X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fv24

Hello All,

2 things,

I got 2 FV 24 MB, and found the caps were bad. Bulging, leaking, and no boot, or any response when attempting to start it. Only thing that happened was the led on the boards lit, and the CPU fans spun.

I went and recapped both, however, I still had the same issues, no boot, no video, no bios beep, just led light and spinning fan.

I ended up selling one to someone in Florida. He called me a couple days later and said, Hey, I just plugged it in and it worked perfectly. Damn I said. Asked him how it got it to work, and he basically said, I did nothing.

Now, perhaps my PS and my Monitor are bad, but they both work with my other Desktop systems and Laptops.

I can't figure it out at all. Anyone have any ideas?

I have reset the bios multiple times, I have unplugged the IDEs, tried reseating the BIOS, I am gonna try using PS2 mouse and KB (I tried with a PS2 KB and USB mouse).

I am stumped. The guy in florida is willing to buy the second one I have, but I would rather get it to work.

OR

If someone wants to sell me a working FV24, if you have one, or know of a source of one on the Net, that would be great also.

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Michael

Re: Fv24

bad/wrong cpu?
    check everything twice!

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
      bad/wrong cpu?
      check everything twice!
      I know, but it feels like I have checked everything more then that. I have tried other ram, more ram, less ram. The CPU was working in the system before I bought it, but I will check it somehow. I think I have a compatible working CPU somewhere. I will swap them and see what happens. Will a bad processor cause the problems I am seeing. And, what about the first unit I sold to Florida, had the same issues, but appear to be working perfectly for him with no changes.

Maybe I have to rattle it around a little as if it was shipped.

Thanks for the help and suggestion,
      Michael

Comment

remember these do not support tualatins.
        got one in for recap a while back that had a p3s 1.26 in it.
        customer swore it once worked but shuttles website shows it as unsupported.
        put in a 1000/133/256 coppermine and it ran fine.

Comment

1) Are you using the original Channel-Well PSU of the SV-24 or another ATX PSU? The Channel-Well can develop bad caps easily.

2) Replace all the caps, including the small 1000/6.3 ones near the DIMMs/Northbridge that are not bulging. It may run at 66 MHz FSB with marginal caps, but not at 100 or 133.

3) It's finicky about SDRAM timings - some generic types don't work reliably. It's most reliable when FSB and DIMM clocks match - say 66/66 or 100/100.

4) 133 FSB is iffy, depending on the CPU, current consumption and heat generation. Coppermine 800/133 may work, but not 933/133 or 1000/133 on all FV-24s.
          Last edited by linuxguru; 05-12-2006, 10:30 PM. Reason: line breaks

Comment

Originally posted by kc8adu
            remember these do not support tualatins.
            got one in for recap a while back that had a p3s 1.26 in it.
            customer swore it once worked but shuttles website shows it as unsupported.
            put in a 1000/133/256 coppermine and it ran fine.
            The FV24 does NOT support Tualatin CPU's, but the FV25 does. That was the only difference between the two boards, well, that and one cap value varience between the FV24 and FV25.

I've never had any trouble running either the FV24 or the FV25 at 133FSB (with good caps of course), as long as it wasn't some failed overclocking experiment. As with any system, you want to use good memory.
            <--- Badcaps.net Founder

Badcaps.net Services:

Motherboard Repair Services

----------------------------------------------
            Badcaps.net Forum Members Folding Team
            http://folding.stanford.edu/
            Team : 49813
            Join in!!
            Team Stats

Comment

Working...
            X