ViewSonic VX2255WMB White Screen Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ViewSonic VX2255WMB White Screen Problem

I've already recapped this monitor, but I then had a white screen. I found that fuse F1 on the back of the LCD was blown so I replaced it with a LittleFuse 1.5A 63V SMD fuse. Is this the correct amperage and voltage for this fuse? Once I replaced it the monitor worked fine. However, when an additional monitor is added and all the screens go black for a moment as the new configuration is set the fuse blows again and I once more am left with a white screen.

My guess is that there is a spike that occurs (because of a bad inverter or perhaps transformer). I've tried to hit all specifics in the attached pictures.
    When it's plugged in I can hear a very audible buzzing noise coming from the transformer if that's what it is (circled in green). The other monitor that I have (same model) doesn't make this noise. I am I on the right track with this one or might it be something else? If I'm on the right track, can someone tell me what the specs are so I can find a replacement? Also if there's an easy way to test this please let me know.

I've included other pictures for reference and also to eliminate anything I've already tested. The transistors Q205 & Q208 tested with diode test and a resistance test and both passed.

If anyone can help me out with this one I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Attached Files

Re: ViewSonic VX2255WMB White Screen Problem

Originally posted by codeMonkey View Post
    I found that fuse F1 on the back of the LCD was blown so I replaced it with a LittleFuse 1.5A 63V SMD fuse. Is this the correct amperage and voltage for this fuse?
    If the original was "K", then 1.5A is correct according to

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=658938

I don't know about the voltage rating.

When it's plugged in I can hear a very audible buzzing noise coming from the transformer if that's what it is (circled in green). The other monitor that I have (same model) doesn't make this noise. I am I on the right track with this one or might it be something else? If I'm on the right track, can someone tell me what the specs are so I can find a replacement? Also if there's an easy way to test this please let me know.
    This website has two 2874 transformers, but they don't match yours exactly.

http://lcdparts.net/T.aspx

You can contact them for more details.

One has 610 ohms and the other has 650 ohms for its secondary resistance.

You can test your transformer with a ring tester or if you don't have one, try this method "Testing for Faulty Inverter"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNuGWBPRGKA
    --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Thanks a ton Retiredcaps. I'll test the inverter as soon as I get home from work. I'll post results and pics (if applicable) afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by codeMonkey View Post
        However, when an additional monitor is added and all the screens go black for a moment as the new configuration is set the fuse blows again and I once more am left with a white screen.
        So just to clarify.

1) If this monitor is used in a standalone configuration, then it works fine? If yes, what port are you using? VGA or DVI?

2) If this monitor is used in a dual configuration, then it blows the fuse? If yes, what is the other monitor's configuration?

3) What type of graphic card is being used to drive these monitors? Have you checked the graphics card for blown caps or bad transistors?
        --- begin sig file ---

If you are new to this forum, we can help a lot more if you please post clear focused pictures (max resolution 2000x2000 and 2MB) of your boards using the manage attachments button so they are hosted here. Information and picture clarity compositions should look like this post.

We respectfully ask that you make some time and effort to read some of the guides available for basic troubleshooting. After you have read through them, then ask clarification questions or report your findings.

Please do not post inline and offsite as they slow down the loading of pages.

--- end sig file ---

Comment

Originally posted by retiredcaps View Post
          So just to clarify.

1) If this monitor is used in a standalone configuration, then it works fine? If yes, what port are you using? VGA or DVI?

2) If this monitor is used in a dual configuration, then it blows the fuse? If yes, what is the other monitor's configuration?

3) What type of graphic card is being used to drive these monitors? Have you checked the graphics card for blown caps or bad transistors?
          1) I haven't tested the monitor in a standalone configuration. A bit daft on my part perhaps. Using DVI.

2) This monitor was used in a triple monitor setup. When I'd remove one of the other monitors for testing and all the monitors go black to adjust resolution properties this monitor will come up white screen (fuse F1 blown). This monitor and the other wing monitor have a resolution of 1650 x 1050 and the center monitor has a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

3) ATI Radeon 4870 2GB. I haven't checked it for blown caps so I'll do that as well tonight, but it's currently driving the center monitor with no issues. The other monitor is driven by an external USB DVI video card adapter. If I'm not mistaken I've tested the other dvi output from the video card with another monitor. In any case, once I've checked for bad caps on the video card I'll test it with one of my other old monitors.

Will post follow up.

Comment

You've checked the PSU for bad caps yes?
            I had one of these with bad caps - as have many other people.

Comment

Ok, Caps on the video card and on the monitor boards tested good. The transform that I thought might be the problem tested good as well I think. (It would be replaceable by PN:2874014700 on lcdparts.net.) The other inverter also makes makes some odd sounds but I'm less inclined to think that's my problem now, but it could be. I did note what looks like a bit of corrosion in the attached pics. Any ideas on how to test this inverter?
              Outside of that I think I've tested pretty much every resistor, cap and diode on the monitor. The only other thing of interest that I found is that the diode at D106 reads .008 in both directions. Since none of the other diodes be have in this manner might this be the culprit? I may be grasping at straws here, but I realized that I'm just about at a point where I'll have to throw in the towel.

