Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Samsung 50inch Plasma - colored sparkles (videos in thread)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung 50inch Plasma - colored sparkles (videos in thread)

Hello everyone. I randomly came across this forum while trying to pin point the fix for the issue that i'm having. From what i've read so far there appear to be many knowledgeable people on here who know there stuff so hopefully i can leverage your awesomeness to fix my woes.

TV Model : HPS5053X/XAA
    This TV came with the house that I recently bought. Didn't realize it had flaws so I was pretty stoked about it. It is mounted to the wall about 6 feet in the air, so getting it down isnt easy for me. I plan on getting a buddy over to help me take it down while i trouble shoot and fix it (over the course of a few weeks i'm assuming).

I've had someone out already. We got it down off the wall and he took the back off. I remember him tapping the top of the big capacitors and saying that none of them appear to be blown, etc. I cant remember which board he said it was, but he couldnt guarantee that replacing the one board would fix the issue or that another board wouldnt fry in the near future.

My symptoms are the colored pixel snow all over the screen. they dont appear on dark blacks (like the screen that shows when no input is detected) ... they appear pretty much all over the screen, more dominantly in the the middle than on the edges ... they appear to be red and green specifically but i remember the guy saying it looked more like all colors. To me it looks as though its just red and green sparkles all over the screen.

At any rate, from all the research i've done it appears that the Y SUS, LOGIC board(which may be the same thing as the Y sus??), or the Power supply board.

I originally thought that my only problem was that the pentimeters(sp?) needed to be adjusted. the tv guy said that wouldnt fix it, but i made him mess with them anyway. The sparkles did appear to be get better, but they never fully went away. The TV is still watchable for sure, but i can see these sparkles and it drives me nuts. I also notice ghosting sometimes on certain scenes but i'm not sure if thats related or not. Its like the characters on TV have tracer shadows .. that doesnt happen all the time though.

I've read that if i replace one board i might need to replace them all. I've read that you need to replace the buffers of the x or y boards at the same time or else ... i've also read that if you do happen to get the right board replaced that you'll most likely have to readjust the voltages after installation and after it gets a few months (also read a few hours) of use to ensure the voltage stays the same.

I'm on a budget for sure but i figure if i replace a couple of boards over the course of a month or so for less than 300 bucks i'm doing pretty good. Hoping to get some good advice here on where to start and how to test a few things to ensure i'm going in the right direction.

I'm no electrical engineer by any means, but i like to think i'm capable of this type of thing. i'm less likely going to attempt to replace individual capacitors, but i'm fine with the board swaps. I'm more than comfortable working on cars, computers, houses etc. Replacing the board in the TV should be a simple affair and i'm not scared to measure resistance/voltage with my voltmeter either.
    I AM terrified of the stored voltage in the TV though. any tips on that would be greatly appreciated as well. I know i can just let the tv sit for a while to let it all drain out, but i'm not sure of the amount of time that requires.

here are the videos showing the symptoms
    (i'm not sure how to embed the videos, so here are the links)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4l9g0...2&feature=plcp
    Once the camera adjusts to the light, you can see the sparkles here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL3TY...1&feature=plcp
    In this one i'm trying to show that the sparkles dont show up in the black, but do in the blue menu boxes. When i show the black it appears kinda weird, but that's the just the camera. You should be able to see the sparkle in the blue towards the end.

also an external link to another site that i'm sure some of you have seen that shows exactly what my symptoms are like and what i've already done (adjust the screw voltages)
    http://www.jopezu.com/plasma.htm

I know this is a huge post and very long, but i'm just trying to be as complete as i can. I'm going to take the TV down in about two weeks (the wall behind the tv was never painted and looks horrible. We have a party coming up so i'm waiting till its over before taking down the tv) I can post pictures of the boards, etc at that time. I'm hoping to have a replacement board received already by the time i take the TV down if possible based on my symptoms evidence above ...

Thanks!!!
    -dustin

Re: Samsung 50inch Plasma - colored sparkles (videos in thread)

here is another video from far back and then going close to it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_zOV...Ndlrihyw2AD7Jj

also on this website there are numerous boards of the same type, but with different #'s ... needless to say i'm confused as to which one i should use. Is one a new type? new manufacturer? I guess i wont know specifics until i pop the back of the TV off again, huh?

http://www.encompassimaging.com/webw...MGHPS5053X/XAA

Comment

bumping up again.

i found some of the cheapest prices for the Y SUS and the upper and lower buffer online ... trying to hold off on buying them until after i take the TV down.

Comment

There are two causes of this problem:
        - bad Yfr/Yrr timings (set using the potentiometers).
        - corrupt/out of date logic board firmware (requires a re-flash or a new board NOT a used one) - also sometimes when replacing the logic board you need to replace the other boards at the same time.

