PC crashes/reboots. What can I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PC crashes/reboots. What can I do?

I decided to build a computer from parts that I have got for free or bought in the past

It would consist of
    Pentium 4 3GHZ Hyper-Threading 478
    Gigabyte GA-8IPE1000 Pro2 (with dead USB ports so I added a PCI USB2.0 card)
    2GB DDR 400MHZ Dual Channel
    Asus AH4650 AGP
    Hauppauge WinTV HVR1300 PCI

I did a clean install of Windows XP and 7 (dual boot).

The PC was stable until I installed the drivers for HD4650 and the Realtec AC97 soundcard. Since then it freezes randomly, especially when playing video games or videos. But it is also possible to freeze/reboot even when using Windows Explorer in Windows7 (Aero enabled).

I read somewhere online that these cards are not real AGP, but PCI-E with a southbridge onboard that does the conversion. I tried both the official drivers Asus provides for that card (http://support.asus.com/download.asp...sBPAoZ7MObqZTY) and the most recent AMD hotfix for AGP Radeon HD (http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles...AGPHotfix.aspx)

What else can I do to make it run?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by goodpsusearch; 03-22-2012, 09:52 PM.

Re: PC crashes/reboots. What can I do?

It could certainly be a driver issue, although the PSU could also be suspect if it has never been recapped. I see it is an Antec TruePower 2.0 which means it is a CWT built unit and likely full of Fuhjyyu caps. Having the Video drivers installed could be putting it under enough stress to either cause the voltage to drop or the ripple to go high causing instability and crashes if the caps are failing. Without drivers the video card will only run in VGA mode and thus not draw much power. I would probably at least open the PSU and check the caps for visual failure. There is also a possibility it is a motherboard issue since the usb ports are not working there could be a bad cap, cold solder, chipset issue, etc. that is causing this problem which could also be causing an issue with the AGP port. These are all possibilities, there are probably other possibilities that could be causing this issue as well.

Comment

Sometimes you need to completly uninstall your old drivers before installing new ones

FYI: I have the VRM version of that motherboard

also FYI: the my version of that board (which has the big vrm board next to the cpu) also had 3 bad nichis next to the memory
      Last edited by Uranium-235; 03-22-2012, 10:31 PM.
      Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
      ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

Power supply!
        Antec TP = BAD CAPS!

Comment

^
          He's probably already recapped it
          I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Use older ATI Catalyst drivers and see.

AC97 drivers -specific- for that board? Did you get them from Gigabyte. None listed for Win7...

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro....aspx?pid=1690

Try the Omega drivers:
            http://www.omegadrivers.net/index.ph...-2k&Itemid=65#

Try to use either 12v1 or 12v2 for the card only. e.g., 12v1 for mobo and drives, 12v2 for card. Perhaps causing an imbalance in the supply rails?
            veritas odium parit

Comment

Originally posted by dmill89 View Post
              It could certainly be a driver issue, although the PSU could also be suspect if it has never been recapped. I see it is an Antec TruePower 2.0 which means it is a CWT built unit and likely full of Fuhjyyu caps. Having the Video drivers installed could be putting it under enough stress to either cause the voltage to drop or the ripple to go high causing instability and crashes if the caps are failing. Without drivers the video card will only run in VGA mode and thus not draw much power. I would probably at least open the PSU and check the caps for visual failure. There is also a possibility it is a motherboard issue since the usb ports are not working there could be a bad cap, cold solder, chipset issue, etc. that is causing this problem which could also be causing an issue with the AGP port. These are all possibilities, there are probably other possibilities that could be causing this issue as well.

The power supply has been repaired and recapped.

I disabled the USB controller in the bios and nothing changed.

I also tried disabling the on board AC97 realtec audio.

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
              Sometimes you need to completly uninstall your old drivers before installing new ones
              done that!

Originally posted by Toasty View Post
              Use older ATI Catalyst drivers and see.

AC97 drivers -specific- for that board? Did you get them from Gigabyte. None listed for Win7...

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro....aspx?pid=1690
              http://www.realtek.cz/realtek-driver.php?realtek=sound

I selected ALC658 and then Windows 7 and got those:
              http://www.realtek.cz/realtek-downlo...LC658&system=5

Try the Omega drivers:
              http://www.omegadrivers.net/index.ph...-2k&Itemid=65#

Try to use either 12v1 or 12v2 for the card only. e.g., 12v1 for mobo and drives, 12v2 for card. Perhaps causing an imbalance in the supply rails?
              I will try the omega drivers! Thanks!

I will also test the voltages just in case.

edit:

I changed the AGP aperture settings but it kept crashing.

I updated the bios to the latest version.

I loaded the fail safe bios settings.

I disabled the realtec HD audio chip that HD4650 has on board.

I don't know what else I could do
              Last edited by goodpsusearch; 03-23-2012, 05:44 AM.

Comment

did you do a memtest/swap out with other memory?

I know you recapped but if you have another PSU you might want to try it, just for shits sake

Comment

Humor me and try the AC'97 driver from Gigabyte.

Try another video card perhaps?
                  veritas odium parit

Comment

did you do a memtest/swap out with other memory?
                    I 've done memtest several times and it passed with no errors.

I know you recapped but if you have another PSU you might want to try it, just for shits sake
                    Will do

Humor me and try the AC'97 driver from Gigabyte.
                    I tried installing the XP driver in Windows 7 at first and it didn't work well.

I searched the Intel website for the most recent 865 inf drivers but all I found was an autoinstall tool that thinks I have the latest inf drivers installed on both WinXP and 7.