Thanks for the input everyone.
              Attached Files

Comment

I've tested the video card itself with a dual setup (hdmi/dvi) and it works great. I think thus far the white screen problem has been the toughest thing I've tackled.

Comment

If you tested the diode out of circuit and got that then it's bad.
                  In circuit there might be a parallel path which makes the reading useless.
                  Mann-Made Global Warming.
                  - We should be more concerned about the Intellectual Climate.

-
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                  -
                  You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                  -

Comment

Good point. I'll have another go at it tomorrow. Thanks.

Comment

I don't know if bammbammfran is part of this forum but he seems to be a pretty good tech based on reputation. I'm going to put everything back together and focus testing on the board mounted on the back of the LCD. I've been assuming that the issue is happening before that board but that may not be the case. I'll post an update tonight after testing the board. If anyone knows of a component besides the fuse that usually goes bad on the LCD board let me know. Here's what bammbamm had to say:

f1 fuse on lcd screen board
                      If you mean the long narrow board that is attached to the back of the screen ? (first- that board is not removable) Second: if that is the fuse that is popping, then that board is more than likely the problem. Probably has a dead short in it somewhere, Ohm it out and you might be able to verify this.
                      You can check to see if too much voltage is getting to that fuse, but I have my doubts. Most screens are around 5 volts dc. I have seen a couple that run higher, but not often.
                      If the problem was in the dac board, it probably would not stay lit at all, if it stays on white screen then it is probably ok

- bammbammfran

Comment

I dunno what the 'long narrow board" is. - You didn't show one.

You 'corrosion' is just soldering flux.

When you have white screen it means the backlight [and so the inverter] is working fine but the video is not going through.
                        That would make the DAC or the GPU or the power board the probable faulty sections.

-
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

- Dr Seuss
                        -
                        You can teach a man to fish and feed him for life, but if he can't handle sushi you must also teach him to cook.
                        -

Comment

Originally posted by PCBONEZ View Post
                          I dunno what the 'long narrow board" is. - You didn't show one.
                          I'm guessing the long narrow board is the one bonded to the LCD panel (photo #4 in the first post).

Comment

Okay. - Didn't scroll up that far.

-

- Dr Seuss
                            -
                            -

Comment

I've checked EVERY single resistor on this monitor. I've come across 9 resistors that were shorted. However, I don't know the proper resistance measurements so if some one has the same monitor and can check I'd greatly appreciate it. There is I realize, a possibility that some of the resistors have to low a resistance for me to measure, but again I need some sort of confirmation. (I'm using a Mastech MS8268 DMM.) Picture 1 is of the video control card with the shorted resistors marked and picture 2 is of the LCD board that's attached to the screen. Where possible, I've marked what I think the resistances might be based on other resistors nearby. This is only done if there is a line of several resistors with the same value that lead me to believe that one shorted in the same group would have the same value.
                              Shorted resistors in question:

Pic 1:
                              R78 96.2KΩ (maybe, should be ?)
                              R22 ???
                              R39 ???

Pic 2:
                              R100 ???
                              R101 ???
                              R102 ???
                              R15 ???
                              R95 33Ω (maybe, should be ?)
                              R97 33Ω (maybe, should be ?)

Some of these are going to be a pain to solder, but if it works... woot!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Alright,
                                I guess it's time to through in the towel here. This is well beyond the scope of my knowledge and capabilities and there doesn't seem to be much to go on in regards to white screens.

I'm going to sell this one for $25 plus shipping to who ever wants this for the power board and back lights and any other useful parts. Otherwise I'll just toss it.

Thanks to everyone here for the help and advise.

Comment

Good day,

I have the same problem with VX2255WMB. Works just backlit. I replaced power board capacitors, checked fuses F101 and F200 - they are fine. Then I focused on "Don't touch" board. Fuse F1 (if it is a fuse at all) redings gave me infinite resistance, so I thought it is blown and shorted it for a test. Consequence of that - Q4 went to smoke. Now I dont know what this Q4 is. It is SOT-23 format, has code 10F on it. I found it might have a code ES4023NF at the smd codes catalog and is selled as "(Diode and triode)ES4023NF". Could someone help me figure it out what that part is?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

I attach photos.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Looks like it could be something like this: http://english.electronica-pt.com/smd-databook?ref=10F
                                      Originally posted by PeteS in CA
                                      Remember that by the time consequences of a short-sighted decision are experienced, the idiot who made the bad decision may have already been promoted or moved on to a better job at another company.
                                      A working TV? How boring!

Comment

Q4 is probably a N-channel MOSFET used as a cascode switch for the boosted "VAA" rail. I can't find any info on what it should be though.

Most likely, the cause is a shorted ceramic capacitor somewhere on that "VAA" rail or on VGH or VGL rails. Remove dead Q4 transistors and check all ceramic capacitors for short circuit. In particular, check caps C25, C26, C27, and C28 first.

And hopefully the lesson you learn from this experience is: never short out fuses.
                                        If you are lucky, that transistor and a shorted ceramic capacitor will be all you need to replace.

Comment

Working...
                                        X