If you post a picture of the Y-sus board (the board on the left, when you look at it from the back), then there may be adjustments you can make, but this doesn't always work. And randomly adjusting the potentiometers is NOT a solution. It sounds like the TV tech you had was a "board swapper" - with very little diagnostic or repair knowledge.
        Last edited by tom66; 01-03-2012, 01:33 PM.
        Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
        For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Thanks Tom,
          Yes the board swapping accusation might be dead on. he did seem like a nice guy, but i was hesitant to just start throwing new boards in there.

I've seen mention of updates to the firmware before, but i have no idea on how to go about acquiring said firmware and applying it even if i was to find it.

The logic board is not the same as the Y sustain, correct? In the parts list that i've found online for my TV model, the only reference to "logic board" is the ASSY PDP MODULE P-LOGIC MAIN B
          is that what you are referring to?

Comment

If that is in fact the board you are referring to then i have found it online for less than 50 bucks which is great, but you mention that i might have to swap out other boards as well.

Are you referring to ALL the other boards?

Comment

Originally posted by dustinarden View Post
              Thanks Tom,
              Yes the board swapping accusation might be dead on. he did seem like a nice guy, but i was hesitant to just start throwing new boards in there.

I've seen mention of updates to the firmware before, but i have no idea on how to go about acquiring said firmware and applying it even if i was to find it.

The logic board is not the same as the Y sustain, correct? In the parts list that i've found online for my TV model, the only reference to "logic board" is the ASSY PDP MODULE P-LOGIC MAIN B
              is that what you are referring to?
              Yes, there are several boards in a plasma TV:
              - Main board (small signal board, video input board...) - the one with the video connectors like HDMI on it...
              - PDP control / logic board
              - Y buffers (one or two)
              - X buffers sometimes attached to logic board
              - Y sustain (Samsung call it an Y main)
              - Z sustain (Samsung call it an X main)
              - plus others for extra features, e.g. more inputs, audio amplifier, button/PLED indicator/IR board...

The problem is with this problem is sometimes you need to swap the Y and Z sustains, as well as the PDP control / logic board, as they must be matched to each other.

This doesn't always apply though, sometimes just adjusting the pots is good enough.

Post a pic of the Y sustain and we can have a look at trying to adjust these potentiometers.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

ok will do.

I wont be taking down the TV until next week most likely (have to wait to get some help to take it off the wall) but i will snap a pic (as high of a quality as i can) and post it here. So until then I'll leave you alone, haha.

Thanks already for your help! Its good to know there are people out there willing to help a broke dude trying to raise a family on a budget ( a budget that doesnt include new 50 inch plasma TV's, haha)

Comment

Originally posted by dustinarden View Post
                  ok will do.

I wont be taking down the TV until next week most likely (have to wait to get some help to take it off the wall) but i will snap a pic (as high of a quality as i can) and post it here. So until then I'll leave you alone, haha.

Thanks already for your help! Its good to know there are people out there willing to help a broke dude trying to raise a family on a budget ( a budget that doesnt include new 50 inch plasma TV's, haha)
                  Worst case, sell it on Craigslist for $200/£150 (it's probably worth that much as-is), then buy a faulty 42" LCD like me (for just £20), replace four of the capacitors in it (cost=£5), and enjoy .
                  Last edited by tom66; 01-03-2012, 03:47 PM.

Comment

I saw the page you referred to...

The voltage adjustments are one way to do it, but there are also timing adjustments, and some other adjustments on the power supply. There are probably 10 or 15 adjustments in all.

Do you have a multimeter? If not, now would be a good time to go out and buy one - they are fairly inexpensive. Get a digital one, not an analogue one.

Comment

Yes i have a multimeter.

I will measure whatever needs to be measured in order to find out specifically what is wrong with my TV.

Comment

ok. Finally got the TV down.

took the back off and here is what i have. I took lots of pictures ... atleast one of each board ...

Here are Y Sustain board(s)
                        these were originally pretty large pictures (16MP) so if you want the originals let me know (to better diagnose) and i'll email them or provide better links possibly.

Comment

Could you post a close up of this area?

There looks to be only one potentiometer which is strange, but it's probably to reduce the cost.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Yes sir!

Comment

Okay, that's just Vsc. Not very important at the moment...

Try this area. It looks like something is here.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I'll snap some pics when i get home. I'll try to get some close ups as well as some shots from the side since that part of the board goes under the metal structure brace.

Thanks again for your quick help on this!

Comment

Comment

Okay, it looks like that little add-on board is a step-up rail - we can check that later but it's not always the cause of this problem. It looks to have a potentiometer, which is nice.

I'm struggling to locate the other potentiometers on this board, assuming it has any. Rather than me ask you to photograph more random areas with grey looking components, I'm going to ask you to look for any components like this. Samsung will have used the same component in multiple places to reduce the cost.

If you see a legend next to it, such as Vsc, Yfr, Yrr, then please post that with the picture.
                                    Attached Files

Comment

There is one other one on this board .. its up at the top middle and labeled YRR.

You can barely make it out in this picture

Here is the same picture but zoomed way in ..

Comment

hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                                        X