent caps.

Comment

Or if there is enough room when the thing is put back together just bend the leads on ordinary radial through hole caps and solder them to the board.

I've never seen lytic caps in an epoxy SMD package like that before must be a 90s thing. When I first saw they had polarity and that they were surface mount I thought Tantalums but then I knew they couldn't be because they wouldn't have failed .
            Last edited by Krankshaft; 04-09-2010, 01:59 PM.
            Elements of the past and the future combining to make something not quite as good as either.

Comment

A couple of years ago, I bought one (which had weak audio), and replacing the capacitors on the Audio board restored the sound completely. If I remember correctly, they were SMD units (and were leaking).
              My first choice in quality Japanese electrolytics is Nippon Chemi-Con, which has been in business since 1931... the quality of electronics is dependent on the quality of the electrolytics.

Comment

I recapped a few Game Gears over the last few years. I just replaced the SMD caps with regular Panny FC's. You'll only have to bend them flat with the mainboard or the shell won't fit anymore.

Colors aren't washed out anymore and the crosstalk is gone too after recap

Comment

Working...
                X