Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ga-8knxp

Hello Everyone,

I have attached an image of what I believe to be some bad caps. The motherboard will give off a sound of very fast beeps a couple of times on boot but nothing shows up on the screen, I have tried a different power supply and video card but both work fine in other systems which leaves it to the mobo, cpu or ram (pretty sure the ram and cpu are fine) alas I think its the mobo? Can anyone let me know if this sounds correct and if the image is showing bad caps have I just been lucky up to this point with it booting? cause they have beeen looking like this for awhile.

THanks

P.S. I just realized that I put this in the wrong thread (please move if possible) thanks
    Attached Files

Re: Ga-8knxp

it looks like you had a power supply that blew those, as they look baaaaad, I don't mean bloated but exploded-i'm suprised you didn't hear a pop

yes, replace them, but it might be too late for nearby components.
    Cap Datasheet Depot: http://www.paullinebarger.net/DS/
    ^If you have datasheets not listed PM me

Comment

What do you mean by nearby components? like other parts?

Comment

Looks like Rubycon, too!
        ASRock B550 PG Velocita

Ryzen 9 "Vermeer" 5900X

16 GB AData XPG Spectrix D41

Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 6750 XT

eVGA Supernova G3 750W

Western Digital Black SN850 1TB NVMe SSD

Alienware AW3423DWF OLED

"¡Me encanta "Me Encanta o Enlistarlo con Hilary Farr!" -Mí mismo

"There's nothing more unattractive than a chick smoking a cigarette" -Topcat

"Today's lesson in pissivity comes in the form of a ziplock baggie full of GPU extension brackets & hardware that for the last ~3 years have been on my bench, always in my way, getting moved around constantly....and yesterday I found myself in need of them....and the bastards are now nowhere to be found! Motherfracker!!" -Topcat

"did I see a chair fly? I think I did! Time for popcorn!" -ratdude747

Comment

The circuitry near those capacitors is probably related to the generation of proper voltage for memory (remember, power supplies give 3.3v, 5v and 12v but memories are either about 2.5v for ddr1 or 1.5-1.8v for ddr2/ddr3) .
          If so, the motherboard probably can't power/recognize the memory modules properly and beeps.
          I would also check the capacitors near the agp slot as that uses 3.3v/1.5v so it may receive power from the same place (but unlikely, it's a bit far away) and should also check the ones near the cpu socket (but if the problem you have is due to bad 3.3v from psu, shouldn't have problems with cpu area as that uses 12v)

Comment

This makes sense thank you would explain exactly what is going on will have a look at the ones around the video card (maybe post picks for confirmation)

Comment

Originally posted by Uranium-235 View Post
              it looks like you had a power supply that blew those, as they look baaaaad, I don't mean bloated but exploded-i'm suprised you didn't hear a pop

yes, replace them, but it might be too late for nearby components.
              I've seen many blown Rubycon MBZ like this - in all my cases, it was due to excessive heat (HP/Compaq DC5000 SFF computers have poor cooling design) so I doubt the PSU is the reason why these bulged. I suggest you check your computer and make sure it has enough airflow because Rubycon caps don't go bad for no reason.

In any case, just replace them and all should be well. For replacements, you can use Rubycon MBZ (MCZ is a slight upgrade in ESR, but they should also work) or Nichicon HM (HN is a slight upgrade but would also likely work). Not sure which series of Samxon correspond to these (most likely either GC or GD). All of these are available at the badcaps.net capacitor store.

Comment

Out of curiosity, what PSU do you use?
                I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

Well First it was an Enermax 350w whisper EG365 which eventually died and then I replaced it in 2005 with the Enermax 420w EG425P-VE sfma noisetaker which is still working to this day and afaik it could have been the first one or this one that caused the error no idea since it is a system that sits in the basement and I never physically see it unless something is wrong and I cant remote into it (like now) lol

Comment

If I'm not mistaken [and I might be] the Noisetakers were one of the Enermaxs with the conductive glue problem.
                    Mann-Made Global Warming.
                    - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                    Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                    -
                    You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                    -

Comment

Is this something I should worry about? Or something I could look into as I just picked up a new mobo and I will be using this psu with it. Not too worried though since the new mobo has a 4yr warrenty

Comment

The warranty doesn't cover being taken out by a PSU.
                        I love putting bad caps and flat batteries in fire and watching them explode!!

No wonder it doesn't work! You installed the jumper wires backwards

Main PC: Core i7 3770K 3.5GHz, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600, 240GB Intel 335 Series SSD, 750GB WD HDD, Sony Optiarc DVD RW, Palit nVidia GTX660 Ti, CoolerMaster N200 Case, Delta DPS-600MB 600W PSU, Hauppauge TV Tuner, Windows 7 Home Premium

Office PC: HP ProLiant ML150 G3, 2x Xeon E5335 2GHz, 4GB DDR2 RAM, 120GB Intel 530 SSD, 2x 250GB HDD, 2x 450GB 15K SAS HDD in RAID 1, 1x 2TB HDD, nVidia 8400GS, Delta DPS-650BB 650W PSU, Windows 7 Pro

Comment

actually this warranty covers anything its an over the counter exchange and if its broken due to power surge they dont question it or at least they have not yet.

Comment

hahaha. I didn't realize, I actually have a VERY similar version of this board

my boss gave me a GA-SINXP1394, included the VRM board. with SAME bloated caps, but not burnt like yours. still booted though

first pics i've taken with my blackberry curve, kinda sucks

I recapped them with some rubycon yxg's

and replaced some main vrm caps KGZ's with MBZ's.

I'm probably going to end up putting a P4 3.4ht chip I found in a laptop in here (laptop with a desktop chip, I know)
                            Attached Files

Comment

all I need to do now is clean the NB fan. my boss smokes like a stack and its stuck

Comment

Working...
                              X