Testing computers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing computers

How do you guys test computers and laptops for stability issues etc? As in what method or burn in software do you use?
    I personally just pop memtest86+ overnight and if it doesn't crash I'll call it a day... Open to suggestions.
    Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Re: Testing computers

If system is suspected to have stability issues or a mobo is recapped I usually run prime95 for 36 hours, if memory is suspected memtest for 36 hours and if gpu is suspected furmark for 6-10 hours. That's only for extreme cases. If other non critical work is being done on the system 5 hours of testing.
    Guns don't solve problems. I'll take 12

Comment

memtest86.
      sigpic

(Insert witty quote here)

Comment

Memtest86+ for 24 hours, followed by IntelBurnTest for 24 hours.
        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

a program called 'the troubleshooter' and/or memtest
          <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
          Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
          http://folding.stanford.edu/
          Team : 49813
          Join in!!
          Team Stats

Comment

Originally posted by Topcat View Post
            a program called 'the troubleshooter' and/or memtest
            I use the troubleshooter sometimes. Only issue is that it doesn't work on laptops like IBM Thinkpads? or did I get a screwed up CD?
            Last edited by stevo1210; 05-28-2012, 11:36 PM.
            Don't find love, let love find you. That's why its called falling in love, because you don't force yourself to fall, you just fall. - Anonymous

Comment

The Troubleshooter is an old piece of software, it won't work with everything nowadays. IntelBurnTest and Furmark, and Victoria (a russian software, from Hiren's Boot CD) for the HDD.
              Originally posted by PeteS in CA
              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
              A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Toshiba tests computers by starting Windows, opening Internet Explorer, and then shutting the computer off as soon as the home page loads.

Comment

Originally posted by lti View Post
                  Toshiba tests computers by starting Windows, opening Internet Explorer, and then shutting the computer off as soon as the home page loads.
                  LOL. How do you know that, or did you make it up?

As for testing, usually Memtest86+ or Prime95. I also test the PSU voltages with a DMM and make sure everything else works.

Comment

I saw the event logs and browser history on my laptop after it was returned from its first two warranty repairs. They actually do run testing software when they first receive the computer, but I don't think they perform any tests to see if the part they replaced fixed the problem.

Comment

Really? I've had nothing but good experiences with Toshiba support.
                      I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

I saw the event logs and browser history on my laptop after it was returned from its first two warranty repairs. They actually do run testing software when they first receive the computer, but I don't think they perform any tests to see if the part they replaced fixed the problem.
                        Was that Toshiba factory service or a local independent authorized repair center? Because I've heard the latter vary widely in quality, but the one in NW Phoenix, AZ is decent. Also Toshiba factory tech support for software seems good, but hardware tech support is among the worst I've experienced:

1st level tech: knows nothing about computers (What's the maximum memory capacity of model XYZ? "One-six-zero-G.B."), just types your inquiries into the same Ask Iris search engine that the public has to use.

2nd level tech: knows the very basics of computers in general, still has no access to non-public information.

3rd level tech: may understand specifics of Toshiba computers, can access non-public information. May be crabby and not let you speak to a supervisor or manager ("I'm the top of the top, baby!").

Comment

1. Memtest86 is good for testing the stability of the CPU, RAM, and any components related to that system.
                          2. I use a DOS version of Hard Disk Sentinel for testing hard drives in a system; this allows me to see if there are any problems with the disk itself, or with communication between the disk and the controller.
                          3. I have a device for testing power supplies that checks all of the voltage rails and tells me if any of them are out of spec. However, this doesn't test the supply under stress and I'll figure out how to test it under a load at some point.
                          4. I have Slax on a USB drive with a few tools loaded on it. One of these is 'System Stability Tester' which makes the system run at 100% by calculating pi to a specified amount of places (the more digits, the more resource intensive). If it can handle a full load for several hours, then I consider it stable.

That pretty much covers my toolkit.

Comment

Originally posted by larrymoencurly View Post
                            Was that Toshiba factory service or a local independent authorized repair center? Because I've heard the latter vary widely in quality, but the one in NW Phoenix, AZ is decent.
                            This computer went to Louisville, Kentucky.

Comment

Working...
                            X