I also tried the omega drivers but...
                    1) they were available only for WinXP
                    2) HD4000 series was not supported

Comment

Omega drivers have halted development due to an unfortunate situation of the developer himself.

The 865 chipset does not need any drivers for Windows 7. The 8IPE1000 is a good board but is prone to failing VRM caps especially with a power hungry CPU. Been there done that, so check and recap if needed. Also do me a favor and run IntelBurnTest to definitely rule out the CPU and RAM. I've had faulty RAM pass memtest before.
                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

I see 3 possible KGZ's on your VRM input, one of those might have gone bad from a power hungry 478 HT (KGZ's have crappy seals and sometimes they go bad without bloating)

Comment

Originally posted by Th3_uN1Qu3 View Post
                          Omega drivers have halted development due to an unfortunate situation of the developer himself.

The 865 chipset does not need any drivers for Windows 7. The 8IPE1000 is a good board but is prone to failing VRM caps especially with a power hungry CPU. Been there done that, so check and recap if needed. Also do me a favor and run IntelBurnTest to definitely rule out the CPU and RAM. I've had faulty RAM pass memtest before.
                          The VRM 6.3V caps are Rubycon MBZ and none is bulging. The ventilation is almost excelent.

I also tested the voltages with my multimeter and everything was ok.

I tried to touch the metal surface in the center of that kind of sticker on the top of the 4650 and I really burnt my finger
                          https://www.badcaps.net/forum/attach...4&d=1332474724
                          Is it normal to get that hot? The rest of the VGA stays really cool even when playing 3D games or 3DMark.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by goodpsusearch View Post
                            The VRM 6.3V caps are Rubycon MBZ and none is bulging. The ventilation is almost excelent.

I also tested the voltages with my multimeter and everything was ok.

I tried to touch the metal surface in the center of that kind of sticker on the top of the 4650 and I really burnt my finger
                            Is it normal to get that hot? The rest of the VGA stays really cool even when playing 3D games or 3DMark.
                            do you have another video card to narrow this down?

yes I notice the 6.3's are rubycons, but what about the 3 16v's to the left of it?

Comment

Is it normal to get that hot?
                              That's the VRM of the card. Yes it's usual to have it run hot, due to that heatsink being insufficient for the job (or rather, the manufacturer having cheaped out on the FETs).

IBT passed but you say you still get reboots... strange. +1 for trying another video card.
                              Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.

Comment

I haven't tried that yet.

yes I notice the 6.3's are rubycons, but what about the 3 16v's to the left of it?
                                They are KZG

That's the VRM of the card. Yes it's usual to have it run hot, due to that heatsink being insufficient for the job (or rather, the manufacturer having cheaped out on the FETs).

IBT passed but you say you still get reboots... strange. +1 for trying another video card.
                                Before running IntelBurnTest I took out the 4650, cleaned the contacts with alcohol and then reseated it. I also fiddled with the bios, didn't load the fail-safe settings this time, but manually chose the slowest available.

So far I get no freezing/reboots..... Do you think maybe it had to do with bad contacts or some bios tweaking?

Comment

Try with a LiveCD Linux distro and see what happens. If it keeps freezing, then it's a hardware problem.

If the problem is the hardware, then this is what I'd do:

1. Clean the RAM card with a white eraser.
                                  2. Check the airflow of the case. The temperature seems to be cold though(35ºC for a videocard is very low. I suggest to measure it with another software like SpeedFan or HWMonitor).
                                  3. Uninstall AC97 & ATI drivers from Safe Mode.

If it keeps freezing/crashing:

4. Disconnect the videoboard and then try again if it freezes/crashes.
                                  5. Unable AC97 from BIOS.

Comment

I also fiddled with the bios, didn't load the fail-safe settings this time, but manually chose the slowest available.

So far I get no freezing/reboots..... Do you think maybe it had to do with bad contacts or some bios tweaking?
                                    That system would be slow enough at maximum performance, i can't imagine it running on failsafes. Load optimized defaults and start from there.

Also hit CTRL+F1 while in the main BIOS screen to enable the advanced chipset configuration menu. A number of things can be fixed (or broken ) from there.

Comment

They are KZG
                                      if all else fails, try to recap those

what caps are next to the AGP slot?

you said bad usb ports, did you disable them in cmos (if possible). Sometimes when board electronics go bad they can cause wierd issues if enabled

Comment

Originally posted by Nocta View Post
                                        Try with a LiveCD Linux distro and see what happens. If it keeps freezing, then it's a hardware problem.

If the problem is the hardware, then this is what I'd do:

1. Clean the RAM card with a white eraser.
                                        2. Check the airflow of the case. The temperature seems to be cold though(35ºC for a videocard is very low. I suggest to measure it with another software like SpeedFan or HWMonitor).
                                        3. Uninstall AC97 & ATI drivers from Safe Mode.

If it keeps freezing/crashing:

4. Disconnect the videoboard and then try again if it freezes/crashes.
                                        5. Unable AC97 from BIOS.
                                        It was 100% hardware or bios related but now it's gone.

Cleaning the contacts and changing some bios settings did the trick.

you said bad usb ports, did you disable them in cmos (if possible). Sometimes when board electronics go bad they can cause wierd issues if enabled
                                        Yes.

That system would be slow enough at maximum performance, i can't imagine it running on failsafes. Load optimized defaults and start from there.

Also hit CTRL+F1 while in the main BIOS screen to enable the advanced chipset configuration menu. A number of things can be fixed (or broken ) from there.
                                        I am aware of that! I have a lot of Gigabyte motherboards.

I attach the settings that worked.

Thank you everyone for your help
                                        Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                        X