Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung Plasma Tv with black vertical bar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Plasma Tv with black vertical bar.

Someone has a Samsung plasma tv model#Pn50a400c2dxza with a black
    vertical bar on the right side of the screen from top to bottom, and this tv is
    two years old. Can anyone offer any solution for this problem?

Re: Samsung Plasma Tv with black vertical bar.

Usually a bad panel. Sometimes fixable, often not. Would need a picture of the inside of TV to tell.
    Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
    For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

No, it's not the panel.

See this video:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXy2jHNpv_0

It is possibly fixable.
      "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
        No, it's not the panel.

See this video:
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXy2jHNpv_0

It is possibly fixable.
        It depends on the design. Some TVs have the X buffers off-panel which are replaceable - whereas others have the X buffers on the panel and replacing them is not possible.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Yea, but as the guy in the video points out, it's not the actual panel, the X Buffers were on the permanent cable coming out of the panel, so it's still not fixable, but there is nothing technically wrong with the panel itself.
          "We have offered them (the Arabs) a sensible way for so many years. But no, they wanted to fight. Fine! We gave them technology, the latest, the kind even Vietnam didn't have. They had double superiority in tanks and aircraft, triple in artillery, and in air defense and anti-tank weapons they had absolute supremacy. And what? Once again they were beaten. Once again they scrammed [sic]. Once again they screamed for us to come save them. Sadat woke me up in the middle of the night twice over the phone, 'Save me!' He demanded to send Soviet troops, and immediately! No! We are not going to fight for them."

-Leonid Brezhnev (On the Yom Kippur War)

Comment

Originally posted by mockingbird View Post
            Yea, but as the guy in the video points out, it's not the actual panel, the X Buffers were on the permanent cable coming out of the panel, so it's still not fixable, but there is nothing technically wrong with the panel itself.
            Suppose, but I'd still write the TV off either way, as the panel+cables is going to be very expensive.

Comment

You don`t know if it is a board or the chip on the ribbon cable. I have repaired over a couple hundred tvs so far. I learn something new on each one. Not always pattern failure.

I have had two plasma tvs with the vertical bar as said above. One was a burned chip on the panel ribbon cable.

The other had a bad board and a failed chip on the ribbon cable.

The chip looked ok but when I replaced the faulty board it still had a vertical bar.

The real problem here is people will make the tv dead (does not power on or blank screen) because everyone knows not to buy or take a tv with a vertical bar unless you need boards.

The one I have is a samsung and I use it for testing boards and learning.

Comment

In one case I have fixed the black vertical bar problem on an older LG plasma. It was just a resistor on the FFC that had a cold joint and had separated itself from the board. Tapping the bottom of the TV would sometimes fix it, but never for long. Fixed it with a bit of solder and a soldering iron.

Comment

Older is the key word here... as in 2005?

I think the older tvs were less of an issue and more repairable. I have a few of the oldie but goodies and I will not part with them.

Comment

I have the exact same issue on a Samsung P59D6500. It's on the far-left from top to bottom. It's approximately 4" wide. The TV got this issue around the 2-year mark and Samsung wouldn't do anything for me.

I've taken the back panel off and ensured the ribbon cables along the side of the TV are connected before but don't know if there is much else I can do.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comment

Is the whole bar black, or are there a few pixel lines within the bar?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                        Sorry old thread, but what difference would this make? I have a Samsung PN51E7000 which started out with a few thin vertical lines. It eventually turned into an entire vertical black bar about 3" wide with the thin vertical lines visible within.

I tried removing all ribbon cables going to the bottom (x-buffer?) boards and turning on the TV. The image was just dark noise, but the vertical black bar was still visible. This leads me to believe the problem is the chip on the ribbon cable going to the panel :/

In hopes for a cold solder issue, I tried flexing/tapping on the bottom boards, but the black bar remained. Even if it was that bottom board, the ribbon cable from the panel appears soldered or glued and I wouldn't know how to reconnect it.

It's pretty frustrating knowing that a little chip going bad can ruin an entire TV.
                        Attached Files

Comment

what does it mean if the black abr shows pixels inside? I have a samsung plasma with that issue. the bar is in the middle, where the two thin boards that control the vertical pixels are hooked together with jumper-wire type of connector. I can add a picture if that helps.

Comment

Usually a bad panel. Sometimes a bad control board. Check all ribbon cables.
                            Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                              did you have any ideas about this tom66?

Comment

im having a similar issue. I have a black bar straight down the center of the tv, and if you were to divide the tv into two equal squares, there is a thin strip right in the middle of the screen within the black bar. I opened the TV up, and the bar is located where there aren't any ribbon cables or anything going right to where the bar is generated on the screen. should I check one of the boards? I will open it up again if yall think its fixable. otherwise ill sell the boards and scrap the screen.
                                I upgraded to the newest firmware and it didnt change anything.
                                also the first time i turned the tv on after closing the back, I saw many green and red vertical lines for a split second during boot, right as it was pulling up the video input. I can't get the tv to show them again, so I dont have a picture.
                                model is pn50a450p1d.
                                thanks for any assistance. I bought this TV for cheap as-is, so i wont be distraught if its not fixable.
                                Attached Files

Comment

also that colored vertical line in the very center of the screen is there from the moment I hit the power button. so...dead panel, right?

Comment

Have you tried reseating all ribbons and cables? With power off and disconnected with 30 second drain time when you do the reseating.

Comment

Originally posted by heavymachines View Post
                                      Have you tried reseating all ribbons and cables? With power off and disconnected with 30 second drain time when you do the reseating.
                                      I will try tonight. I didnt do every cable, just the ones closest to the bar's area of the screen.

Comment

Originally posted by magister View Post
                                        I will try tonight. I didnt do every cable, just the ones closest to the bar's area of the screen.
                                        Yes
                                        Did I leave the soldering iron on?

Comment

Working...
                                        X