Samsung Plasma HP-T5054 Sound but no video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Samsung Plasma HP-T5054 Sound but no video

TV turns on and screen glows, has audio but no picture.

Saw there was some common failures with this model. But I don't see any obvious problems, Vs and Va both are good (207/63).

Glass fuses are good on PS, Ymain, and Xmain.

Had a similar model before Tom you helped it was a bulged cap and open through hole fuse by arrow in last pic (these are good), but everything else "looks" good here, not sure what to check now, this is only the 2nd plasma I've worked on.

May help to add that owner said it "Slowly" died, over the last couple months, if you kept turning on and off that eventually would get video and then a few days ago that ended...
    Attached Files
    Last edited by kevinm34232; 03-24-2013, 10:00 PM.

Re: Samsung Plasma HP-T5054 Sound but no video

Maybe this will help you out, I had the manual in my bag of files. check out 4-4 pg.31, it would be a good place to start.
    Attached Files
    “Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.”

Comment

check the buffers for blown chips if you see a burnt one then the y main is probally gone as well. high failure in these sets

Comment

Buffer chips look good as far as I can tell there is no obvious signs of catastrophic failure on the Y-Main.

Thanks aftonr that is very helpful I will run thru the flow charts in the morning.
        Last edited by kevinm34232; 03-24-2013, 11:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
          Buffer chips look good as far as I can tell there is no obvious signs of catastrophic failure on the Y-Main.

Thanks aftonr that is very helpful I will run thru the flow charts in the morning.
          You won't always get a visual indication, I did'nt. Meter for shorts on buffer and Ymain.

I had 3 TVs with same failure, upper buffer and the 88N30W FET/s shorted. Not the only things that fail but that is my only experience with these.
          Attached Files

Comment

Buffer testing video made by Tom66

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51SZsfH60EY

I'm currently having the same issue with a HP-t5064. Both of my buffers tested good. I'll be watching this. maybe we can bounce some ideas off each other.

https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27345

Comment

If the screen glows the Y-main is probably good, and the buffers probably are too.
              Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
              For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

So what should we be looking at next?

Comment

Control/main board.
                  https://www.badcaps.net/forum/showpo...61&postcount=2
                  Please do not PM me with questions! Questions via PM will not be answered. Post on the forums instead!
                  For service manual, schematic, boardview (board view), datasheet, cad - use our search.

Comment

Hey Tom this is the control board, do you know which pins?

Also 2 fuses good, there are 3 LED's, 1 solid and 2 below side by side flashing.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by kevinm34232; 03-25-2013, 10:29 AM.

Comment

bottom left corner area CN2010, pins 5-6

Comment

Thanks so the results show test patterns:

Solid white, green, blue and red screens,
                        then horizontal, vertical and diaganol test bars.

Comment

So it's main board 95% (control 5% if not receiving signal properly) or loose LVDS.
                          Panel is good, as are Y-main, Y-buffers, X-main, power supply, C boards; the control board is probably OK.
                          Last edited by tom66; 03-25-2013, 10:58 AM.

Comment

I wish I was so lucky.

Comment

Main board repair is harder than sustain repair!

Comment

Well thanks for diagnosing that so quickly. Anything in particular on the main board that it could be or is it a board replacement? I reseated LVDS cable 2x, no luck.

Comment

Regulators and crystals.

Comment

I checked a couple of the regulators, looks OK. I ordered a new main board for $40 so we'll see what happens.

Crappy thing is the SM page which describes the problem doesn't even list the main board as being a potential cause.. I woulda been way off..
                                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tom66 View Post
                                      Main board repair is harder than sustain repair!
                                      It's not the repair that I'm concerned about. It's the diagnosis. I got the scope from work today. Look for a post asking where to test from shorty.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinm34232 View Post
                                        I checked a couple of the regulators, looks OK. I ordered a new main board for $40 so we'll see what happens.

Crappy thing is the SM page which describes the problem doesn't even list the main board as being a potential cause.. I woulda been way off..
                                        It doesn't mention no picture but glowing screen? Because the diagnosis is completely different.
                                        Last edited by tom66; 03-25-2013, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                        X